Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #496

Just as a matter of intrest... power wise..
The Honda CRF150f... with a 175 bore kit,
cam , HD valve springs gives another 3.5hp..

the standard Honda sleeve is just bored for
the 175cc piston... So if these chinese motor
use the same thickness sleeve as Honda being a copy
it may well be just a bore job..
after all the crf150 is a 26cc increass & the Chinese bike
is less at 21cc..

http://www.mx-performance.com/id40.html

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Just as a matter of intrest... power wise..
The Honda CRF150f... with a 175 bore kit,
cam , HD valve springs gives another 3.5hp..

the standard Honda sleeve is just bored for
the 175cc piston... So if these chinese motor
use the same thickness sleeve as Honda being a copy
it may well be just a bore job..
after all the crf150 is a 26cc increass & the Chinese bike
is less at 21cc..

http://www.mx-performance.com/id40.html

Yes, that's right. The 250cc bore is only 3mm bigger. 1/8th of an inch....ARH

Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #498

Hawk Issues

So first off sorry to hijack the thread, but i was needing some help with a hawk i recently picked up. It needed a little tlc but i got it running and driving, i know there are a lot of little mods that are recommended for this bike and i plan to do almost all of them in time.

But the main issue I'm having right now is that I've never had a carbureted bike before and think I'm mixing up a few terms. So the main issue i have is that when its running (since i don't really understand where the choke is on this particular bike) I've been adjusting the idle screw to keep it running when i first start it then turn it back down once its warm, which i understand is supposed to be the function of the choke. so i guess I'm wondering where exactly it is on this bike ( if someone has a link to a manual that would be great) and what positions are what on it and used for what.

Second issue i have which is actually a bigger issue is that when its in neutral and i rev it it seems to rev fine and not have any issues, but once I'm on the bike riding and i get like halfway up the rev range in gear the bike doesn't want to push it just seems to bog down and almost want to die. Now if i shift and stay real low in the rev range its fine and i can ride it but once i try to accelerate while in gear it bogs. Ive read and tried to do as much research on this issue as i can, and maybe I'm just not describing it the best so nothing comes up when i search. Has anyone had this issue or knows whats going on. I hope this isn't a super simple thing because then I'm just gana look stupid, but at the same time i hope it is.

Also i didn't really see a recommended place to buy parts from, where does everyone recommend? Thanks

Last edited by mypd1991; 03-16-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: formatting

Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #499

Get down and look at the carb from the left side of the bike. There is a black lever on it. All the way up is full choke. Middle is half choke. All the way down, choke is off. I'll let the carb guru's tell you about jetting the carb. I get parts from Ebay and Amazon mostly. RPS has factory replacement parts. http://therps.net/DB-Hawk.html

Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooter View Post
Get down and look at the carb from the left side of the bike. There is a black lever on it. All the way up is full choke. Middle is half choke. All the way down, choke is off. I'll let the carb guru's tell you about jetting the carb. I get parts from Ebay and Amazon mostly. RPS has factory replacement parts. http://therps.net/DB-Hawk.html
Awesome, ive seen that lever, just never knew what it was. so what is the small lever under the fuel tank on the left side of the bike?

Also to add to my previous issues, the airbox on the bike seems to have warped somehow and doesn't actually connect to the carb its lined up but there's maybe half a millimeter between it and the card intake. Could that be why its bogging, too much air?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #501

The little lever under the tank is the fuel shut off ,I don't have a hawk so don't know it's positions ,but that lever could be in the wrong position and causing all of your troubles .Fix the air box to carb issue before riding it ,but no problems with too much air .

Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
The little lever under the tank is the fuel shut off ,I don't have a hawk so don't know it's positions ,but that lever could be in the wrong position and causing all of your troubles .Fix the air box to carb issue before riding it ,but no problems with too much air .
Gas lever all the way down is on, halfway is off and all the way up is reserve.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Gas lever all the way down is on, halfway is off and all the way up is reserve.
Thanks

Old 03-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypd1991 View Post
So first off sorry to hijack the thread, but i was needing some help with a hawk i recently picked up. It needed a little tlc but i got it running and driving, i know there are a lot of little mods that are recommended for this bike and i plan to do almost all of them in time.

But the main issue I'm having right now is that I've never had a carbureted bike before and think I'm mixing up a few terms. So the main issue i have is that when its running (since i don't really understand where the choke is on this particular bike) I've been adjusting the idle screw to keep it running when i first start it then turn it back down once its warm, which i understand is supposed to be the function of the choke. so i guess I'm wondering where exactly it is on this bike ( if someone has a link to a manual that would be great) and what positions are what on it and used for what.

Second issue i have which is actually a bigger issue is that when its in neutral and i rev it it seems to rev fine and not have any issues, but once I'm on the bike riding and i get like halfway up the rev range in gear the bike doesn't want to push it just seems to bog down and almost want to die. Now if i shift and stay real low in the rev range its fine and i can ride it but once i try to accelerate while in gear it bogs. Ive read and tried to do as much research on this issue as i can, and maybe I'm just not describing it the best so nothing comes up when i search. Has anyone had this issue or knows whats going on. I hope this isn't a super simple thing because then I'm just gana look stupid, but at the same time i hope it is.

Also i didn't really see a recommended place to buy parts from, where does everyone recommend? Thanks
Sounds like the main jet is too lean (the hole isn't big enough). Luckily for you, a Mikuni main jet will screw in even though the thread pitch is different. If it has the original exhaust system a 110 or 115 main jet should do the trick...ARH

Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Sounds like the main jet is too lean (the hole isn't big enough). Luckily for you, a Mikuni main jet will screw in even though the thread pitch is different. If it has the original exhaust system a 110 or 115 main jet should do the trick...ARH
Yep stock exhaust, awesome. Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Will be trying to get it running good by this Sunday, there's a big ride coming up in Dallas this weekend and I'm trying to ride on "supermoto Sunday" with the big boys. I'll let you guys know if I get her running right and if any other issues arise.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #506

The Mikuni

It looks like it's time for another Mikuni tutorial. The Mikuni could be described as a very simple variable venturi carburetor. It has a simple cold start device (on the cheaper ones a butterfly choke, on the more expensive ones a cold start circuit.) It does not have a fast idle cam in the throttle control. So you start it cold with the throttle open about an eighth of a turn, and keep the throttle opened that much until the engine warms enough to keep running when you let go of the throttle. Now to tune it for your individual bike. I start by setting my idle mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out from the seated position. I have the needle in the middle position of the available slots in the needle. Then, after the engine is well warmed up I do a plug chop to check the fuel mixture at wide open throttle. About a half mile down the road at wide open throttle, I leave the throttle wide open as I cut off the ignition and whip out the clutch at the same instant. I cut off the ignition with the red button on the right handlebar. Let the bike coast to a stop and put the trans mission in neutral. Let go of the throttle, and pull out the spark plug to check the mixture. If the plug firing area looks all white, or very clear - the main jet is too small. If the plug has black in the firing area, the main jet is too rich. If the plug is tan, mixture is about right. Now check the idle. If you have to richen the idle screw to get a good idle, you need a bigger pilot jet. When you have the right pilot jet in there, the engine will immediatly respond smoothly from a slow idle on up to a quarter throttle, not just sitting, but under load. For off road use the range between slow idle to 1/4 throttle must be smooth or off road riding will be difficult and tiring. You should lead the engine with the twist-grip. In other words, open the throttle an 1/8th of a turn as you feed in the clutch, then smoothly open up through 1/4 turn on you way up. If there is a little hesitation at a quarter turn throttle, raise the needle one notch. You should now have very smooth power flow right from a slow idle all the way up to wide open. A word of warning; any thing you do to the air intake or exhaust after you set up the carburetor means you have to do it all over again....ARH

Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #507

Why a Mikuni?

The main advantages of a Mikuni carburetor are (1) easier to find jets. (2) easy to adjust mid-range mixture due to 5 slot needle. (3) Different throttle slide cut aways available. On the jet issue, luckily the Mikuni main jet will screw in to the jet block of the stock carburetor even though the thread pitch is different. Unfortunatly this is not true of the pilot jet. Since the pilot jet 100% controls the fuel mixture from idle to 1/4 throttle, it is important on a dual-sport or enduro to have total control of this part of the power band. Throttle cut away acts like an accelerator pump. The less the cut away, the bigger shot of fuel to get everything going from an idle up to 1/8th throttle. When I crack the throttle, I want a healthy "thump" right from the get go. Makes lifting the front wheel over a log, or whatever, much easier. Now there are places out west where you spend almost no time below 1/4 throttle. But in the rest of the country, life is much better when the carb is set up right...ARH

Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #508

Drum Charger

Ok, this is something for the more technical crowd. I saw this article a few months ago about Drum Chargers.
Here's the link:

http://newatlas.com/drum-charger-che...e-turbo/46648/

Hope this link works. Any chance this could help our little Hawks out?
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Ok, this is something for the more technical crowd. I saw this article a few months ago about Drum Chargers.
Here's the link:

http://newatlas.com/drum-charger-che...e-turbo/46648/

Hope this link works. Any chance this could help our little Hawks out?
This would be an interesting idea to try. In theory, it should work. The devil is going to be working out the details (at the carb end)...ARH

Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #510

And of course the latest thing , but skinny on the cost details
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~