Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #1

Steering jerks to side at higher speeds

Alright, so i went out for a ride with a buddy of mine and i noticed that anything at or over 3/4 throttle my ATV wants to steer to the left, even on flat ground. Kind of like "Speed Wobble" does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to fix it?

My steering seems straight and my tires are aswell. I was debating on putting on 2" wheel spacers front and back to level the atv out more, also my front tires are the same size as the rear causing the front end to point down. Not too sure if this is my problem or not but i thought i would see who else this may be or have been happening to and how to fix it. Thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Place the front of the frame on a jack stand and then remove the shocks. With the wheels pointed straight ahead, cycle each one up and down completely by holding the wheel and lifting; do the wheels remain pointed straight ahead, or do they try to turn as you articulate the suspension?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-31-2017, 03:07 AM   #3

draging brake on the left...
spline striped on the left rear hub..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

I'm with Weld. Most likely bump steer. Are your inner tie rods flipped to the topside of the mount? That helps.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #5

Sorry for the late reply guys, had alot to do. But i think i figured it out, there was no play after doing what weldandgrind suggested but i did happen to find out that the left tire was pushed out more by the tie rod. I adjusted it to bring it in a bit more. it is a little better now but i still get the occasional jerk to the left, even if i attempt to coast with no hands for a few moments the whole bike instantly starts turning left. I dident have much time to mess around but im going to go throuth the whole front end tomorrow and see what i come up with.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

There was no play in the front end of one of my quads, either. Bumpsteer is a phenomena that can occur if the tie rods are travelling through a different arc than the control arms. As 2LZ says, perhaps one end of your tie rods is upside down. I have a thread on this topic, and I'll post the link when I find it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

Here it is: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105

Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

Well i took the time today to go through my complete front end while i was installing my new tires (24's front and back) that will go in my mods thread, but i actually came to find that the one end of the tie rod closest to the left tire was very warn. Not sure how i missed it the first time but i swapped it out with a donor and it fixed the problem, even with the handlebars straight and on a jack i could move the tire in and out. The first time i did this it was dark and i was in a bit of a hurry so i hardly noticed since the play in the tie rod end is very minimal.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Glad to hear you solved it.