Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #121

^^^^^
I was thinking the same thing. Like that store front.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #122

Did some carb futzing today. Found a place called 6 Sigma Jet Kits that will build up a jet kit for your bike based on make, model, and elevation. http://www.6sigmajetkit.com/
Saved ten bucks by going through amazon.

Stock jets in my Ural were 130 main and 40 low speed. I felt the jetting was too lean after fixing all the PO induced problems. Basically white plugs. Also had a lot of farting and snorting on cold mornings. I upped the low speed to 42 and that helped a bit but still felt I was still too lean at speed. Plugs were still too light.

So, I ordered the kit and gave 6 Sigma my specs. Got a kit with three different sized main jets, 2 each of 127.5, 132.5 and 137.5. A pair of 45 low speed jets, a #35 drill bit and a 5/32 bit, a bunch of needle shims and several pages of instructions.

In a nutshell, replaced the 42 low speed jet with the 45, replaced the 130 main with the 132.5, used the #35 bit to open the air passage in the slide. Two needle shims are recommended and that's what I already had, so I did nothing there. Mixture screw 2.5 turns out and put the 5/32 bit in my drawer because I didn't need to drill out any caps. This is to establish a baseline.

First thing I needed to do was up the idle a tad. Idle is 800-1000rpm and 900 seems to be the happy place once warmed up. I was sitting at 600. After letting the engine warm up, the idle was set around 900 and I went for a short ride. Just from the 'seat of my pants', there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and acceleration. It was a bit chilled (29F) today and I wasn't really dressed for an extended ride, so I didn't get a lot of testing in. One obvious thing is that the exhaust now has the same slightly rich scent as the CX.

Doing my annual 35-45 mile Polar Bear Ride tomorrow and will pull a plug when I get home but I already have a good feeling about what I will find.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #123

when I do buy one of these, I'm bringing it to you for tuning!

how did the ride go? I've been sick for a week now and have not gotten my sidecar tire put back on yet. sure would love to ride some even though we're getting rain.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
when I do buy one of these, I'm bringing it to you for tuning!

how did the ride go? I've been sick for a week now and have not gotten my sidecar tire put back on yet. sure would love to ride some even though we're getting rain.
That's a heck of a trip for a tune up.

The bike ran really well.
In cold temps like we had yesterday, I'd normally pull the enrichers out for each carb and let the engine idle for 30-45 seconds before closing them and then blip the throttle to keep up the idle. Next, I'd back out of the garage and let the engine warm up while I don my gear and close the door. Then, slowly take off while the engine farted and snorted until I got the rpms up enough to get off the idle circuit.

Yesterday, pulled out the enrichers and started the engine. Within ten seconds, I needed to close them because the engine was starting to load up. Didn't need to blip the throttle to keep up the idle. Backed out, donned my gear and took off like it was eighty degrees out. No farting or snorting at all.

Being able to accelerate uphill in forth was a pleasant surprise. Also, not having the idle drop to almost stalling at a stop light was plus. Just sat nicely at 900 every time I came to a stop.

I didn't get a chance to pull a plug yesterday. Feeling 'blah' today, so not happening today, either.

One thing I forgot to mention is that 6 Sigma also needs to know what exhaust mods, if any, were done. Mid pipe/cats were removed on mine. Which is probably why there were three shims on the slide needle and the mixture screws were backed out so far when I got the bike.

6 Sigma can do up a kit for just about any bike. Just so you know.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #125

Senor Queso, do you think you'll need to lean the mixture out in the summer?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #126

That remains to be seen, Weld.

I don't do squat to the CX as far as mixture goes once it's set. The Ural carbs are also CV, although CVKs instead of VBs, so it shouldn't be an issue. At most, maybe turn the fuel screw in a half turn or so when things warm up. That said, the Urals' carbs are out in front of God and everybody while the CX carbs are tucked up behind the engine, dry and warm.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #127

I forgot about the CV design. They strike me as the Rochester Quadrajet of the motorcycle world, and I presume they're more forgiving to elevation and temperature changes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I forgot about the CV design. They strike me as the Rochester Quadrajet of the motorcycle world, and I presume they're more forgiving to elevation and temperature changes.
I like that analogy, even though I cut my teeth on Holleys and Carters. My 85 (or was it 84?)Suburban had a Quadrajet and the only problem it ever gave me was when a couple of idiot squirrels stored their stash of nuts under the throttle linkage. 2000 rpm idle.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #129

I found something to go with the Ural this week at a surplus store in MinneSnowta.

The Ushanka is actually Slovakian and the star is a doodad the store sells with the hat, so post-Soviet era. It's unbelievably warm and it was on clearance. I paid eight bucks for it.

I was wearing it yesterday morning in the sub-zero weather when I went outside to help a truck driver detach his froze up trailer. The trucker looks at me and says in a thick Russian accent, "Are you from Mother Russia, too?" I told him no and that I got the hat to go with my Russian bike and I liked how warm it was.

"You have Ural?" He pronounced it 'OO-Rahl', which sounds better than 'Yer-all'.
"Not very fast." Nope.
"You have reverse?" Uh-huh
"Sometimes good bike, some times sheet bike."
"You have driven sidecar wheel?" Yup. At which point I got a .

We BS'ed about Urals, Harleys, and Hondas as I loaded his trailer with another hi rail crane. I think this is the 212th one I've loaded in the last 20 years.

The 213th was loaded later in the day.

I wish I'd remembered to take a pic when he showed me his Russian Army Officers Ushanka hat. Mine paled in comparison.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #130

Cheesy

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I found something to go with the Ural this week at a surplus store in MinneSnowta.

I wish I'd remembered to take a pic when he showed me his Russian Army Officers Ushanka hat. Mine paled in comparison.
I'd say you're completely hooked!

great story!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #132

I got spotted today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Props to the guy taking the pics because he didn't take any of when I slipped and fell on my butt. At least I kept the pizza 'cheesy' side up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #133

Rained really hard today and I didn't think the Ural would float, so I used the day to replace the sidecar drive U-joints. Somewhat of a PITA but easier than the Jeep.

Looks like I may be freshening up the final drive in the not to distant future, too. Nothing serious happening but there is some slop in the pinion shaft. I'll need to open it up to set the lash, so I may as well replace the pinion bearings and all the seals while I'm at it. No sparklies in the gear oil so nothing is disintegrating, which is a good thing.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #134

that's the reason I'm really leaning away from the urals. I love the style and idea of them, but the maintenance side of things scares me away. I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but I don't really want to spend that kind of time and energy keeping things working.

I have been thinking lately about finding a nice used triumph bonnie that I could fit up to a ural style sidecar. then install leading links on the front and some nice dual sport wheels front and rear. the only downside I can see is the chain drive.

If I can just win the lottery all these dreams can some true.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #135

No worries, SR.

Just one of the things I'm used to, I guess. One of my Dads' favorite 'Dadisms' is "If you can't fix it, you probably shouldn't own it". He got that from his Dad. Who probably got it from his Dad. So, I do the maintenance on everything we own save for oil changes on the Audi. I'll pay someone to drop that damn splash pan.

I knew the u-joints were worn going into this. The PO said he wasn't big on PM and probably made things worse when he tried. Said he wouldn't touch a thing on his Ducati.

As far as the final drive goes, I was checking something else when I spotted the slop. I also figured out that someone has been into it once before because some things just ain't how they should be. That brought out more of a sigh than the slop in the pinion shaft. Which also makes me think there may be little more wrong with it other than poor set up. The bad thing is that either poor set up or worn parts, it has to come out and taken down.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800