Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Zongshen Sierra Stator/CDI/not running

Hello! Haven't been here for a while due to motorcycle being non functional. Finally, I was able to get the bike over to my friend's house (mechanic) for a good look over & have valves adjusted. Main issue I'm having is that the motorcycle won't start at all. I had it running twice recently for a fraction of a second, but then it would instantly die.

After 6 grueling hours going through whole system with a fine toothed comb, he has seem to have located the following issues:

1. Took the cover off where the stator is, a small amount of oil came out. Is this normal? I have read conflicting information ranging from oil being a major issue to stator should be in an oil bath. Friend seems to think that the small amount we found was not alarming but should raise slight concern. I have ordered a new part (stator) off tabaotrends, worst case I'll have a spare for the future.

2. When testing wires coming from CDI, he seemingly found a fried wire. I forget exactly which one (I want to say the black and white one) which was not sending power to stator and therefore not starting bike. He plans on replacing the wire completely, and I have also purchased 2 spare CDI units. I have 3 already, however they were all testing VERY low power, so I'm assuming they are all dead. (CDI wiring chart was EXTREMELY HELPFUL in diagnosing this issue, so a huge THANKS for that.)

Next things we plan on doing is replacing bad wire, testing with new CDI, possibly replacing stator, using ignition tester to check ignition system, etc etc etc. Originally I believed that the issue was primarily top end based (needing to be rebuilt), but after our findings yesterday & the fact engine sounds very strong, we are going to hold off on that for now. Other things I ordered from Tabao are extra air filters, clutch cable, & complete gasket set, in addition to the stator and 2 CDIs. I do plan on ordering some other parts, however I wanted to hold off until I can actually get motorcycle to run again.

All in all, hopefully this is at least a start, if not solves issues completely. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues? I read a lot of the other posts and it seems like people have either one issue or the other, but not both at the same time. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome & thanks for your time!!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquitmyscene View Post
Hello! Haven't been here for a while due to motorcycle being non functional. Finally, I was able to get the bike over to my friend's house (mechanic) for a good look over & have valves adjusted. Main issue I'm having is that the motorcycle won't start at all. I had it running twice recently for a fraction of a second, but then it would instantly die.

After 6 grueling hours going through whole system with a fine toothed comb, he has seem to have located the following issues:

1. Took the cover off where the stator is, a small amount of oil came out. Is this normal? I have read conflicting information ranging from oil being a major issue to stator should be in an oil bath. Friend seems to think that the small amount we found was not alarming but should raise slight concern. I have ordered a new part (stator) off tabaotrends, worst case I'll have a spare for the future...
Yes, the stator should be bathed in motor oil. This is common for most 4-stroke engines which have a stator large enough to power a decent headlight, turn signals, et cetera. The Zongshen 200GY-2 has a Yamaha engine, and all of the Yamaha bikes which employ this same engine block have the stator bathed in engine oil.

Quote:
2. When testing wires coming from CDI, he seemingly found a fried wire. I forget exactly which one (I want to say the black and white one) which was not sending power to stator and therefore not starting bike. He plans on replacing the wire completely, and I have also purchased 2 spare CDI units. I have 3 already, however they were all testing VERY low power, so I'm assuming they are all dead. (CDI wiring chart was EXTREMELY HELPFUL in diagnosing this issue, so a huge THANKS for that.)...
The CDI unit only receives signals from the stator and pickup coil; it doesn't send any signals to those parts. You really can't test the CDI for electrical output. You need to test the resistance values for all the other electrical parts in the ignition system, as detailed in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...756#post152756

If the resistance values for all the other parts test okay, that is when you consider replacing the CDI unit. The only way to test the CDI unit is to replace it with a known, good CDI unit. I doubt you have three, bad, new CDI units.

Of course, if any wires are bad, they need to be replaced.

Quote:
Next things we plan on doing is replacing bad wire, testing with new CDI, possibly replacing stator, using ignition tester to check ignition system, etc etc etc. Originally I believed that the issue was primarily top end based (needing to be rebuilt), but after our findings yesterday & the fact engine sounds very strong, we are going to hold off on that for now. Other things I ordered from Tabao are extra air filters, clutch cable, & complete gasket set, in addition to the stator and 2 CDIs. I do plan on ordering some other parts, however I wanted to hold off until I can actually get motorcycle to run again.

All in all, hopefully this is at least a start, if not solves issues completely. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues? I read a lot of the other posts and it seems like people have either one issue or the other, but not both at the same time. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome & thanks for your time!!
The stators can, and will fail after a while. We recently replaced the Japanese stator and pickup coil in my friend's Yamaha TT-R225 with Zongshen parts. You need to methodically, and systematicly test the resistance values of all the electrical parts, except the CDI unit. Replace any parts with bad resistance values. If the bike still won't start, then substitute a different CDI unit.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

What he said.

The oil cools the stator, and it belongs in there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Thank you for all of the great advice. I will pass onto my friend. Another question I have, how long did it take for your full order from ordering via URLs to actual delivery date did it take for your purchases from Taobao? I ordered everything Nov 2nd & I was just curious. I live in PA.

About the CDI units, two are from the person I purchased the motorcycle from originally (no idea how old they are) and one is a unit I purchased around 2yrs ago.

Spud: That thread link is extremely helpful. Sunday I was looking for a thread like that and only had my cell phone, so didn't come across that one. I did find other threads on this forum that were helpful for the time being, but that one is the best

Old 11-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

You're welcome.

Usually, the larger the order from Taobao, the longer it takes for delivery. If you order a lot of items from different vendors, it takes longer for all of them to be delivered to the Taobao agent. Also, you might need to wait longer for one or two items which aren't immediately available for shipment, et cetera. If you place a small order, you will probably need to wait at least two weeks for delivery to your door.

I always try to purchase everything I need every time I order, since I want to minimize my shipping costs. Therefore, my orders are large, and I expect to wait at least 4-6 weeks before the shipment arrives. However, since I try to order items before I need them, the delayed shipping isn't a problem.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894