Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #16

I'm very pleased you found a TW200, Weld! I look forward to learning from you, and sharing whatever information I can regarding the similarities between my Zong and your TDub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Spud, I've been perusing http://tw200.forumotion.com/ and http://tw200forum.com/ . I noticed that you're a member on both sites. ...
Indeed, I am. TW200forum.com is the most active forum for the TDub motorcycle. About a year ago the TW200forum was unmoderated, and plagued with trolls. :( As a result, several other forums were started. However, once the TW200forum began to be moderated, the disappointed members returned to it. I need to once again get more active on that forum; it has a lot of great information, and many helpful members.
Quote:
...The tire I'm looking at is the Shinko Golden Boy in 5.10 x 18. Shinko Golden Boy

I'm asking about the countershaft cover mod that you did on your Zong. I wondered if I could perform the same surgery.
The Shinko tires are manufactured in Korea. When I had the 18-inch, front wheel on my Zong, I mounted this tire in size 3.00-18. The tire is well manufactured, and represents a good value. It performs well in rocky terrain, and dry soil. However, this tire's Achilles Heel is mud. If you encounter even moderately muddy conditions, this front tire can clog immediately, and drop you in an instant, without any warning whatsoever. :( If you are going to ride in mud, you might consider mounting the Kenda, TrakMaster, size 100/100-18 tire on the TDub's front wheel. If you aren't going to ride in mud, you will undoubtedly enjoy the Shinko SR244 you are considering.

I think it's possible to perform my left crankcase cover modification on the TW200. However, most TW200 owners would disagree. The left crankcase cover on the TDub has a bearing which supports the bike's extra-long countershaft. This bearing is also lubricated by a small oil passage in the left crankcase cover. Therefore, if you section the crankcase cover, you will need to plug the oil galley leading from the front of the cover; however, I don't see any reason why a sealed bearing wouldn't perform equally well.

However, there is another, more serious factor to consider. The two, or more, bolts you use to attached the rear section of the crankcase cover must also be able to support any loads exerted upon it by the drive chain. However, the main countershaft bearing inside the engine is also helping to support these loads. Therefore, I think the crankcase cover modification is possible. Nevertheless, if the loads from the drive chain are too great, you could damage the main countershaft bearing in the engine, which would require you to split the crankcase for repairs. 8O My Zong employs a shorter, more conventional countershaft, so I didn't weaken the countershaft support when I sectioned the left crankcase cover on my Chinese clone.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Spud, I was looking at you Zong stickies, and I'm hoping to find more info about oil filters. I'm clear on the four hole requirement, and that there is a TW200 and Zong filter, but have you found other filters as well? I couldn't find that info in the oil change tutorial.

Also, the XT350 tank conversion link is dead. Would you have any other info about it?
Any oil filter designed for the TW200, XT225, TT-R225, or TT-R230 will work, Weld. The Zongshen oil filter will also work. Most, if not all of these filters are constructed of metal mesh, and are designed to be cleaned, and reused.

I will see if I can find you a good link for the XT350 tank conversion, Weld. However, I encourage you to also consider mounting an XT225 fuel tank, as I did on my Zong. Since I published my success with the XT225 fuel tank, several TW200 owners have successfully installed this fuel tank on their Yamaha bikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #18

Here's a link to the XT350, fuel tank conversion, Weld.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry29813

Use the search terms "XT350 tank" at TW200forum.com, and you will find many other links to peruse.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 AM   #19

Here's another interesting link on the XT350 fuel tank, Weld.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry28100

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I think it's possible to perform my left crankcase cover modification on the TW200. However, most TW200 owners would disagree. The left crankcase cover on the TDub has a bearing which supports the bike's extra-long countershaft. This bearing is also lubricated by a small oil passage in the left crankcase cover. Therefore, if you section the crankcase cover, you will need to plug the oil galley leading from the front of the cover; however, I don't see any reason why a sealed bearing wouldn't perform equally well.

However, there is another, more serious factor to consider. The two, or more, bolts you use to attached the rear section of the crankcase cover must also be able to support any loads exerted upon it by the drive chain. However, the main countershaft bearing inside the engine is also helping to support these loads. Therefore, I think the crankcase cover modification is possible. Nevertheless, if the loads from the drive chain are too great, you could damage the main countershaft bearing in the engine, which would require you to split the crankcase for repairs. 8O My Zong employs a shorter, more conventional countershaft, so I didn't weaken the countershaft support when I sectioned the left crankcase cover on my Chinese clone.
That's enough "howevers" to make me stick with the stock setup. Thanks for explaining it to me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Any oil filter designed for the TW200, XT225, TT-R225, or TT-R230 will work, Weld. The Zongshen oil filter will also work. Most, if not all of these filters are constructed of metal mesh, and are designed to be cleaned, and reused.
Thanks, Spud. I just wondered if there was an aftermarket brand that you have used successfully. I'm looking to minimize cost.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #22

Quote:
I will see if I can find you a good link for the XT350 tank conversion, Weld. However, I encourage you to also consider mounting an XT225 fuel tank, as I did on my Zong. Since I published my success with the XT225 fuel tank, several TW200 owners have successfully installed this fuel tank on their Yamaha bikes.

Spud
Thanks, Spud. After posting that question last night, I found an XT350 tank mod on a TW200 forum.

Also, Clarke now makes a TW200-specific tank, so if I go with a plastic unit, that's what I'd choose. YAMAHA TW200 (ALL YEARS) 2.7 GALLONS I think that 2.7 gallons would meet my needs.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #23

Great acquisition, Weld! I'm very excited for you and SOWAG.

I had a TW that I bought to teach my ex to ride on. Great little bike and it cleaned up well.

As one of the few (only?) people here to ride a few Zongs, with and without Spudwheels, and a TW I can say that they are all equally excellent.

I was riding the Cascade Mountians yesterday, pics and ride report pending, and saw an elk hunter dragging an elk out of the mountains on a dirt oly, non DS TW. I have a pic of it, never seen one of those before.

REMEMBER anything you need, like the speedo and case cover, can be had from ZS pretty inexpensively but not without aggravation... :roll:

How does she run?

Have you considered Spudwheels?

You'd sell the XL? That's a heck of a nice bike. You prefer the 2 stroke?

Just wondering.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #24

Check out this link to a very interesting TW...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2677080507.html

Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, Spud. I just wondered if there was an aftermarket brand that you have used successfully. I'm looking to minimize cost.
I'm using Zongshen oil filters, Weld. However, I also bought an OEM, Yamaha oil filter for a spare after I found a good deal on the internet. If you search you can find good deals on all the aftermarket oil filters, and even the Yamaha oil filters.

You only need one oil filter, since it is cleanable, and reusable. I prefer to keep a spare oil filter, so I can install a fresh oil filter, and clean the dirty one later, at my leisure.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:

That's enough "howevers" to make me stick with the stock setup. Thanks for explaining it to me.

I don't blame you. I think that's a wise decision. Because of the extra-long countershaft, you will need to remove the entire, left crankcase cover to replace the countershaft sprocket. Therefore, I encourage you to get a spare gasket for the left crankcase cover.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Quote:

Spud
Thanks, Spud. After posting that question last night, I found an XT350 tank mod on a TW200 forum.

Also, Clarke now makes a TW200-specific tank, so if I go with a plastic unit, that's what I'd choose. YAMAHA TW200 (ALL YEARS) 2.7 GALLONS I think that 2.7 gallons would meet my needs.
Yes, I almost forgot about the 2.7-gallon, Clarke fuel tank designed for the TW200. :roll: I thought you might want a larger tank than 2.7-gallons. Some guys are still opting to modify the larger fuel tanks, even though the 2.7-gallon tank is available. If you're patient, I'm sure you can find a good deal on a used, steel, XT350 fuel tank.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't blame you. I think that's a wise decision. Because of the extra-long countershaft, you will need to remove the entire, left crankcase cover to replace the countershaft sprocket. Therefore, I encourage you to get a spare gasket for the left crankcase cover.

Spud
That, or I can let it leak on my shop floor, like the rest of my junk. :x

Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Check out this link to a very interesting TW...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2677080507.html
I followed that build on a TW forum; he's very creative. The tool tube is made from a stainless toilet bowl cleaner holder.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Great acquisition, Weld! I'm very excited for you and SOWAG.

I had a TW that I bought to teach my ex to ride on. Great little bike and it cleaned up well.

As one of the few (only?) people here to ride a few Zongs, with and without Spudwheels, and a TW I can say that they are all equally excellent.

I was riding the Cascade Mountians yesterday, pics and ride report pending, and saw an elk hunter dragging an elk out of the mountains on a dirt oly, non DS TW. I have a pic of it, never seen one of those before.

REMEMBER anything you need, like the speedo and case cover, can be had from ZS pretty inexpensively but not without aggravation... :roll:

How does she run?

Have you considered Spudwheels?

You'd sell the XL? That's a heck of a nice bike. You prefer the 2 stroke?

Just wondering.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
The bike you saw was likely a BW200; I think that's the engine that the Zong is patterned afterm because it lacks the long countershaft of the TW200. My buddy had one, until it was ripped off. :x

I will keep ZA in mind as a parts source. I gotta watch the budget.

The TW hasn't run yet. I hope it does.

The XL is currently for sale. Too many cons to keep it, like no title. The TW has a title, and is a much better score.