Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

New Hawk 250 owner...help please!

Got my new Hawk 250 delivered last week. I was anxious to get it assembled and running. Assembly was pretty straightforward and I had no major issues. I changed the oil afterwards with a good 10w40 and went to start it up. Fuel was pouring from the stock carb overflow so I went ahead and put the Mikuni on that I had on hand. Started up fine afterwards and everything sounded good.

After I got it running I was doing a thorough check and found a number of things not working. Horn doesn't work, brake lights don't work when applied, no fuel gauge. My main concerns are the horn and the brakes. Without those I can't get it inspected or licensed for the road. I've checked all the electrical connections and they all appear to be good. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

check all connections are together tight. mine had similar problems. for the brakes, the switch at the handlebars and footpeg which need to be adjusted for proper contact.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

Yeah I just got mine and I had the same issues. Check the connection at the front brake, my spade connector was not properly plugged in and you have to adjust the back one properly. My horn connection was broken at the horn so I just had to put a new connector on. If all else fails, get your volt meter out and start testing for breaks. No worries, you'll get it!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

And check those wires around steering area. Mine got nicked and pinched in the steering stops. I bundled them and wrapped them all with electric tape.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I will thoroughly check all connections and possible pinch points tomorrow. Was hoping to do the valve adjustment tomorrow but I think I'll track down these electrical problems instead.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

you can pill down on the rear brake plunger spring and see if the break light comes on if it does it just needs adjusting

Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

Thanks Tim but I already tried that. Still no break lights.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #8

I got all the bugs worked out. Turned out the horn was DOA. I took it off and tried it on my other bike and still didn't work. Easy fix swapped out for a newer and louder horn. The break light was an even easier fix. It just needed adjusting. It was udjustes to the point that the break light was always on.

Overall it was a good weekend. Next weekend valve adjustment, sprockets and chain swap and second oil change.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattex View Post
I got all the bugs worked out. Turned out the horn was DOA. I took it off and tried it on my other bike and still didn't work. Easy fix swapped out for a newer and louder horn. The break light was an even easier fix. It just needed adjusting. It was udjustes to the point that the break light was always on.

Overall it was a good weekend. Next weekend valve adjustment, sprockets and chain swap and second oil change.
glad to hear! now go ride, ride, ride!