Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Well, I guess you can call me "John P, crusher of dreams", but there is no way to take one of these cheap Hawks and mod it into a reliable highway machine. PERIOD.

Let me explain. And keep in mind that I've done a s*!%load of stuff to mine, and have more parts and mods that I'll be sharing documentation for in the not too distant future. But all the mods in the world won't turn this bike into a Honda or a KTM.

The engine makes about 14 horsepower. In order to get another 10 (like 66% more!) You would need to bore out the motor and do all kinds of stuff. You aren't just going to bolt on 5 horses with a new carb and pipe. People here have done those mods, and no one has reported a 33% power increase.

These bikes run really, really rough. They do not have counterbalanced engines, so the harder you rev them, the more they shake. When cruising along at 40MPH my bike buzzes like it's going to fall apart. Others here have gone on sustained fishing expeditions to get rid of all the buzzing, without complete success.

These bikes also have very weak brakes, which doesn't matter when you aren't going to fast. But they won't stop these things from 75 in an emergency.

The suspensions are super cheap, and super old school.

The seats are uncomfortable for "sustained" rides.

I could go on, but I'll sum up by saying - I LOVE my Hawk! No one is a bigger fan than me. And I can afford literally any vehicle on the planet, so that's saying a lot. But let's not pretend we can turn it into a refined, powerful and reliable bike. It just can't be done. Even if you spent $4,000, you won't have the equivalent of a new $4,000 Honda.

So my advice is, if $2,500 is your budget, find a nice used KTM, Honda or Yamaha. It'll give you what you want with no work, and you'll have higher end, more reliable components all around.

Again, sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
Actually...... a 500 buck motor swap and I'll get 100+mph out of it

Old 10-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #32

How to get 75 MPH out of a new Hawk: spend the money on a used Jap bike instead.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #33

I'm going to get my hawk to go 75mph safely,it feels stable and the brakes aren't that bad when going 68mph with 3/4 throttle.I rely on engine braking a lot.We are not the same old same old,we are CHINARIDERS.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm going to get my hawk to go 75mph safely,it feels stable and the brakes aren't that bad when going 68mph with 3/4 throttle.I rely on engine braking a lot.We are not the same old same old,we are CHINARIDERS.
i would run 80mph on my storm without any worry, it just will not do it ... lol

Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #35

My Hawk starts to float around at about 60mph. It is a slow wobble. That combined with the knobbies make for a butt clenching experience. It is a random sort of thing, and I can't really reproduce it. One of Motocheeze's videos showed the wobble when his son (I think) was riding it.

Do any of your bike's do this?

Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
My Hawk starts to float around at about 60mph. It is a slow wobble. That combined with the knobbies make for a butt clenching experience. It is a random sort of thing, and I can't really reproduce it. One of Motocheeze's videos showed the wobble when his son (I think) was riding it.

I have 80-20 Shinko705 tires on mine.The tires that the Hawk comes with are dangerous on pavement at or over 60mph.

Last edited by chuck; 10-10-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #37

Quote:

I've never owned a bike equipped with knobbies front and rear, that didn't do this. It seemed more like a squirm than a wobble to me. The more radical the knobby, the worse the squirming, as I recall. Some bikes are more prone to do this than others. Fork rake and trail contributes to this. A shorter rear shock will make it better, as it increases both rake and trail. But then you have a slower handling motorcycle. Not so good for off road, most places. And the shorter shock only helps on the front, the rear will still squirm.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #38

really!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
How to get 75 MPH out of a new Hawk: spend the money on a used Jap bike instead.
I have a hawk that will do 75mph indicated with stock gearing. I promise you its possible. You just have to get the jetting just right and these things seem to be a little finicky about where that sweet spot is.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredweb View Post
I have a hawk that will do 75mph indicated with stock gearing. I promise you its possible. You just have to get the jetting just right and these things seem to be a little finicky about where that sweet spot is.
indicated and gps confirmed are two different stories...

Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #40

Quote:

Truing and balancing the wheels will make for a much better ride regardless of what tires are on it.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

I've set up my Hawk for long distance travel. I run 17/45 gearing, open intake and exhaust. After 3200 miles I've settled on 55mph at 6000 rpm's as the sweet spot for this bike. Will it go faster, yes, however you'll rattle the teeth out of your head.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I've set up my Hawk for long distance travel. I run 17/45 gearing, open intake and exhaust. After 3200 miles I've settled on 55mph at 6000 rpm's as the sweet spot for this bike. Will it go faster, yes, however you'll rattle the teeth out of your head.
Since I changed the sprockets to 17-39t the engine vibration is gone,now it's such a smooth engine for a single .The sweet spot on mine is 60mph @ 6000 rpm.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Since I changed the sprockets to 17-39t the engine vibration is gone,now it's such a smooth engine for a single .The sweet spot on mine is 60mph @ 6000 rpm.
I thought of doing the same, though with the load I'm carrying I doubt the clutch would last very long.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 10-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I thought of doing the same, though with the load I'm carrying I doubt the clutch would last very long.
I'm running a 16-40T combo that I'm liking at the moment. I upgraded my clutch to KG friction plates and heavy springs. I don't really know if its worth buying KG, EBC, or Barnett plates when you can buy a whole chinese clutch assembly for around $30.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #45

Has anybody installed an aftermarket CDI on the Hawk 250? Scooter riders will sometimes do that to eliminate the factory rev limiter or the better ones offer an adjustable rev limiter. More RPM=More MPH.

Tags
dual sport, hawk 250, hawk 250 specs, highway, horsepower