Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #16

Ron's nearly new GY-2 is still available. $500, but in Washington State.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Your DB-07A forks are the same as the forks on my Zong. I posted information concerning the fork oil seal and dust wiper replacement parts in the following thread. However, I wonder which Japanese bushings would fit in these forks?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10266
as i have seen, but not in person yet (darn hospital stays...LOL) the uppers appear the same, but the db07a lowers are different.. the zong forks axle clamp thingie comes up the tubes further than this style, giving the look of longer travel on the db, and more sportbike looking suspension on the zong... just an observation form a guy...LOL

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Your DB-07A forks are the same as the forks on my Zong. I posted information concerning the fork oil seal and dust wiper replacement parts in the following thread. However, I wonder which Japanese bushings would fit in these forks?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10266
My forks are the same as yours, right down to the numbers, but they lack the fork cover mounting screw holes. I can't figure out how I'm going to protect the forks.

BTW, Son of Weldangrind and I followed your procedure. Thanks for the terrific write-up. We even crossed the US border to buy some Valvoline Max Life Dex / Merc.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #19

I bought some new Nachi 6301 sealed bearings for the front wheel today for $11.77, incl. taxes. I could do better online, but the guys at Precise Bearing in Abbotsford give great service, and they put up with my endless small purchases with a smile.

One of the guys there said that the bearing I selected would be better for a dirt bike / dual sport because it's sealed, and it's rated at 12000rpm. The metal shielded bearings that were originally in the hub are rated at 20000rpm, but they'll quickly become contaminated with water, dirt and sand.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #20

I can't think of a better home for Cam's bike!
Sadly, my Konker had about the same km's on it when I sold it :(. Street bikes seem to be the only ones I manage to get any miles on...

Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
My forks are the same as yours, right down to the numbers, but they lack the fork cover mounting screw holes. I can't figure out how I'm going to protect the forks.

BTW, Son of Weldangrind and I followed your procedure. Thanks for the terrific write-up. We even crossed the US border to buy some Valvoline Max Life Dex / Merc.
You're welcome. Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I was able to help promote the economy for the state of Washington.

I mounted lower fork guards on my Zong with stainless steel, hose clamps. They work great, and don't look bad at all.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #22

Thanks, Stew.

I'm hoping that I can create a fun and reliable bike for Son of Weldangrind. That's the purpose.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Ron's nearly new GY-2 is still available. $500, but in Washington State.
If only is was closer. Seems that Washington state has all the deals.

Weld, I am waiting on the cafe build.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Weld, I am waiting on the cafe build.
The kick-off will be in late August.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #25

Quote:
You're welcome. Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I was able to help promote the economy for the state of Washington.

I mounted lower fork guards on my Zong with stainless steel, hose clamps. They work great, and don't look bad at all.
Spud, I just found this post; you posted it one minute before I posted, and I missed it.

Thanks for the tip on the hose clamps. I never thought of that.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #26

Made a little more progress today. I removed the triples from the Lifan frame to install the steering lock tab (that I chopped off of the Roketa café) and to properly pack the bearings. They were notchy.

I was pleasantly surprised to find tapered rollers in the stem, rather than loose ball bearings. Here, I thought I was being so smart by placing an ice cream bucket under the lower triple to catch the loose bearings.

The lower triple has a mount for a steering lock, but there was no lock on it. Rather than mess with that, I removed it and proceeded with the Roketa ignition and lock tab.

This is just after I welded the tab on.

I mocked up the triples to see if it worked properly. You can sort of see how the ignition stud won't pass the tab in the locked position, and then by how much it clears the tab when retracted.

Something I failed to share yesterday was that the Lifan gas cap would not open with the ignition key. The cap is designed to not lock onto the tank without the key, so the PO must have just dealt with it. Not sure where the original key for the cap is, but it's definitely not the original ignition key.

Since I swapped the Roketa igntion switch and gas cap over to the Lifan, it doesn't matter on this bike. However, it still left me with a cap that will not properly latch onto the Roketa tank. Instead of ordering more parts, I dismantled the lock cylinder from the mystery cap and re-keyed it to the original Lifan ignition key. That allows me to install the Lifan ignition switch and gas cap on the XR200 dirt bike project. The young man who will be receiving this bike really wanted the Roketa seat that I just recovered and the plastic Roketa tank. He'll also benefit from an ignition switch for security. Problem solved.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #27

I decided to change the title of this thread, and I'll be updating it over the next few weeks. This bike is one of two top motorcycle priorities right now.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #28

Such a good thread. Keep it up, Weld! Your son's a lucky guy.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #29

Thanks! He just got a part-time job at a local used tire shop, so he hasn't been working on the bike much. I'm hoping that it will be done soon, and he'll be able to commute to work in the summer on the Lifan, instead of his Ranger.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #30

Nice! I worked at the Tire Rack warehouse in Windsor CT last winter so I'm no stranger to mount and balance fun. I used to mount between 900 & 1600 tires a day 5 days a week there.

Rangers are nice little trucks, but the Lifan is definitely better for fuel economy.