Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
PS. I meant to say it earlier, but I like your signature addition
Thanks. Guess who inspired me?

I use Letterlock. They're an Abbotsford company, and they charge a flat four bucks for anything I've ever received there (including larger items like a dirt bike front end). They also print a $1.00 coupon on the receipt, and you can use it the next time you pick up a package. They're at 726 Cherry Street, right across from the Chevron. Be aware that USPS doesn't deliver directly to them, but UPS and Fedex do (among others). It's best to include the PO box and the street address as your shipping address, which is what I do. If your package is being shipped by USPS, Letterlock will retreive it from the Post Office and bring it to their store.

Their service has been excellent for me. Check 'em out at www.letterlock.com

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #32

I'll have to check that out, thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #33

That place must be making pretty good money off Canadians.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #34

The repainted parts, and repainted frame look very nice, Jim!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #35

Looks good so far, cant wait to see it run.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #36

Got a bit of it put back together today..

It's been apart quite a while so I had to try and remember where everything came from... Had a few small pieces I forgot to paint that I did today as well... Helping people move tomorrow so it probably will be a few more days before any more progress... Next up I'm going to finish installing the upper fork bridge, bars, wiring in bars, and then go to the back and do the swingarm shocks foot pegs kick stand and fender... Not too many pieces left that I don't know where they belong..

I need to buy new cables (clutch, brake, throttle), some gas line, tires, brake shoes, levers (clutch and front brake), and air filters. Going to look for after market air filters, I saw some "uni" ones on ebay that say they fit the stock box, but don't cost a fortune like original ones.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #37

Looks like it's going to shine like a new penny, Nice work so far.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #38

It's looking good, Jim; please keep the photos coming!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #39

Except for the aluminium, the fork legs and the wheel hubs... I'm putting them back on without polishing them... For now, simple because I want to get it going, they'll come back off later to get polished...

That and the bracket for the ignition switch seen in the picture above, just below the backbone part of the frame at the front I would suppose is the best way to describe it... I didn't see it because it was in the pile with wiring, but I'll get that one after.

The other piece that isn't shiny is the motor, I'm not quite sure what to do with it, the fins look pretty tricky to clean up.. Ideally I'd love to sand blast and get it all clean, then apply new paint where paint goes and polish the rest, but I don't think I'm going to take the motor apart enough to do that and I doubt it's a good idea to do with the motor together?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #40

I went down to 3d cycles today for some parts. I got front and rear brake shoes. Apparently the front brake shoes are discontinued but there is a few left in Ontario or something, but they are around $75! Darwin did some research and found they use the same one as a cm400 I believe it was, and they were much cheaper, around $38. I got a clutch lever and ordered a brake lever, and ordered a clutch cable. I also got a gas cap for my ct70, because I don't want to leave it to get crud or water in it while I'm not working on it. And... a ZoX 3/4 helmet that was on for $59. I'm pretty good at spending money I could have saved a bit on eBay I'm sure, but I went this route for convenience and speediness. I can't get a front brake shoe on eBay, and I also no longer have a paypal account... If I factor in the time waiting to get everything, waiting for auctions to end, driving down to the border, and the fee at the mailbox place it isn't a huge advantage. I also like to support the local guy if I can... Speaking of which, I was talking to Darwin and he says they are going to be getting bikes out of the USA so they will still be selling new Honda's apparently? I also saw two shiny new Xingyue 400's down there. One of the street version and one of the "euro style adventure" versions... They look like good bikes, but I didn't see any tags on them, Darwin said they had them there for someone else.

A little bit more put together on the bike, swing arm, shocks, tail light, more wiring, grommets here and there... I also removed all the wiring from the old handle bars and fed it into the new one, and moved over the controls. That's put back on to the fork top bridge along with the gauges, and is just waiting for the forks now then it can go back onto the bike.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #41

That looks really good Jim. 8) Good for you for supporting Darwin.

Are you able to convert the ignition to CDI, or are you stuck with points?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #42

That is very nice progress, Jim. In particular, I really like the chrome fender.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #43

I haven't looked into the ignition stuff at all, I don't honestly know anything about it :P

The chrome fender is actually the same one that was on there, it's not perfect, but the part that will show is ok, I just went over it with an sos pad.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #44

Looks like some good progress. Keep it going!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #45

A little more progress today... Got the rear brake drums switched out, got the forks, upper fork bridge assembly (including bars, guages, controls, etc), on the bike... The forks are polished (my dad did this and he did a great job)... Overall I think it's looking pretty good... I also wanted to get the rear wheel and front fender on today, but the power went out so the work day was cut short... Too dark for a picture...