Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #1

z-star gear oil

well were 3 weeks into owning our z-star 110 that I picked up for my boys.

Poking around I was concerned about the lack of oil coming out of the gear box when I pulled the plug and nothing came out. So did some looking, and thinking wtf...

I changed the motor oil in the quad, that went well. Then I added 500ml of gear oil to the other side, since none really came out when I removed the drain plug on that side. Took it for a ride with my son and came back and noticed that the oil from the gear box was draining and left a big puddle in the drive way.... so my question is, do we fill the gear case with oil, how much? is the gasket blown on the gear case. or do I just let them keep riding it.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Trevor, I don't think there is any call for gear oil in the quad. The engine is what is described as a unit motor, which means the crankshaft and the transmission live in the same environment and use the same oil.

There should be one drain plug under the engine, and one fill point (which is the dipstick hole). I'm betting that all it needs is about a quart of 15W40 (use the dipstick to be sure). BTW, 15W40 diesel oil is exactly the right oil for your application, and it's cheap at Walmart.

Please show us a pic of your engine, so we can be sure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #3

ok. here goes. so the bolt that's dripping the oil was the plug for what I thought to be the gear oil??? it has a spring on the end of the plug also. I poured the oil in the top cap. The cap is on the left side of the bike, opposite side to the engine oil reservoir. so... what the heck did I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2028.jpg (84.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2030.jpg (86.9 KB, 47 views)

Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

The bolt with the spring is not a drain plug; it holds the rod that is the detent for shifting. As you shift from F to R, you feel a positive stop, and that's it. The plug you removed on the top of the stator cover is for identifying engine position, so you can set the valves.

All of the oil on the left side of the engine is connected to the oil on the right; it flows right through. The gear oil and motor oil you added to different places were totally mixed.

Use the bolt that is on the left side of your pic (which I would call the right side of the engine from the rider's persepctive) as the drain plug. Refill through the dipstick hole. Again, use 15W40.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

ok. But where did the oil go the put in the other hole??? do I need to remove that other plug to and drain both??

Old 10-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

No, you don't need to remove the other plug. Think of the inside of the transmission as one big compartment. The gear oil you added mixed with the engine oil. There was too much oil in the engine, so it was forced out of the breather tube. Hopefully a seal wasn't pushed out, but if it was, it's an easy fix.

Simply drain out all of the oil using the correct drain plug, and then refill through the dipstick hole to the max line on the stick.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

OMG, you must be banging your head... sounds goods...

I am sure I am going to have more awesome questions....

Old 10-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #8

Correct me if I'm wrong. But Isent the space under the left cover "dry" flywheel magneto cdi pickup ect ?
Either way I really see no harm done in the long run

Dave

Old 10-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #9

You're right, Dave. I was thinking of the vertical motor, so I was wrong. Yes, the gear oil just ended up on the stator, and it likely all leaked out.

Trevor, you could remove the left side cover and clean that area out. Wouldn't hurt.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorzstar View Post
OMG, you must be banging your head... sounds goods...

I am sure I am going to have more awesome questions....
No worries. Bring on the questions; that's why we exist.