Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
I can confirm with 100% accuracy that if one wishes to change from 15" rear to 17" and 18" front to 19", one does not need to buy new spokes for both rear and front. The original spokes are of sufficient lengths.

These are the proof. My Zong is outfitted with rear Mitas E07 130/80-R17 on a 2.5x17 rim with stock spokes and front Mitas E07 110/80-R19 on a 1.85x19 rim also with stock spokes.

Can't wait to try them out!

Rear Mitas E07 130/80-R17 on 2.5x17 aluminium rim.

Front Mitas E07 110/80-R19 on 1.85x19 aluminium rim. Note the clearance between mudguard and tyre. Entirely stock.

Note that after changing to 17 rear and 19 front, the double stand is unable to give ground clearance to both wheels. Only managed to keep the bike stable.

No wonder aliens never make contact with us.

-A Zong rider-

Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Very good, Jezzrite!

The stand can be changed to hold one wheel off the ground with just a little metal welded on. Very easy.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Very good, Jezzrite!

The stand can be changed to hold one wheel off the ground with just a little metal welded on. Very easy.
Nice. I will do exactly that. Thanks Jay!

No wonder aliens never make contact with us.

-A Zong rider-

Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
Nice. I will do exactly that. Thanks Jay!
Pure awesomenes! I am looking foward to mounting my new tires too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
I can confirm with 100% accuracy that if one wishes to change from 15" rear to 17" and 18" front to 19", one does not need to buy new spokes for both rear and front. The original spokes are of sufficient lengths.
So... pink elephant: where can one find a good 19" front rim choice for under $200?

I figure with that option I could replace the rim and:
1. Save $
2. Get a lighter, stronger rim (alloy over steel)
3. Instead of having a spare wheel laying around, I would only have a spare hoop.

I've already checked Warp9 and several other websites, but they don't offer a 19" front 36 spoke, only rear.
Given the popularity of 19" fronts in adv bikes, I would think there would be more options, but perhaps the adv crowd is not so keen on lacing rims, preferring to buy wheels only. I see CSC sells the 18" replacement rim for only $42, but no option to buy the 19" rim.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
So... pink elephant: where can one find a good 19" front rim choice for under $200?

I figure with that option I could replace the rim and:
1. Save $
2. Get a lighter, stronger rim (alloy over steel)
3. Instead of having a spare wheel laying around, I would only have a spare hoop.

I've already checked Warp9 and several other websites, but they don't offer a 19" front 36 spoke, only rear.
Given the popularity of 19" fronts in adv bikes, I would think there would be more options, but perhaps the adv crowd is not so keen on lacing rims, preferring to buy wheels only. I see CSC sells the 18" replacement rim for only $42, but no option to buy the 19" rim.
A size 2.15-19 rim with 36 spoke holes will work for either the front, or rear wheel. For example, you can choose either the Warp9 or Tusk rims from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I have built about a half dozen wheels with Warp9 rims, and I like them a lot.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rm=2.15-19+rim

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rm=2.15-19+rim

If you decide to lace a 19-inch front wheel, I suggest you purchase the 19-inch spokes from CSC. The longer spokes will definitely increase your chances of building a stronger wheel.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/19-Fro...-p/z50-117.htm
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/product-p/z50-118.htm

If you don't mind spending the money for custom spokes, I highly recommend a 21-inch front wheel. The 21-inch front wheel has transformed my RX3.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17732

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #7

Hmm, I would have thought a rear rim would be overbuilt compared to a front to handle all of the extra torque and weight.

But yes, seeing how my rear wheel rebuild to 17" warp9 rim resulted in barely enough spoke length using the old spokes, I would not risk using the old spokes for a 1" rim increase.

I am very tempted to go the 21" route. While I'm not much of a trail rider, I have heard some RTW ADV riders proclaim that the larger wheel size is worth it even for long stretches of gravel or heavily potholed pavement.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
Hmm, I would have thought a rear rim would be overbuilt compared to a front to handle all of the extra torque and weight.

But yes, seeing how my rear wheel rebuild to 17" warp9 rim resulted in barely enough spoke length using the old spokes, I would not risk using the old spokes for a 1" rim increase.

I am very tempted to go the 21" route. While I'm not much of a trail rider, I have heard some RTW ADV riders proclaim that the larger wheel size is worth it even for long stretches of gravel or heavily potholed pavement.
Trust me, you will never regret going to a 21-inch front rim. The improvement in handling is dramatic. I see you have joined the following thread. Another fellow plans to build a 21-inch front wheel for his RX3, and I intend to give him the spoke information tomorrow.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17732

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894