Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #1

Jim's Gio Beast

While I haven't really been in the market for an atv, but I've been keeping an eye out (as may have been noticed in the craigslist topic)... I would also add in that the enablers (or as some prefer to be called facilitators) also aided in leaning me towards buying one...

The other thing was I'm pretty cheap, there was a few recently I was looking at but the first one sold just before I made the guy an offer and the second was asking more then I wanted to pay...

I figured I would just be patient and wait for the right deal to pop up on craigslist. Well it didn't... It turns out my sisters boyfriend had one he wanted to get rid of. And when he was describing it he threw in the, well it's just one of those Chinese knockoffs... I liked the way it was going... He did tell me it needed work and wasn't running. The body is taken off it, and he untied the wires to try and trace the issue. He figures it's the coil. I didn't want to make an offer and offend him however, so he finally came up with a number and said he'd be happy to get a hundred bucks for it! I think I found my deal

So I picked it up today (my dad took me over with his truck since I've only got my car on the road). It does need work. The front left tire was flat. The headlight lens is broken (missing completely). There is a crack in the weld on one of the swing arms cross members. The counter sprocket cover is missing (it was broken when the chain snapped in the past apparently), if anyone knows where I can find one cheap that would be great. The levers and one of the perches are junk. One of the cooling fins is cracked, and the cooling fan is missing from the fan body. And it needs to get running again. I'd say the worst part is the wiring, it doesn't look like any of the connectors are connected anymore, and it's not all there. I think it's mostly there. The coil and plug wire are missing, but he said he has it and will get it to me. He told me when we picked it up if there is anything else he'll find it for me. Oh and the battery is working. I think that's it for now...

I still need to finish my 350 Honda, but it doesn't have a lot left, so I may work on this before too long. If I get it running I want to get it put back together and do the upgrades Weld&Grind and TurboT recommend. Carb, shocks, exhaust, etc...

One thing, I believe it has a twist grip throttle, is that something that the older beasts had? The pics I see in the auction have the thumb throttle...

It was made in 2007 according to the sticker. I don't know if it's a zong or lifan engine, I'm going to try and clean the motor off a bit so I can read the stamp on it.

I threw the plastic on just to have a look at it.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #2

Wow! I've never seen one with all the plastics off . Wiring does look a little messed up but they are quite simple so it shouldn't be too hard to sort out. I think there was a wiring diagram floating around the site for the Beasts... I can't remember if it was one of PCD's posts, or if waynev posted it. The engine in my 2009 is a Zongshen but I'm not sure if they were using the Zongshen engines in the 2007's as well? Once you get it up and running and tuned it's actually quite amazing how good those overhead valve 200cc's run. I suspect it's nothing major keeping it from running... Usually if it will turn over it can be made to run. Grats on the new project, youll have a blast with it .

Cheers,
Stew

Edit: Here is a thread with a pic of the diagram... PCD posted it but the flash kind of messed up the middle of the pic. I think there's another thread with the diagram as well. Not as daunting when you have the pic to work with
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wiring+diagram

Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #3

Thanks Stew I appreciate that, was hoping to find a diagram Once I get the rest of the pieces from Matt (the guy I bought it from), then I'll start connecting things and see where it goes... He figured it was the coil, I don't know a lot about ignition but I've heard the cdi is a common cause of trouble... I don't seem to have that, but maybe he has it with the other stuff he has...

Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #4

I do prefer facilitator, but I would also accept "equipping elder".

That is exactly the same as T's beast. That twist grip was added by somebody, and you might not like it. You don't lean into turns with a quad like a bike, so you can have trouble operating the throttle when in a hard left turn. I'm sure a Gio replacement will be cheap.

I have spare CDI's and coils laying around, and you won't need the fan; it's largely decoration, unless you do a lot of low speed riding. We can easily use my Beast as a reference to correct the wiring on yours. No way would I use those lights unless you add a relay.

Don't worry about the sprocket cover yet. You might not care that it's missing. Most serious motocrossers remove them to facilitate cleaning.

My Beast and TurboT's Beast were made in the same month, yet mine says Zongshen and his does not. Who knows how many factories were making them.

When would you like the swingarm welded up?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #5

Yeah I am pretty sure I want to swap it back to a thumb throttle... If that twist grip is something you could use for your project it's yours (once I get a replacement)... I do have to confirm that it is a twist grip and I am not just remembering incorrectly.

The only thing with the cover is I figured it may help to keep my pant or shoe lace from getting caught in the sprocket and chain.

The swing arm can wait until after I get it running, but I think we can handle that... Either my dad will do it, or will show me how... Thanks for the offer though

The fan I figured wasn't necessary, but if it did need replacing I'd find a cheap computer fan or something, gio wants too much for theirs.

As far as the lights go, I was planning on pulling off the added driving lights, and if I found a replacement headlight fixture for it putting that back on it. I'll probably pull off the tail light and throw on one of those 50 diode led's as well.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #6

I spotted your response (in another forum) to the throttle I can contribute, and I'd be grateful for your twist grip.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #7

Sounds like we have a deal then It's hard to keep up on the conversation when it keeps changing locations :P

Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #8

Yep, that's my ADD kicking in... oh look, a spider!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #9

I'm just as guilty :P

Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #10

Congrats on club membership, Jim.

I do believe there is a set of shocks with your name on them on here from some nice guy named Waynec. I'd send him a PM.

The machine does look better with the body kit on.

My fan was smashed too, still not working, never had an issue.

I have spare CDi's around too. Easy to trouble shoot that stuff.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #11

Congrats on the ATV. You said the front sprocket cover is broken from the chain coming off? Could have damaged the wiring down there and cause a no spark situation.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

Turbo I think someone already claimed those, but I also sent a PM to check, but I'm bidding on some at the gio auctions too... The only thing is the rear isn't included with them.

I'll probably pull the fan housing right off.

Cal it's possible, I think he said it was working after that though, I believe he said it was running good but just died and no spark after, but I'll try and get all the wiring straightened out, it's pretty messy right now. I have no idea what he did to it, for some reason one of the battery wires was ripped off the battery rather then undoing the connection for example. The wiring also looks butchered up where the additional driving lights were added.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #13

When buying from Gio auctions, how do I combine shipping? Do I just hold off paying until I get the other items, or do I need to contact them?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #14

Just hold off on paying until you've bought everything you want. IIRC, you have four days.

You won't need the rear shock right away. TurboT and I are still using the stockers in the back.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #15

Sounds good thanks... I have the day off today it turns out, so I'm going try and cleanup the wiring and stuff a bit, and swap the rear tire on the honda. I'll grab that fender, and take a picture of the controls on the cb... I'll also pull off the twist throttle if that's indeed whats on the beast. If I'm forgetting something let me know.