Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #1

110cc Loncin

I have a very small oil leak, and after looking closer discovered it is coming from the small notch at the bottom of the mag/starter cover. I took this cover off and as far as I can tell can only be a crank seal?
Why is this notch in the bottom of this cover? Is is so one knows when you have a leaky seal, or are these engines known to leak a drop or two after broke in? I can keep enough oil in her, but am afraid it will only get worse as time goes on, and this is new machine :(
I have already had to modify the lower front control arm area, but not a big deal. I don't look forward to replacing a crank seal, unless it can be done without a teardown.
Anyone else have any input, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #2

Oil leak

I have seen that leak before, not a tear down of the engine but it might take an hour or two of a mechanics time. It might be leaking from the magneto and starter chain case, which is easy to remove as long as you have a steering wheel puller for the magneto.I personally had to replace that case in one of my quads which comes with the seal pressed in to it. lay it on its side when you remove the case so you wont spill oil. go to www.nstmotor.com for the part (good luck with the customer service but the part was like $20.00)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #3

The notch/hole in the cover is just like you said... in case of an oil leak or incase water should get in it has a way out.
Oil should not leak out of this hole though and if it does you have an oil leak at the crank seal.

Usually not a huge job to replace the seal but it won't go away on its own, however the rotor/flywheel depending on the type of charge system will need to be removed along with the timing gear in order to replace the seal. Sometimes a special tool is needed to pull the flywheel though but these are avaialable from just about any bike shop. Once everything is out of the way the seal can be removed and a new one installed.
match up the #'s and you may be able to use the actual Honda part # instead of the Loncin seal, maybe?