Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

Ouestion about valve adjustment

I'll be doing my first valve inspection/adjustment tomorrow and while I was reading the tutorial, when it got to the part about turning the crankshaft to align the alternator scribe line it didn't mention whether to turn it clockwise or counter clockwise. Does it matter which way to turn it?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

Clockwise (so there is no chance of loosening the nut)
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

If this is what you are referring to......

It's counter clockwise for me....that's the direction the engine turns when running, and it keeps the timing chain taut.

jb

Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

Yes, it does matter. What engine do you have? Without knowing that, we can't really offer accurate advice.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yes, it does matter. What engine do you have? Without knowing that, we can't really offer accurate advice.
He has an RX3.....NC250 engine.

jb

Old 05-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies Huck 369, franque, and jbfla but I've got bigger problems now. While removing the bolts for the exh. valve cover I rounded off one of the heads. Naturally it was the last one and the toughest to get to. Now I have to figure out how to get it out. It's the lower bolt on the left side (when sitting on the bike). Any suggestions?
BTW, I do have an RX3.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I thought that engines turned counter clockwise, just wanted to make sure.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post

If this is what you are referring to......

It's counter clockwise for me....that's the direction the engine turns when running, and it keeps the timing chain taut.

jb
That's what I was thinking.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1959 View Post
Thanks for the replies Huck 369, franque, and jbfla but I've got bigger problems now. While removing the bolts for the exh. valve cover I rounded off one of the heads. Naturally it was the last one and the toughest to get to. Now I have to figure out how to get it out. It's the lower bolt on the left side (when sitting on the bike). Any suggestions?
BTW, I do have an RX3.
If you have a 12 point socket, try that first. Alternatively, go a size smaller socket and with a long extension, hammer the socket onto the rounded bolt head. The bolts are relatively soft.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 06-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
I'll be doing my first valve inspection/adjustment tomorrow and while I was reading the tutorial, when it got to the part about turning the crankshaft to align the alternator scribe line it didn't mention whether to turn it clockwise or counter clockwise. Does it matter which way to turn it?
Yes those CSC maintenance tutorials on their site, while friendly sounding and inviting to the novice, misses out on some key things like torque values, additional tips to ensure you're at the correct TDC etc. Removing those 2 timing mark plugs shown on the photo helped a ton and it's super easy to remove em. Another tip I picked up from the web is to grab hold of the valve adjustment screws and give em a good shake. They should move around slightly and possibly even make a clicking sound if there's no tension on em. That's IF they're not over tightened.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirob View Post
Yes those CSC maintenance tutorials on their site, while friendly sounding and inviting to the novice, misses out on some key things like torque values, additional tips to ensure you're at the correct TDC etc. Removing those 2 timing mark plugs shown on the photo helped a ton and it's super easy to remove em. Another tip I picked up from the web is to grab hold of the valve adjustment screws and give em a good shake. They should move around slightly and possibly even make a clicking sound if there's no tension on em. That's IF they're not over tightened.
Yea, I found out the hard way but I eventually got it straightened out.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
as with any engine always look where the chain/belt tensioner is located and think as which direction the pulley/gear goes as to not put the tension on the chain/belt at the tensioner side etc.

every engine ever produced goes clockwise and anticlockwise at the same time.
it depends what side or end you are looking from (like left hand side or right hand side its bother by nature but depends on where you stand etc)