Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #1

2017 RPS Hawk 250: An owners tale.

Officially 1 year since I ordered my bike, and well it deserves a review.
Warning, LOTS of reading ahead!

I am a bike nut, if you haven't figured that out by now

I have owned and restored bikes ranging from over 50 years old to a few years old. Total tear down restorations, to bolt on upgrade toys. Almost every single one of them is and was a road bike made by a major manufacturer.

Up to this point of my life, I was quite content and happy. Or so I thought...

One day a buddy of mine invites me out to try out his new toy on his land. He just picked up an SSR dirt bike. I have never ridden a dirt bike, or even been on dirt to this point, so it was quite the experience for me. I walked away with a new desire in my heart... I wanted to travel the less beaten paths.

Now, I have a requirement for any bike I own, it must be practical in my every day life, at least to some reasonable degree. This means it needs to run the roads with enough capability to get my butt to work, or pay a bill. So in my quest I stumble across dual sports. Perfect! I only had one other criteria at the time, and that was I didn't want to spend more than $2000 on the bike, and that includes any repairs or upgrades that may be necessary.

So for weeks I search, and search, and search. I find plenty of bikes of the typical fair, Honda CRFs, Suzukis, Kawis, etc. All of them beat to hell or run down in the price range I am looking. I don't want a repair and rebuild project, but the market here is ridiculous.

Then, one day I stumble across this ad on Craigslist for this bike called a Hawk from a local powersports dealer. Less than $1500 for a new bike?! Curiosity piqued!

I begin my quest for more information on the great Google machine. I find the famous Motocheez videos, and a few other vlogs from owners on Youtube. I find owners blog websites like Hawk250.com. I find this website. I read and learn the ups and downs, and decide that this is the perfect bike for me. A dirt noobie, but a certified mechanic and bike enthusiast. "Problems?," I say, "Bring them on!"

I am pumped. A bike that I can shape to my liking. A bike that is new, cheap, and cheap to fix. A bike that is nice enough to like owning, but not expensive enough that I will hate myself the second I crash it. I am ready to order!... There are none available... DAMNIT! Pre-order you say? OK!

I eagerly wait 2 months for my steed to arrive. Ordering parts for upgrades and changes based on the information I have soaked up. Chomping at the bit to unleash the raging torrent of 15ish hp... j/k

D-day arrives. I tear into that crate and begin my meticulous journey of OCD assembly and preventative maintenance that I am almost infamous for among my friends and family. I read others saying they assembled their Hawk in a few hours. "Not I!" 3 days. Every fastener scrutinized by my withering gaze. Loctite and grease flying about, slathered, smeared, stuffed, dripped, and brushed on every surface that needs it. Down to frame and engine and back. Done!

From there, the story is known well by many, and any, of those whom have read or followed my "Hawk is Here, Yay!" thread.

Now, here is the part that inspired me to write this.

When I first bought this bike, I bought it assuming that if it lasted me a year, great. My expectations were low, as were many others among my friends. I didn't enter into it with any seriousness. I saw it as the perfect bike to bash and thrash and stop caring about. That soon I would be parting it out or taking it to the scrap heap.

Instead, something weird happened, this bike kept impressing me. Not with it's huge power, or precise handling. Not with it's impeccable build quality, nor it's refinement. It impressed me with just how rugged it is. It impressed me with how it's bare simplicity gave it a charm that I have never experienced with any other bike. I found myself loving to ride it. I found myself obsessed with finding ways to make it even better. Not in a "to beat the big name bikes" kind of way, but just to improve it as it is.

Rugged? Did I just use that word? I never would have believed it either, but within the first 300 miles of its life my friend lowsided it and stuffed it under a truck. Slightly bent handlebar, broken left side cover, and bent rear brake pedal. $80 in parts, a re-alignment of the forks, and it was back on the road.
Many hundreds of miles later, I get high sided (I believe I can fly!) by a canyon of a pot hole in the road, destroying the front wheel, cracking the throttle housing and brake master cylinder, and breaking one mirror. No frame damage, no bent forks - very surprising, and just a few scratches on the headlight and front fender.

Practical? It has just enough power to do everything I need. After getting my carburetor dialed in with the modifications done, I have a bike capable of running the local highways without feeling like I am in danger, that can still average 60-65mpg.

Fun! No real explanation needed there. It just is fun. I can't describe how or why it is fun, but everybody that has taken a ride on my Hawk has come back with a grin on their face. Guys that ride 200hp Supersport bikes, cruisers, and even more serious dirt bikes. They all love it, and a couple are still considering getting one.

Almost 2000 miles later, and it's as healthy as it was when I first started it. Compression last read 164psi cold. It still starts first try. It still pulls my big butt with a pleasantly surprising grunt from such a small engine. It makes an exhaust note far meaner than it's displacement would imply.

In the last year, I went from a non-serious, low expectation buyer, to a believer that wants to keep this bike as long as he can.

Was it worth the $1300 I paid for it... Yes. Was it worth the extra money I put into it with the need to tinker, upgrade, and improve it? Yes. I still haven't spent my initial budget on it, not counting the repairs from the crashes.

Now I want to see just how far it can take me.

Day 1 to today.

Happy riding.

Last edited by Megadan; 04-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Nice write up Dan. Got to love the Hawk. I kind of had the same expectations. If it last a year or two I would be happy. 2800 miles and still going strong. Mine is about a year and a half old. I don't know what I enjoy more, the riding or the tinkering around with it. lol I had no intentions on even buying a bike. I was looking at a UTV for my daughter and a 4 wheeler for myself. Then I saw the Hawk. Back then they were about $1300. Then I saw they had a package deal for the UTV and Hawk. Hawk was $1099 It was kind of hard to pass up since the 4 wheelers I was looking at were $3400. It was a no brainer. $1099 and I could ride it on the street too. Didn't take much convincing to hit the buy button. I've been happy with that decision ever since. Glad to see you're enjoying it as much as I do. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 04-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #3

Little secret bits of fun is showing up the bike snobs out there. When your "junk" has more hours/miles on it than their older Japanese bike they just got done doing a top end rebuild on. Mild level of satisfaction from that. It might be slower, but I can keep riding it.

Last edited by Megadan; 04-11-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Little secret bits of fun is showing up the bike snobs out there. When your "junk" has more hours/miles on it than their older Japanese bike they just got done doing a top end rebuild on. Mild level of satisfaction from that. It might be slower, but I can keep riding it.
Indeed Dan. That's one of the things I've always preached to the "Chinese junk" people.
Fact is, these bikes are superior in almost every way to the Japanese stuff I rode as a kid.
I say almost because a 250 2 stroke would KILL a 250 4 stroke but you don't have to do your every-two-year bore, piston and rings.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

Kind of mirrors my thoughts when I bought my Lifan. I'd have gotten my moneys worth if it lasted a couple years and 10,000 miles. Never would have guessed that I'd still be riding it 11 years and 60,000 miles later. Had a lot of good times on the Lifan and much more to come.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Dan, you are a gifted writer!

You make some great points here. I think everybody loves it when an under-rated product actually outshines it's intended use. The "Luv" you put into your Hawk is contagious! I've learned a bunch about CG motors and have *almost* been bitten hard enough to buy one for the fun of it.

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Yeah, it is rather amazing how my opinion has changed on these bikes. No, they still ain't perfect, but most of the flaws and faults are really cheap and easy as long as you are willing to do the work and learn.

Thank you for the compliment on my writing. I actually love to write. I took writing and speech courses while earning my completely unrelated degree and certificates. It has always been a hobby of mine. One day I hope to churn out a book or two.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #8

Well I hope that my "1 year later" is as good as yours Dan. Right now I'm still not sure if I regret it or not. I love riding it. I love working on it. Like you, I love improving it.
But sometimes I wonder "should I have purchased a Bashan instead?"...
Either way, you can't take away the charm that it has. As me and the hawk continue to spend time together I'm sure my love for her will grow. I'm sure that a year from now I will be telling stories of trials and stories victories centered around my love and admiration for a little 250cc Chinese enduro. But time will tell.
Thanks for sharing your year.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesaw View Post
Well I hope that my "1 year later" is as good as yours Dan. Right now I'm still not sure if I regret it or not. I love riding it. I love working on it. Like you, I love improving it.
Either way, you can't take away the charm that it has. As me and the hawk continue to spend time together I'm sure my love for her will grow. I'm sure that a year from now I will be telling stories of trials and stories victories centered around my love and admiration for a little 250cc Chinese enduro. But time will tell.
Oh, trust me, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. There were moments of frustration, irritation, and even points I had to walk away. If anything, take away from my words that it is worth the effort to get your bike sorted out. Then come to accept that it isn't perfect.

The Bashan biles are starting to show some of their quirks too. None of these bikes are perfect

Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesaw View Post
In the 2 years I had my bashan I didn't put half the care and feeding that Dan has and my did fine. About 2 k miles per year. YOU WILL DO FINE , JUST PAY ATTENTION TO IT.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
PAY ATTENTION TO IT.
Most important point right there.

The funny thing is, I don't even think I coddle my bike all that much. I beat on it pretty hard and just maintain it to the same level I beat on it. Tit for Tat.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Yeah, it is rather amazing how my opinion has changed on these bikes. No, they still ain't perfect, but most of the flaws and faults are really cheap and easy as long as you are willing to do the work and learn.

Thank you for the compliment on my writing. I actually love to write. I took writing and speech courses while earning my completely unrelated degree and certificates. It has always been a hobby of mine. One day I hope to churn out a book or two.
These little bikes really are quite amazing on both durability and mpg, but then again, they were designed to operate in very poor countries so it only makes sense. China bikes are like that girl at high school everyone made fun of, but you knew personally that she had other great attributes and was a blast to ride.

Shanesaw, don't worry about regrets. All of these bikes, whether a Bashan, Hoasan (Hensim/Hawk), Lifan, or whoever all share parts and are of the same designs. It's not like the Japanese brands that are completely different from each other. Besides, a decade ago Hensim and Lifan were the top of the heap of the Hondoids. Enjoy that Hawk. It's about the best two-wheeled deal on the planet.

Dan, regarding your writing hobby, I share the same and literally stumbled into a column in a local rag about six months ago and I wasn't even looking so as they say, "stranger things have happened".

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Oh, trust me, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. There were moments of frustration, irritation, and even points I had to walk away. If anything, take away from my words that it is worth the effort to get your bike sorted out. Then come to accept that it isn't perfect.

The Bashan biles are starting to show some of their quirks too. None of these bikes are perfect
As FastDoc used to say, take the time to set up the bike properly, and enjoy it for what it is. Owning a China bike requires a sense of humour.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
These little bikes really are quite amazing on both durability and mpg, but then again, they were designed to operate in very poor countries so it only makes sense.

Dan, regarding your writing hobby, I share the same and literally stumbled into a column in a local rag about six months ago and I wasn't even looking so as they say, "stranger things have happened".
That rugged simplicity is why I like them so much. If you look at the list of vehicles I have kept the longest or loved the most, they all share that same trait. My Comanche is manual everything, and I love it that way. It's loud, hot, and makes you work for everything... Yet, it has never left me stranded.

I personally don't think I would like doing a daily or even monthly column. I love to tell stories or write descriptive or conversational articles. I have been working on an outline for a Fantasy genre book that has been in the works for about 3 years now. The first 2 years were almost entirely into character development, each with their own background stories that could probably pass as a small novel! Definitely a labor of love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Owning a China bike requires a sense of humour.
Or a sense of adventure. For the right people, they have a special something...or, as the French would say, they have a certain "je ne sais quoi."

J'aime le mien.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

I remember the first ride around the yard once I assembled my hawk. even if it turned to dust it would have been worth the $1,200. I hadn't ridden in 30 years, and the rush of emotions all came back. My hawk is an old friend. Like most best friends they are quirky, not world class performers, but are impeccably dependable.