Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

Longer sidestand

have always been one to stand on the peg and climb on the bike. The factory lean angle on the RX3 is too much and when you put any pressure on the peg, all the weight is transferred to the footpad, almost none to the tires. More than once I've almost had a bad event play out.

Playing with some scrap flat stock, I came up with 11/16" rise. This seemed to be about perfect. It's still stable, wind isn't gonna knock it over, nor will a hard nudge, but the tires take almost all my weight during mounting.

I cut the spring peg off, and the flanged end where it mounts to the bike. The new pad is 3/8" plate I zipped out with a plasma cutter. The new rod is 3/4" steel. It took a few tries to get the angle and placement right on the pad before I welded it out. It's about perfect. We had 60mph gusts across the lot yesterday and when I went out to see if I needed to tie it to a post, it was rock steady. Not even rocking. BTW if you see a brown boonie hat, please let me know, esp those outside of the USA. It did end up right at 11/16" additional length overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200210_074725.jpg (99.3 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200210_074754.jpg (96.1 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200207_110547.jpg (95.0 KB, 440 views)

Old 02-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

I never stand on the pegs to get on, unless it's a tall motocross bike. What problem have you run into? But I too have wanted a bit of a longer stand. I'm looking at just cutting a plate/plates to add to the bottom of the foot. It would also fix the problem of sinking into hot asphalt in summer (I live in Phoenix, we carry little discs to put under the sidestand).

Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I never stand on the pegs to get on, unless it's a tall motocross bike. What problem have you run into? But I too have wanted a bit of a longer stand. I'm looking at just cutting a plate/plates to add to the bottom of the foot. It would also fix the problem of sinking into hot asphalt in summer (I live in Phoenix, we carry little discs to put under the sidestand).

The factory stand let's the bike lean way over, which puts a lot of static pressure on the pad. This can/will cause it to punch through soft ground, or in your case, hot pavement. In my case, when I transfer my body weight to the peg to mount it, because of the lean angle, the tires and suspension don't get any of my body weight. This causes the pad to push through all but the hardest ground. I've had back a knee surgery, so I can't easily just step over it, even though I am plenty tall enough. The longer stand keeps the bike more upright, which transfers my body weight to the tires and suspension, not the pad.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Tires?

Nice job on the alteration. It looks like you have tires with a more aggressive tread than standard, are they serious knobbys? Also, are you running 19 or 18 inch front wheel?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecase09 View Post
The factory stand let's the bike lean way over, which puts a lot of static pressure on the pad. This can/will cause it to punch through soft ground, or in your case, hot pavement. In my case, when I transfer my body weight to the peg to mount it, because of the lean angle, the tires and suspension don't get any of my body weight. This causes the pad to push through all but the hardest ground. I've had back a knee surgery, so I can't easily just step over it, even though I am plenty tall enough. The longer stand keeps the bike more upright, which transfers my body weight to the tires and suspension, not the pad.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #5

I am running the shinko 804/805 crossfly combo on the stock RX3 wheels. The front is a 19 I believe. So far I am quite happy. They do very good in moderate sand and mud. Gravel and general use is very good. Highway wise they are very stable and more than acceptable as a crossover tire. I will probably buy them again.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecase09 View Post
have always been one to stand on the peg and climb on the bike. The factory lean angle on the RX3 is too much and when you put any pressure on the peg, all the weight is transferred to the footpad, almost none to the tires. More than once I've almost had a bad event play out.

Playing with some scrap flat stock, I came up with 11/16" rise. This seemed to be about perfect. It's still stable, wind isn't gonna knock it over, nor will a hard nudge, but the tires take almost all my weight during mounting.

I cut the spring peg off, and the flanged end where it mounts to the bike. The new pad is 3/8" plate I zipped out with a plasma cutter. The new rod is 3/4" steel. It took a few tries to get the angle and placement right on the pad before I welded it out. It's about perfect. We had 60mph gusts across the lot yesterday and when I went out to see if I needed to tie it to a post, it was rock steady. Not even rocking. BTW if you see a brown boonie hat, please let me know, esp those outside of the USA. It did end up right at 11/16" additional length overall.
I think I got your hat - plz come collect it!