Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #31

Spanish Fly racing got back to me and based on the measurements I sent them they don't have a spark arrestor that will fit. they said if we sent them a muffler that they could make something up for us. It would be the cost of shipping the muffler there and back, plus $100 for the spark arrestor. I had reached out to CSC and they had some interest in this product. I'm going to let them know and see if they want to work with them on the development of this for the RX3 and TT250.

I'm still waiting on word back from USFS on my follow-up question. to see if a SA is needed.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #32

I emailed CSC about the opportunity to get plug in SA's made for the RX3 and TT250 and they have replied that they will reach out to Bret at Spanish Fly to see what they can work out. They'll let me know if they create a product so we can go purchase it. Not sure if it will be OEM'd by CSC or if Spanish Fly will sell it directly.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
The description on this one doesn't include any language for a spark arrestor.
3 Banger, that looks like the same unit as mine. About the same price too. I didn't want to cough up multi-hundreds of $$$ being a China Rider.

fj, I can't remember if the Amazon add for my unit said anything about spark arrestor but I can tell you for positive that it will pass the "coat hanger test". The entire little baffle is blocked off at the end and the gasses have to pass around it through small holes....and before I drilled more, there were only 9. I can't imagine this muffler being put on a 650, as it was advertised. That would have been the most choked up 650 on the planet.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #34

DIY spark arrester

Hi guys!

Wasn´t looking for a spark arrester but a simple way to make my bike quieter, and since a week I´m testing this: a piece of stainless steel braid inserted on the exhaust pipe.

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  77.9 KB

Those flexible conduits are 3/4" x 10" for Ex (explosion-proof) electrical equipment (the external braid is around 1" diameter); I saw some flex hoses used for sanitary purposes that had simmilar braids.

Here is a YouTube video:
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 11-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCircus View Post
Hi guys!

Wasn´t looking for a spark arrester but a simple way to make my bike quieter, and since a week I´m testing this: a piece of stainless steel braid inserted on the exhaust pipe.

Those flexible conduits are 3/4" x 10" for Ex (explosion-proof) electrical equipment (the external braid is around 1" diameter); I saw some flex hoses used for sanitary purposes that had simmilar braids.
Very nice, Juan Carlos. A soft song is more soothing when one wants to relax.

How many cm did you use?

Jay.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #36

Used around 20cm (8 inches): my bike´s muffler doesn´t allows more than that.
The argentinian RX3´s has two muffler versions: 2015 to mid-2016 were using a 32mm (1-1/4") almost straight internal pipe; newer ones has a 23mm (1-7/8") pipe with some sort of baffle very close at the exit.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #37

Built one!

Since I couldn't find a spark arrestor that would work for the RX3, I decided to build one. I ordered a Pro Moto Billet Screen Spark Arrestor, Model: PMB-99-0003 off of eBay for $14.20 and then ran to Lowes home improvement and purchased a 7/8" to 1 3/4" stainless steel hose clamp. A 2 pack was just $2.

I started by taking my Dremel and cutting the screen away from the metal housing.

Next I pushed the screen into the exhaust using the handle end of a screwdriver to make it easier to push and to center. I did this until about 3/8" was still sticking out.

Next I folded over the edge of the screen over the exhaust pipe

Then I adjusted and slid the hose clamp over the end of the screen and clamped down. I then marked the hose clamp so I could cut down the length of it.

I cut the host clamp down and then rounded the ends so I wouldn't cut myself.

Looks pretty good, is a certified USFS spark arrestor screen and is super easy to put on and take off.

It's pouring rain here but once it dries up a bit I'll ride the bike around and see if there is any issues due to back-pressure increased from the screen blocking some of the exhaust flow.

Pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (30.7 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5315.jpg (85.2 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5313.jpg (90.1 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5316.jpg (83.8 KB, 662 views)

Old 11-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #38

FJ, can you give use a link to the exact one you purchased on Ebay? there seems to be several sizes that look like yours. First class idea, easy to do and reversible for when your down on the salt flat setting records. Thanks, rj

Old 11-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #39

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-MOTO-BIL...589474?vxp=mtr

Old 11-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #40

I got a chance to ride the bike today with the spark arrestor installed. It both idled and rode exactly as it does without it. So I think it's going to work out well. I'm going to print out a receipt for the SA and something from the manufactures web site stating the USFS certification in case I get asked...I'll keep with my registration and insurance.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #41

Well, if you can imagine this, I received an email from the US Forest Service today. It was in response to my follow-up questions about Spark Arrester requirements at the federal level. Previously I was told that a SA was required by the USFS. Washington DNR had said that a DOT approved exhaust was sufficient. Today after a month or so I got the following which now matches the DNR.

Joe

Sorry for the long delay answering your question, however I am the new Spark Arrester Program Lead and I did not start working with the forest service until this month.

To try and answer your question, if your bike’s exhaust system is stock you are good. All OHVs sold in the states must meet SA requirements set forth by 36 CFR 261.52. If they are sold in the US they are and must be certified here in San Dimas, CA. Also you should not need to provide certification of your bike’s SA being present, there could be an exception but I am not sure or aware of an example. If you were to modify or remove your SA, and not replace it was a 36 CFR 261.52 approved SA, you could be liable in the event you caused a fire.

So I believe as long as your motorcycle is stock, you’re just fine to ride. Get out there and enjoy those FS and state lands, I know I do.

Happy and safe riding.

Matt Von Bargen

Your Question:

Hello, I have a 50 state EPA/CARB D.O.T. certified adventure motorcycle which is plated for street use. I have also purchased an ORV tag in Washington State. For those areas that require OHV vehicles to contain certified spark arrestors, does my motorcycle need to contain one or does it’s D.O.T. certification provide that?

Thank you for your assistance.

Joe

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/joe/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
Matthew Von Bargen
Fire Project Lead

Forest Service
National Technology & Devlopment Center
p: 909-929-7056
mvonbargen@fs.fed.us

444 E. Bonita Ave
San Dimas, CA 91773
www.fs.fed.us
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/joe/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/joe/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image006.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/joe/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image008.gif[/IMG]
Caring for the land and serving people

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #42

Thanks for the great info and doing the leg work on this!

That's one thing I've been thinking this whole time. Wouldn't a cat in a stock pipe be the ultimate spark arrestor? It's a massive block with itty bitty passages. Just a thought.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #43

With some auto. converter Temps over 1000 degrees I think Murphys law kicks in and a few sparks of carbon may escape past it.

I think this letter pretty much closes the book on this on going issue. Along with passing the coat hanger test.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #44

That makes me feel a lot better about the 2002 XR250R muffler I'm using!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer