Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

SunL 125 Poor Takeoff

Hello all,

I recently traded for a SunL 125 atv. This is the first ATV I've owned but have helped neighbors with theirs. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and understand how the centrifugal clutch works in general.

My issue is the ATV will barely takeoff from a stand still on a very slight grade, from level ground it accelerates very slowly as well. I had just figured that the clutch was shot so I ordered a new one and replaced it tonight. The new one is only slightly better.

I've searched quite awhile and have adjusted the bold on the side of the cover, that only seems to adjust when the clutch engages (when the shift lever is released vs while it is still held down).

When shifting in reverse and attempting to backup the ATV grabs very well, like i would expect it to in both forward and reverse.

Does anyone have any ideas what else might be keeping it from accelerating as normally?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Not sure I am following correctly, but are you saying it feels like it is not accelerating properly due to slipping clutch or belt or does it just feel under powered when taking off? Different solutions for both problems but first need to figure out if you are getting full engagement or not at takeoff?