Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
My father used to fly for his company all over the world. They DID allow him to keep his miles, and it was cool for him--he flew business class and would get upgrades because he had nearly two million miles back then. The catch-22 was the upgrades to first would allow him to get triple miles, so one round-trip to Australia was almost a round trip for one of us (kids) to go to Europe and whatnot. After he retired, he used his miles for a few years, but then the airlines started sucking them up and he flew as much as he could and now, alas--he has none. It was fun while it lasted.
I just had a $236 rewards check issued from my bank of am cc because i dont trust them for 5 min before they change the terms. I cash out pretty often around the $200 mark.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
So this is probably why (corruption from top) the decision was to shut the whole section of the company down, right? Or was it not profitable (but of course with a crook, how could any body know).

It always comes clear in the end doesn't it.
Not really. We needed to be building equipment in the US and needed a facility large enough and with overhead cranes to do it. Also needed to have the ability to expand the facility for larger equipment, which we can't do here and can do there.

The dope we're finding on this guy is just something we all sort of suspected, but couldn't prove. The fact that his bosses were on the other side of the pond meant he could get away things pretty easily, until his newest boss took an interest. He had no respect for women and she(there's the kicker)started digging after getting the nod from the Chairman and being told by the jackass "not to worry your pretty little head". When she was made the CEO, she went in for the kill.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Not really. We needed to be building equipment in the US and needed a facility large enough and with overhead cranes to do it. Also needed to have the ability to expand the facility for larger equipment, which we can't do here and can do there.

The dope we're finding on this guy is just something we all sort of suspected, but couldn't prove. The fact that his bosses were on the other side of the pond meant he could get away things pretty easily, until his newest boss took an interest. He had no respect for women and she(there's the kicker)started digging after getting the nod from the Chairman and being told by the jackass "not to worry your pretty little head". When she was made the CEO, she went in for the kill.
Ahhh ha, convenient tipping point sort of deal.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #64

Big shots at the place today. Vice Chairman, CFO, a Veep, all from France, and the new Plant Superintendent for SC. The CFO, Veep, and the new Plant Super I wouldn't know if I met them on the street. The Vice Chairman and I go back twenty years.

It was kind of nice to have Dan, the Vice Chair, tap me on the shoulder and say "Hi, howzitgoin"., without the GM hovering in the background. We had a nice BS session about everything but work. When work finally did come up, he asked that I consider staying on past 65 because of my experience. Said I'd let him know in four years.

Had a little one on one with the new super after that. Seems like a nice enough guy, but then I won't be working for him. Might take him for Mexican tomorrow. I do see fireworks between him and my boss, though.

The CFO and the Veep(the former CFO) are going through the books with a fine toothed comb, so I'm steering clear of the both of them.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Last edited by cheesy; 05-16-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: France does NOT have an 'M' in it.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Big shots at the place today. Vice Chairman, CFO, a Veep, all from France, and the new Plant Superintendent for SC. The CFO, Veep, and the new Plant Super I wouldn't know if I met them on the street. The Vice Chairman and I go back twenty years.

It was kind of nice to have Dan, the Vice Chair, tap me on the shoulder and say "Hi, howzitgoin"., without the GM hovering in the background. We had a nice BS session about everything but work. When work finally did come up, he asked that I consider staying on past 65 because of my experience. Said I'd let him know in four years.

Had a little one on one with the new super after that. Seems like a nice enough guy, but then I won't be working for him. Might take him for Mexican tomorrow. I do see fireworks between him and my boss, though.

The CFO and the Veep(the former CFO) are going through the books with a fine toothed comb, so I'm steering clear of the both of them.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #66

Quote:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #67

Bit of an update. Things have finally started happening on my end with the move. We needed to have our personal property out, save for our tools, yesterday. I got out what I wanted but told management that my coffee maker stays until we shut off the lights. I put my fridge and microwave up on the bulletin board as free because I have nowhere to put them. Which is why they were at the shop. Brought home the power supply, too.

Been going round and round with my boss as to what gets moved to SC and what gets scrapped. Much of the equipment in the shop is old, tired and not worth the price of crating and shipping. He has been given a budget for all new equipment, but his 'Norwegian Farmer' keeps sneaking out about how much the new stuff is going to cost. He likes new and shiny but not if he has to pay for it.

Want to choke all my guys at various times of the day. Tim got his building and has become worse than useless, Dave doesn't give a shit anymore, and Jason is bouncing off the walls and more scatter brained than normal. Yet all three manage to find time for communal smoke breaks. My field work has been curtailed because I'm the only getting stuff done in the shop and that's starting to irritate me. Five more weeks.

It's looks to me, that by the time I retire, I may be the last of Modern Track people still at Geismar. Having been through this before, I don't see much enthusiasm in the four others staying on. The head of CS is staying for two years as a mentor. Her replacement doesn't want to live in SC. I give my boss maybe two years. He is not liking​ the changes at all. Jason, I give 18 months before he bails. He's not a desk type guy and all his inefficiencies will stand out. Al, the new prez, will hang on the longest but I think he may get thown under the bus once things are up and running right. Then again, I might get canned at the end of the year because I spoke my mind.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Then again, I might get canned at the end of the year because I spoke my mind.
Nah...... They may put you in charge of the whole dang thing!!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Nah...... They may put you in charge of the whole dang thing!!
Good Lord, no.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #70

Queso, is there any of the tired shop equipment that interests you? I'd do terrible things for a Bridgeport.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Queso, is there any of the tired shop equipment that interests you? I'd do terrible things for a Bridgeport.
Nah. The lathe is an old worn out Jet without reverse. The mill is the same; old, worn out, and a Jet. Mig is a 20 year old HTP 160 that Tim has already peed on, along with the oxy set up, plasma cutter and hydraulic press.

There may be some smaller tools that I might grab because, A) no one knows how to use it. And, B) no one knows it's here.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 06-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Nah. The lathe is an old worn out Jet without reverse. The mill is the same; old, worn out, and a Jet. Mig is a 20 year old HTP 160 that Tim has already peed on, along with the oxy set up, plasma cutter and hydraulic press.

There may be some smaller tools that I might grab because, A) no one knows how to use it. And, B) no one knows it's here.
And (c) no one even knows what they are for.

Funny story, got a call from dispatch saying a north bound was pulling a car on fire...turned out it was a rail grinding unit. And the next day when the wind came up, it fires up a wood tie that harbored those sparks over night.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #73

Quote:
And (c) no one even knows what they are for.

Funny story, got a call from dispatch saying a north bound was pulling a car on fire...turned out it was a rail grinding unit. And the next day when the wind came up, it fires up a wood tie that harbored those sparks over night.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #74

Off-topic, but that reminds me of the time I saw a train travelling north on the tracks that are next to Highway 2 in Alberta, heading to Edmonton. One of the axles had failed (I presume it to be a bearing of some fashion) and the wheel was locked up. Sparks were showering into the ditch, which left a fire for several miles. Since this was after the discontinuation of manned cabooses, nobody was on board to see it. Also, few people had cell phones in the '80's, so it burned for quite a while before it was detected.

BTW, I'd even give lots of love to a worn out Jet mill.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
BTW, I'd even give lots of love to a worn out Jet mill.
Sorry, Weld. Old weird Harold (my boss) put the mill on the 'take with' list.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800