Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

I do not have the MCO but...

The bike was already registered and tagged. I assume that it still has a current inspection as the former owner had to do this stuff to get the plates right? (The plates expire december 17)

Will I still need the MCO, or did the previous owner do all the work for me?

I am hoping I will just go down there, get the title in my name and get new plates.

What do you think? Tips? Comments?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
The bike was already registered ...
Most important doc is the legal "bill of sale" http://freewordtemplates.net/bill-of...l-of-sale.html in used vehicle sales...
===
Contact ur local DMV 1st. Worst case previous owner needs to fill that headache doc... http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyin...ling-a-vehicle https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-transfers.php

Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
The bike was already registered and tagged. I assume that it still has a current inspection as the former owner had to do this stuff to get the plates right? (The plates expire december 17)

Will I still need the MCO, or did the previous owner do all the work for me?

I am hoping I will just go down there, get the title in my name and get new plates.

What do you think? Tips? Comments?
In most states, if a bike has a plate on it and is legally registered, there is a title to go with it. Some states don't title bikes below a certain displacement or vehicles in general older than a certain age, but with a newer bike like the Hawk, if it had legal plates on it, there was almost certainly a title.

A bill of sale is nice - it establishes what you paid, which you'll generally be taxed on. But the title is required. The seller is responsible to give you a properly signed-off title. Some states require the title be notarized when the seller signs off on it, some don't. But you definitely need the title. Title establishes ownership, not bill of sale in most cases. That is why it is called the title.

Get with the seller and get the title from them; if they don't have it, there has to be a reason, and it may not be a good one for you.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Thanks fellas I have a title the owner signed and a certificate of title transfer as well. I hope it all goes well. Thanks for the replies.