Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

ZSTAR 250C starting issues, like batery is dead but is 12V

Here is the problem: New battery or old does not matter. I charge battery fully, it will start the ATV 3-4 times, it shows full 12volts too. When started it shows about 14 volts, when battery disconnected and testing voltage off of the leads from running motor it shows generator is pushing about 13-15 volts just fine. Start it more than say 4 times and all I get is the clicking of the solenoid saying not enough charge BUT I check voltage on battery and it will read 12 volts????
I changed the solenoid, same results. I made another battery holder and hooked up second battery in parralle so more cranking amps, I can start it about 6-7 times now.
If it was me driving it that would be fine I can run a clutch and never stall my atv BUT it is my 13 year old son's atv. I am about to tear out my hair this electrical issue is driving me nuts.
It sucks to have to have jumper cables when we go riding and to have to keep yanking the seats to jump his atv started.

HELP PLEASE!!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

BATTERY

You can have 12 volts with 8 AAA batterys ... but you need some amps... did you ever get your battery checked at a battery shop???? they will tell you if it is good.... even BRAND NEW ones are sometimes .. no good... load test the battery... and then see what happens.. your cables or starter may be drawing too much.... .. but I would say... if it will not start after awhile... as you say... how come you can come & boost it.. must be battery problems..

Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

Probably wouldn't go too far wrong checking your chassis grounds too.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Probably wouldn't go too far wrong checking your chassis grounds too.
Do this first. I've seen a dozen wiring harnesses burned up because of loose chassis grounds. I now run three of them on each of my quads.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

Re: ZSTAR 250C starting issues, like batery is dead but is 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCKSR
I am about to tear out my hair this electrical issue is driving me nuts.
Hair is a precious commodity. Let's hope we can help you.

X3 on the grounds. There likely isn't a sufficient ground path to begin with, and the bolt that is used is probably really poor. If it's a cheaply plated bolt, you're relying upon the plating to complete the circuit. If it's a mild steel bolt with no plating, you're faced with a rusty bolt.

To me, the only answer is a good size ground wire to the frame, with quality ring terminals and stainless bolts. Have a good look at how the solenoid is grounded as well. Does it ground via the solenoid case, or does it use a green wire? If it grounds via the case, make sure that the metal behind it is clean.

Above all of this, your battery might not have the capacity it needs. Thankfully, new batteries are cheap at Walmart.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #6

thank you all for your suggestions I will check all the grounding and improve it.
If this does not work is there someone that makes an ATV battery with more stock amperage than everyone else??

I have an Interstate one and a no name one in there now.

(Remember I added another battery )

Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #7

I've heard (several times) that the Walmart battery is actually made by Johnson Controls, and they're excellent. BTW, the Costco batteries are also JC. I'd buy one from either source.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer