Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

New UK Skyteam V-Raptor 250

Hi,

Have just ordered a new 250 Raptor in Blue. Dealer has had it in stock for ages so I got it at less than cost price of a new one on-the-road and delivered as well. Also, Skyteam now keep all stock in Germany for distribution and for the forseeable future, only black machines are being imported, so if you are after a different colour, then get one quick!

I hope to get it in the next week or so, just arranging insurance for it.

Like everyone else, I will be adding to it and hope to make a few mods over the coming months
  • Small topbox (removable) to put helmet in when left at the station, otherwise removed.
  • Side panels repainted black, or maybe carbon-dipped
  • Front and rear mudguards / fenders painted black (? too expensive to dip?)
  • LED headlight bulb or maybe xenon (BA20D bulb fitting, I believe)
  • Investigate extra cree front lighting / light modulator
  • Brake light modulator / flasher (flashes 5 times then on)

Hope to post some pics soon . . . . .

Jeff

Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

Congratulations on getting a great deal on your new motorcycle. We eagerly await your photographs.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks!

How do you get the threads to display #1 to #99 rather that the latest post first? This is the only site I have this issue with - I have a Macbook Air.

Photos soon, I hope!

Jeff

Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHSPACE View Post
Thanks!

How do you get the threads to display #1 to #99 rather that the latest post first? This is the only site I have this issue with - I have a Macbook Air.

Photos soon, I hope!

Jeff
I suggest you check the settings in your user control panel. I am unfamiliar with your Macbook Air. By default, the posts should display in ascending order.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Thanks, found it, it wasn't showing on the drop down, just Linear / Hybrid / Threaded - UNLESS you went to CP and then up-arrowed in that section and "Linear Newest First" / "Linear Oldest First" became visible. It was set to "Linear Newest First" as the default.

All the best

Jeff

Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Wow, I thought the default setting was 'linear oldest first.'

I'm glad you corrected the problem.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #7

Welcome, Jeff! Congratulations on your new bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #8

Thanks, hopefully the insurance will be sorted today. Here, before you can get the vehicle registered with the Government and get the vehicle excise licence (annual road tax £38/USD60) you have to produce an insurance certificate.

To get insurance, you need a vehicle registration number and to get that . . . .

You get the idea!

Then we have to attach the registration plate on the bike that measures a whopping 9" x 7" so as to be clearly seen by the ANPR camera system used in the UK to check your tax and insurance are all up-to-date (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) as well as speed cameras etc. I agree the system is useful and necessary but the 'plate is the size of a small advertising hoarding!!!

A lot of people have "show" plates made which can be smaller, but are illegal to use on the road - and can lead to a £60 fine and penalty points on your licence which can increase your insurance costs when you renew as you have to declare any points received.

Ah, for the care-free days of getting on a bike, tying down the flaps of your cloth cap and "thumping" along the country lanes for a ride-out (possibly with your man-servant following along in the Bentley with a buffet lunch). I wish.

Jeff (who has been riding motorcycles for 45 years without the luxury of a man-servant)

Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHSPACE View Post
Ah, for the care-free days of getting on a bike, tying down the flaps of your cloth cap and "thumping" along the country lanes for a ride-out...
...and trying to attain the elusive ton, which is suitable for bragging rights at the local transport caff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...and trying to attain the elusive ton, which is suitable for bragging rights at the local transport caff.
Yep, and picking the flies out of your teeth before the obligatory tea and bacon butty - equivalent of the fishermans "it was that big but it got away" trip out on a boat around the harbour

Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

Well, change of plan - the dealer has let me down badly - he had had the bike in stock for a year so was going to give it to me at cost. He then sent photo's of the bike and there was a small scratch on the tank, not an issue as it was an almost invisible mark. In the photo's the frame looked dull so I questioned him and it would appear the bike had been in the shop window and the sun had faded the black paintwork on the frame. It looked like chocolate goes when it is stale, a kind of milky film.

I asked him if it would polish-up and he said he would get back to me. 4 days later . . . nothing heard.

Anyway, if he wasn't bothered if I bought it or not he can keep it! I didn't fancy a bike that looked "old" even with no miles on the clock. So . . . . still looking around.

Jeff

Old 05-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

If the price was right, I'd deal with a little fading. Paint is cheap.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Yes, in principle I agree. But if the dealer is that bad trying to sell it, what kind of support will I get going forward?

Also it looks like the Skyteam dealerships are imploding and a lot of dealers are dumping their stock of these. There are very few 250's and 125's are going for £1200 / $1800. Difference in price between a 125 and 250 is not worth double - the 250 retails at £2300 / $ 3400 in new condition.

So it looks like these bikes are not popular and dealers are walking away.

Time, I think, to step away and review.

I may get a little cheap scooter for the summer to ride to and from the station / shops and keep an eye out for something "special" in the meantime.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #14

It's probably a good time to share that you'll largely be on your own with a China bike. They require a good amount of independence and a good sense of humour.

That's the very reason that this forum was created; we support one another.

I really wish we had the 250 V-Raptor in Canada.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #15

I'm not quite sure what the "strategy" of the UK Skyteam importer is, but this week I wanted again to get some parts for my 250 V-Raptor and once more was just struck with the prices on http://www.skyteamparts.com/

11.88 pounds for a turn signal light?! Really?! I ordered a set of 4 of pretty much the same turn signal lights for 8 pounds from ebay.

Or 15.18 pounds for the headlight back cover (which is just a freakin' black plastic bowl, for heaven's sake!!!)? And on top of all that shipping costs seem as if they personally will drive to deliver the parts to my door...

I guess they've forgotten (or missed completely) why we buy and ride "Made in China".