Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Flying a Hawk from Florida to Fargo

Full disclosure: don't own a hawk at the moment, just a Vulcan S....Also, no literal flying would be involved in the trip...

I am contemplating the possibility of a 5000 mile round trip from Tampa to Fargo and back. I have friends up in ND and it would be an adventure. Currently own a 650 (yes, I could take that bike), have many years on a 50cc two stroke, very mechanically/technically inclined. Thinking about next summer for the trip. Would stay off the interstate, cruise "highways" at 55ish.

I have seen a couple of folks mention their longer trips, and had a couple of questions for the hive mind:
  1. Is this too crazy? I am not opposed to a challenge, but is this just setting myself up for failure? I would have trusted my 2001 kymco two stroke to drive forever at WOT, but can I trust a hawk with those kind of consistent miles? Looking at 300+ miles a day.
  2. Having already reviewed the technical resources and suggested (or required) upgrades, what do you think would be the biggest challenge?
Here are my biggest concerns in no particular order - i would appreciate any and all feed back.
  • Prolonged WOT/consistent high revs leading to the inevitable heat death of the universe
  • Random Mechanical Failure (ie. bearings, internal components)
  • Not great comfort. Particularly concerned about vibration from raod and engine.

What do you think?

Old 10-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr pibbs View Post
Full disclosure: don't own a hawk at the moment, just a Vulcan S....Also, no literal flying would be involved in the trip...

I am contemplating the possibility of a 5000 mile round trip from Tampa to Fargo and back. I have friends up in ND and it would be an adventure. Currently own a 650 (yes, I could take that bike), have many years on a 50cc two stroke, very mechanically/technically inclined. Thinking about next summer for the trip. Would stay off the interstate, cruise "highways" at 55ish.

I have seen a couple of folks mention their longer trips, and had a couple of questions for the hive mind:
  1. Is this too crazy? I am not opposed to a challenge, but is this just setting myself up for failure? I would have trusted my 2001 kymco two stroke to drive forever at WOT, but can I trust a hawk with those kind of consistent miles? Looking at 300+ miles a day.
  2. Having already reviewed the technical resources and suggested (or required) upgrades, what do you think would be the biggest challenge?
Here are my biggest concerns in no particular order - i would appreciate any and all feed back.
  • Prolonged WOT/consistent high revs leading to the inevitable heat death of the universe
  • Random Mechanical Failure (ie. bearings, internal components)
  • Not great comfort. Particularly concerned about vibration from raod and engine.

What do you think?
I think you drank too much of the "boiii it's china made it's a DANGER ON THE ROAD!!!", which to be honest is just crap.

With their little brothers the CG150 they have done back forth RN40, which is a highway in Argentina. It's a 5000 km one way and another 5000 km going back....
So is more or less the trip you want to do. 99% of them had no trouble at all, as long as you maintain it....

150cc 5000km chinese bike

15000 km Honda Wave,"Oh but it's HONDA!!!" is not, china parts assembled in Argentina. The only Japanese thing is the brand.

With common sense those engine will take you anywhere.
Change oil when it's time, keep the wheels in good shape, clean the air filter and you will be OK.
Vibrations are going to be annoying but oh well, it's OHV....

Honda made the CG to be reliable above all. If people love Honda motorcycles and they are the biggest sellers, it's because of the reliability of the cg of the late 70s...

Old 10-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Shake down ride, and not around the block.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 10-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I think you drank too much of the "boiii it's china made it's a DANGER ON THE ROAD!!!", which to be honest is just crap.
With common sense those engine will take you anywhere.
Change oil when it's time, keep the wheels in good shape, clean the air filter and you will be OK.
Vibrations are going to be annoying but oh well, it's OHV....
Ha! You are probably right - in some ways I am over thinking it.

Thanks for the links to those videos, I will check them out.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post

15000 km Honda Wave,"Oh but it's HONDA!!!" is not, china parts assembled in Argentina. The only Japanese thing is the brand.

That may well be the case...

But the component's and assembly are to Honda standards...
Honda don't suddenly except a lower standard because the bike & parts
are made out side Japan..

Can not be said for all Chinese's made/assembled bikes...

And there lies the diffrents....

5000km is nothing...

the Honda wave is also made in Thailand.... would be interesting to compare the two...
More Honda wave's on the road in Thailand than any other scooter...
Only 43,000 bahts … sounds expensive but is one of the cheaper scooters...…

Even put sidecars on them...use as Taxis / vans / trucks / mobile food stands etc...
us getting around in Khon Kaen ,Thailand in one..
Think this one is a Yamaha Finn 125...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190716_093229.jpg (85.6 KB, 421 views)
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-05-2019, 12:56 AM   #6

Adjust the valves, grease the wheel bearings (pack and no slack), check the spokes. Have the Hawk carbed right with a fresh oil change and everything adjusted good. Have some better tubes/tires than stock......do the 2500 miles and make up your opinion of it will make it on the way back? Locktite every bolt and nut that your life depends on. Change the oil every 1k mile. I think you'd do good.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochin View Post
Adjust the valves, grease the wheel bearings (pack and no slack), check the spokes. Have the Hawk carbed right with a fresh oil change and everything adjusted good. Have some better tubes/tires than stock......do the 2500 miles and make up your opinion of it will make it on the way back? Locktite every bolt and nut that your life depends on. Change the oil every 1k mile. I think you'd do good.
I would add, grease the head stock bearings, go over the wiring harness and secure wires that may rub through and re-route any that may melt near the exhaust.

Tires should be a consideration as well. I don't think I would want to do that many miles on knobbies. Shinko 700 or 705's are awesome at road duty and wear very well. You could also do actual cruiser tires if you have no intent of seing any sort of dirt.

As far as your fear of overheating the motor, look up JerryHawk250's thread on a head and oil temp gauge he installed. I wouldn't worry personally as long as you have the right gearing and a well tuned carb. I would also say ditch the factory chain and put a good quality one on and look into a regear. If your plan is to cruise at around 55mph, a 17/45 or similar combo would be great, or even a 43 rear. This will keep the revs down while staying within the strongest part of the power curve. If you have to contend with any steep grades (mountains) maybe carry a 15 tooth front to swap in if necessary.

I would carry a few spare parts as well. An extra coil, CDI, spark plug and reg/rec at a minimum as well as a spare master link. These are all small cheap parts, and while you may make the full trip without an issue, it would suck to get stranded because one failed. A tube patch kit, a couple of main jets, and a compact tire pump are also a good idea.

Then obviously a small but comprehensive enough tool kit to do roadside repairs.

Just my take on it from my experiences doing long tours and owning a Hawk where I have to travel highways regularly.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

If I were you, I would lean towards one of the Bashan offerings (Bashan Brozz 250, BMS CRP 250, Bashan Storm 250, or CR250 (don't let the copied name fool you--this one looks like an adventure bike and might be your best bet).

One of our members a few years back was planning a South American 'ride and dump' on his Hawk (the plan was a one way trip and simply leaving or selling the Hawk somewhere in Argentina). He lived in Georgia. He prepped the bike for months, posting updates here on what he was doing to improve his Hawk. The big day came, and then he posted he had to alter his plans as his Hawk broke something or another several hundred miles from his start. He rode the Hawk back home, and a couple days later did the trip on his Honda CRF 250L.

Another member bought a fully assembled Hawk in Texas and rode it 700 miles to Albuquerque with no issues (stock sprockets even!). He took back roads, however, which is probably the big difference as the first member was on the interstate to make up time to the border.

Also a few years back, a young woman from Israel on a tourist visa was in Salt Lake City. She bought a Storm, and in spite of her short size, learned to ride it (she was a brand new rider), as well as from here on Chinariders she learned how to change her own oil and adjust her valves. After a few months, she rode it loaded up from SLC to New York City (back roads).

I would love to see a person buy a Hawk and successfully ride it on such a trip as yours, but my gut says to suggest one of the Bashan bikes.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

I believe a Hawk is perfectly capable of a trip like this. One example of a hawk failing doesn't speak for all of the bikes.

That said, the Bashans do come with better quality control, so I don't entirely disagree.

I wouldn't push any of these bikes on an interstate for sustained periods of time. Back roads would be my preferred method of travel since these bikes aren't really designed.or intended to be touring machines.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
That may well be the case...

But the component's and assembly are to Honda standards...
Honda don't suddenly except a lower standard because the bike & parts
are made out side Japan..

Can not be said for all Chinese's made/assembled bikes...

And there lies the diffrents....

5000km is nothing...

the Honda wave is also made in Thailand.... would be interesting to compare the two...
More Honda wave's on the road in Thailand than any other scooter...
Only 43,000 bahts … sounds expensive but is one of the cheaper scooters...…

Even put sidecars on them...use as Taxis / vans / trucks / mobile food stands etc...
us getting around in Khon Kaen ,Thailand in one..
Think this one is a Yamaha Finn 125...

No is not the same quality, you can take one bike made 100% in Japan and a "Japanese" made with chinse parts and assembled somewhere else and is not the same quality.....
First Gen XRE300 made in Brazil, a lot of recalls.
CRF230 made in Brazil, a lot of recalls
Non japanese Honda CR-V, a lot of recalls
Yamaha XTZ 125 made in Argentina, recalls
Yamaha XTZ 250 made in Argentina, recalls
Yamaha MT03 made in Indonesia, recalls

If you like to belive that made in japan is the same as made in china, assembled somewhere else is the same. That's ok...

On the bright side with those "Japanese" motorcycle at least they recall them for free and a have a strong supply chain, so you know that you will find part for them for a long time.....
Which is something that cannot be said about the 100% chinese bike which is "Ok now it belongs to you, get the fu#k out here!" and with parts you need to cross reference them...

Yes 5000 km is not, but he had to back home another 5000 and that bike is still running fine.
Not an uncommon sight to see CG engines with 40000, 50000, 60000 miles and still runnings, which for motorcycle that range from 600 to 1200 usd is something interesting.

About the Wave the price in Thailand is similiar to the one in Argentina, Brazil among other SA countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I believe a Hawk is perfectly capable of a trip like this. One example of a hawk failing doesn't speak for all of the bikes.

That said, the Bashans do come with better quality control, so I don't entirely disagree.

I wouldn't push any of these bikes on an interstate for sustained periods of time. Back roads would be my preferred method of travel since these bikes aren't really designed.or intended to be touring machines.
Like i said once, i think the biggest issue with the hawk is the owner that put it together.
On the other hand my biggest concer about a big trip would be, where i can stop to rest. With the vibrations of non balanced engines, my hands need to rest after 2 hours.

Last edited by Wild Dog; 10-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #11

Add a Coleman seat pad (originally meant for ATV's), aluminum bars, cushy grips and mechanic's glove that are meant for impact wrenches. Those steps will make the vibrations tolerable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #12

Foam grip covers are also an alternative, or just thicker gel grips. The seat pad would be a must for sure. Hawk seats suck for comfort. I can ride for hours on my Honda, and about 1 or 2 on my Hawk.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #13

While looking for a post in riding section, i came across Pete's post which shared this link

https://advrider.com/chinese-adventu...e-you-kidding/

She took this picture, this is what i would call a common sight in Patagonia, Argentina.
"Old F-150 and chinese motorcycle getting a new tire"

Name:  tyrepuncture.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  99.9 KB

Those old and beat up F-150 are mostly equiped with Argentinian Ford V8 Fase 2, an evolution of the Ford 292 ohv V8. The youngest V8 Fase 2 is only 33 years old.... Yet they still keep running and moving those 70´s F-100 and early 80´s F-150.