Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #16

[离 depart 合 join 器 device] Clutch | [空 blank 档 gear] Neutral

Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #17

Ah ok good, thanks! Symbols added to list.

It's raining so I thought I would clean up the wiring diagram until it stops.

Be back in a bit with a finalized diagram...err maybe finalized!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
And you have uncovered another fact I did not exactly know, that Green is ground, not a current carrier. And if I have finally connected the dots, the Red/Yellow wire is the current carrier that makes the circuit for the starter relay. The green is the ground contact for that, that completes the circuit when the button is pushed and allows current over the red/yellow wire to the relay. Do I have it closer now?
Exactly right. On that topic, the pic you showed us is flawed, in that it depicts the fuse on the negative side of the battery, and shows the green wire to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. There may be other errors, but those two jumped out at me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

Doh!

Hurray I'm starting to get it! And Doh! I may have transposed something. Let me go check that out on the bike. Darnit! Be right back.

Thanks!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Exactly right. On that topic, the pic you showed us is flawed, in that it depicts the fuse on the negative side of the battery, and shows the green wire to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. There may be other errors, but those two jumped out at me.
I went out and checked the bike. The + from the starter is a thick gauge Red wire maybe 6 or 8 awg and it runs out to the battery box-1st pic (when it arrived here that is 3rd pic) and the previously identified Negative for the battery is split off of the main Red line from the Ignition switch -2nd pic, taped into the black fuse holder harness and was dangling out of the battery box as a black wire.

I'll study the diagram Humanbeing sent me on this part now that I have progressed out to the battery to see what should be wired to what. I have the original CG125 too I'll be scanning. Woohoo another mystery lurking right under my nose this whole time. Life is sweet.

I'll be back!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red wire from start relay to battery.jpg (37.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Red wire split into fuse.jpg (38.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg original battery box and batt wires.jpg (46.5 KB, 149 views)

Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #21

WTF Another missing piece? Really?

And on the CG125 wiring diagram I have it shows 2 wires coming from the starter motor going to the negative battery terminal and the starter relay. I looked on the bike and the only wire going to or from is the black from the starter relay Negative terminal.

So does this mean I'm completely missing the negative battery cable? LOL. If so where does the negative battery terminal connect to on the starter? On the same nut as the starter relay cable?

This poor bike. No wonder there are so many fried plugs and wires, it was wired all higgly piggly after what I'm calling "the incident". Then it had another incident where I perceive it almost caught on fire. Then it arrived here and has really taken a turn for the worst!

Jim

Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #22

Black wire in Honda & clone = +12v | " - " via bolts to metal frame is the norm !!!
http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...originator=yes

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #23

Thanks HB that's good to know too, its helping me understand the flow of current and where to and not to expect it in the system.

For example, knowing the black is 12v makes me think red is also current carrying.

Here is an odd question that only someone who has no clue would ask. I think I understand the wire colors are part of identifying their place in the harnesses (like house wiring hot-black,N-wh,ground-gr or bare and everything else is just runs of colored wires that you yourself assign meaning to), do the striped vs non-striped have any specific meaning? For example are striped only involved in specifically the ignition or something? Or is it just to have more color choices when making harnesses? In the PC support world I came from each color wire had it's own specific voltage and sometimes that's how you could tell where the issue was.

And wow that was an awesome writeup on the starter. I need to take more pictures while I'm doing stuff!

Thanks!
Jim

Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #24

I'm in a bit of a hurry to review all of that, so I'll offer a few thoughts.

The large gauge red wire goes from the battery to the solenoid.
The large gauge black wire goes from the solenoid to the starter.
The black negative wire from the battery goes to the frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm in a bit of a hurry to review all of that, so I'll offer a few thoughts.

The large gauge red wire goes from the battery to the solenoid.
The large gauge black wire goes from the solenoid to the starter.
The black negative wire from the battery goes to the frame.
Good on the first two, a miracle I know. The third one. I looked at the ATV wiring around the battery which is still petty sound. I'm just needing a small gauge then. I'll match what's everywhere else if that will do, I have a couple of rolls of different colored stranded wires.

And I'll update the wiring diagram and see how I can get all the reds together correctly as well following the CG125 diagram.

I wonder if there are any other mysteries. Whelp the only thing to do is keep going.

I'll be back, thanks again!
Jim

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #26

I have time for a deep breath now, so I'll complete my thought.

When it comes to ground wires, bigger is better and more is better. I recommend that you match the large gauge solenoid wire size to go from the battery to the frame. In a circuit, voltage flows from the positive terminal, through whatever switches and controls, through the load (ie the starter) and then back to the negative terminal (IIRC). The point is, if you have a large gauge wire from the battery to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the starter but only a small wire back to the battery negative terminal, you'll introduce resistance and heat.

Also, take care to have at least one ground wire from the frame to a bolt on the engine. Again, more is better.