Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to steveccanyon
Thanks

Thanks for all the comments guys...

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #32

The Nape Pass

Thursday 6th December. Villabouri to Sainamhai Resort 282k's

Today would be another big day I was heading up towards the Nape pass via a small resort so it meant a bit of back tracking but I have time so what the hell. I set the GPS to get me up to route 12 and would make the rest of the plan from there. After yesterday's trip I was up for an easier day but the route had different plans for me, once again the drift captured it all.

It's a 6.30am start and within 20 minutes I'm back on the trails in remote places which I had not seen before but all saved on my GPS. Already I can see that the day is not going to be easy as the first 2 river crossings were difficult and deep, slippery stones,broken logs and mud. Passed through some really old villages and often had to double backup to find the right trail as they seemed to be many new ones, a good test of my resolve and I was enjoying a different challenge today.

After a while I arrive at the massive opening as the trail stops, it's a dried paddy field with the Normal borders around them and the trail has stopped but I can see other tracks so I have a little scout about but there is nothing going in my direction so I just follow where the track should have been, straight across the fields as far as the eye can see.

Great Views

Time for a quick stop to hydrate then it,s full steam ahead as my notions of an easy day have gone and I'm starting to enjoy this rather hard one, I have to back track a few times, move logs negotiate ditches all in the blistering heat. The Paddy fields prove hard as the small walls are to high and the bike keeps getting beached.

Beached!

I have to say this today would be one of my favorite rides ever, after a couple of hrs I come out onto a road and I,m back on track again.

The road is dusty but fast, no traffic and eventually I arrive at route 12 stop for some lunch about 20k's from route 8B which took me past Nam Theun power station and up an amazing twisty climb to about 700 meters then it flattened out, after the climb the road became graded and fast lots of building work and people around, lots of money.

[IMG][/IMG]

As I press on the land opens up into what I can only describe as as a sea with trees as far as the eye can see, was this a result of the power station flooding the area? I have no idea but what I saw was amazing and it went on for miles and miles, it's a protected area and I had the place to myself, 70k's an hr with a plume of dust following me, this is another must ride with some great little places to stay and great views.

It's beautiful up here!

More wet Forrest.

Brilliant trails and no traffic at all.

The last 20k's was back into the jungle which is also being fixed up road wise a great track and I stop to talk to the work guys who spoke great English and was excited to meet the little farang and find out were I came from.

Moving the dirt.

Heading back into the bush.

The trail went back into the bush and after a bit there was a break in the bush and I realize there is a valley the size of London the other side of the trees, another wow moment and this ride keep getting better and better.

The Children in this house have a View to die for.

Lucky people waking up to that everyday.

I exit the 8B and head West on route 8 this is were I have to back track toward the limestone Forrest, the sun is going down at this point and I want to make it to the view point before it sets so I'm in a hurry, I stop along the way to get some other shots but I'm chasing the sun.

This shot remind me of ET for some reason.

I don't think I will make it, but gods loves a trier

This is the spot I was chasing. Only just made it.

I make just before it sets then I head for the resort where I have a meeting about some school uniforms I'm supplying. The resort is beautiful and I have a wonderful evening with the owner and his family and a few beer Laos and a large steak cooked by his daughter who is a Chef in training, she going to be good!.... then it's of to bed to ready myself for an early start up to the Nape pass. I have to say that to date has been the fun ride I have ever undertaken in Laos and would do it again anytime.

:rofl

Friday 7th December Sainamhai Resort to The Nape pass and onto Vientiane 478k's

Morning arrives and I'm up early say my good byes and head of, today would be a long day 476 k's and my broken skin on my backside and hands is giving me Hell, my right index finger is badly swollen but I have to press on, I took a detour but got stopped because of a drainage ditch which was being made so I had to turn back but this is what it looked like....

Beautiful.

I'm coming back to finish this ride.

I will return to that story when I complete it. Back to the route to VTE. And this is how the morning had started.

Amazing view, looks like somebody painted those mountains.

As I rode up to the pass it was raining and bloody cold, no turning back so when I reached the top I took a couple of snaps and headed back down and dried out and warmed up.

Now I will set the GPS for Vientiane switch my brain of and endure a long ride with only views for company, back passed the limestone Forrest again up to route 13.

I arrive at Vientiane about 7 that evening and find a hotel in town, clean up and eat as it had been a long day, I would leave for Thailand in the morning and was back home about 2pm looking the worst for wear, my mission had been a success apart from one thing which I will return to soon.

This ride as a blast, I saw many new things and experienced some wonderful moments that I can carry forever, the Lifan has paid for itself. The bike did not miss a beat and got through all the hard terrain without falling apart, think I'll give her a service when we get back and a night in the Kitchen as way of a thank you.

I'm back of up to Chaing Mai with my Mum until the 20th then I'm heading back for another 6 day blast to see things on the ever growing list.

Love the Lifan.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #33

Thank you for the excwllent post(s)/picture book. We are lucky to have you here on our forum. :P

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #34

Thanks for posting the beautiful photographs! Your Lifan did an excellent job for you.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #35

What's with the last pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
What's with the last pic?
That's for those who said the bike would fall apart before it left the showroom. That trip was hard man, and It felt great to have done it...

Love the Lifan

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #37

The Singapore Four

On Christmas Eve I set of for Laos again, I was planning to meet a friend and his 3 riding buddies who were coming up from Singapore to ride in Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos, they had asked me a while back did I think it could be done, my reply was "I'm not sure but it sure would be an Adventure just trying", well they are all here now and the trip is on.

Meet The guys a first as far as I Know

Yempaul BMW GS1200

Umar BMW GS1200 Adventurer

Arris Yamaha Tenere 1200

Mahdi Truimph Explorer 1200

Your taking what down the trails!

I'm still on the LIfan.

And 6000k's later she is running well and gave a great account for it's self against the cream of Adventure bikes

The plan was to Join the HCMT west of Thakek near the Mu Gui pass and head south as far as we could in the given time which had been cut short. I'm not going to right the full RR on this one I think that should go to the boys, I will just give you a taster of it and let the boys tell tell you about the suffering involved....:rofl

We left on the 26th December and after the easy start we soon got into trouble on the rocky descents.

Beautiful trails

The pain started early.

It was not all pain, we had some fun at the local schools.

Then it got really hard, bikes in the river, sunk boats and a lot of sweat and laughter.

Then it got Dark, we ended up in guest house about 9.30 pm, the jungle is a scary place at night and navigation is even harder.

We rested the next day and did some sight seeing.

The Museum in Dong

Shot up Wat Ban Xepon

Bomb Craters.

And the mother..

Friendly locals.

A great day was had, the next day there was only 2 of us and we would take on a section of trail that is very difficult.

Good morning.

Would make it down this infamous part of the trail?

There is a whole lot more to this story and I cant wait for Umar to getting banging those keys

Thanks for inviting me along guys it was a pleasure

Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #38

I would much rather be riding your Lifan than any of those larger motorcycles, Steve. Once again, thanks for posting the beautiful photographs.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #39

Amazing pics as usual. What is the significance of the footprint?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #40

Vietnam is on my bucket list.

I still have to admire the BMW for what it can do. Despite the fact 99.9% of Beemer drivers I've ever met would never get their precious bike dirty. :wink:

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #41

The Lifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I would much rather be riding your Lifan than any of those larger motorcycles, Steve. Once again, thanks for posting the beautiful photographs.

Spud
It was the bike to be on......

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #42

Footprint

Quote:
When we were planning the ride there was a bit of worry about if it can be done.....we think it was a first as far as the big bikes go

My reply was...we aint going to the moon, when I looked down at the dust it reminded me of that footprint from the moon...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #43

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Vietnam is on my bucket list.

I still have to admire the BMW for what it can do. Despite the fact 99.9% of Beemer drivers I've ever met would never get their precious bike dirty. :wink:
That's very true of many BMW owners, these guys used them for what they were made for....although they are to big for this particular job...

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #44

Re: Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveccanyon
Quote:
When we were planning the ride there was a bit of worry about if it can be done.....we think it was a first as far as the big bikes go

My reply was...we aint going to the moon, when I looked down at the dust it reminded me of that footprint from the moon...

That's one small step for a Lifan, one giant leap for a BMW.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #45

Re: Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveccanyon
Quote:

That's one small step for a Lifan, one giant leap for a BMW.

Spud

That made me laugh dude...nice one...