Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2015, 01:03 AM   #4441

With the days getting shorter (or the nights getting longer), I decided to add some reflective decals to the wheels and forks. The wheel decals were the ones most important to me.

I ordered a set of reflective wheel stripes in black so during the daytime, the RX-3 looks the same. But at night with headlights shining on the bike from the side (or a camera flash), the bike now stands out a more and motorists should identify the shape in front of them as a motorcycle..

I did the same with my former bike (Yamaha Tmax), and that worked out pretty well. That bike wasn't very visible from the side (dark blue paint and black plastic), and these wheel stripes helped quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 9.46.44 PM.jpg (19.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 9.35.00 PM.jpg (17.6 KB, 198 views)

Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 AM   #4442

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
The review you asked for a while back is finally online.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...clist-magazine
Thanks for sharing. This is the second review I've read that mentions the ignition and luggage use the same key, but mine doesn't. Not complaining, just observation.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #4443

My RX3 uses the ignition key to unlatch the pillion saddle. I have a second key which locks/unlocks he luggage.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2015, 02:31 AM   #4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
My RX3 uses the ignition key to unlatch the pillion saddle. I have a second key which locks/unlocks he luggage.
Same here. I wish they were all keyed the same, but it's not that big a deal.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 AM   #4445

Mine uses the same key for the ignition/seat/luggage, maybe they made a change?

Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #4446

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Same here. I wish they were all keyed the same, but it's not that big a deal.
I agree; it's not a big deal. However, if Zongshen made a change with the newer bikes, that's a nice little improvement.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #4447

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
With the days getting shorter (or the nights getting longer), I decided to add some reflective decals to the wheels and forks. The wheel decals were the ones most important to me.

I ordered a set of reflective wheel stripes in black so during the daytime, the RX-3 looks the same. But at night with headlights shining on the bike from the side (or a camera flash), the bike now stands out a more and motorists should identify the shape in front of them as a motorcycle..

I did the same with my former bike (Yamaha Tmax), and that worked out pretty well. That bike wasn't very visible from the side (dark blue paint and black plastic), and these wheel stripes helped quite a bit.
The reflective tape looks good, and really increases the bike's conspicuity.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #4448

Key coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Mine uses the same key for the ignition/seat/luggage, maybe they made a change?
Possibly just luck of the draw, i.e. The lock supplier providing the parts in only a certain number of patterns for each, so the key may or may not work every thing.

With my non-keyed-alike RX3, I received two rings with two keys each. 4 total, which I split in to two "sets" for the bike.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #4449

Quote:

Looks great. I thought about those myself, but hadn't seen the black.
What width did you get, and what source?

Old 10-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #4450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Looks great. I thought about those myself, but hadn't seen the black.
What width did you get, and what source?
Thanks Jay.

I bought from eBay at this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321846943524

Default is 9mm, and that seems to work well with the RX-3. One thing I did notice on my bike though… I had to clean the wheels REALLY well before putting these reflective decals on. I resorted to a lot of rubbing alcohol and get a lot of what I'm assuming to be protective grease off the rims. I think Zongshen may do this to help ward-off any corrosion while the bike is in transit, and it doubles as tire shine (which I cleaned off also to reveal a nice, bright red "CST" logo on the front and rear tires.) I guess my next job is to give my bike its first bath!

Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #4451
Banned

Oh No Freeway Patrol....Not So Much!

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder which agency will be the first to put the RX3-P into service.
I can just see the California Highway Patrol chasing traffic violators on the many freeways in California. Think the RX3-P can catch a Corvette speeding down the 405?
Maybe better catching one of the MB Smart cars? Or patrolling the Bike Lanes?

Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #4452

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I can just see the California Highway Patrol chasing traffic violators on the many freeways in California. Think the RX3-P can catch a Corvette speeding down the 405?
Typically Law Enforcement will load up the bike with a fair amount of equipment including radios, armament, etc. I would guess that they would easily add another 60 pounds in equipment plus their own riding gear/body armor.

I suppose I should have better said, which city agency will be the first to use the RX-3. For most city environments, I can see the RX-3 doing the job of the bigger bikes with the exception of any kind of pursuits.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
With my non-keyed-alike RX3, I received two rings with two keys each. 4 total, which I split in to two "sets" for the bike.
Ditto here, Jay.

I had given thought to seeing if it was possible to re-key the luggage locks, but just never got around to it. I labeled the key for the hard cases so I don't confuse them, so I haven't had any reason to look into rekeying the cases.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #4454

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
Maybe they will be well suited to forestry service roads, with the street-legal ability to ride into town for fuel, or to park at the police station.

Since CSC is the national importer, perhaps there are several States that would be interested in a small dual sport for off-road patrols, not pursuits.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #4455

Yeah, the RX3 is no pursuit vehicle, but I could easily see it used for accident investigation or to get through traffic gridlock. It would also work for rural police and sheriffs or park rangers and the forest service.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol