Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Starting hesitation....

Just curious really..since everyone on this forum is way smarter than me I thought I'd ask. Lately when I've been going to start my bike, I'll push starter button and it'll start on first turn of starter motor and crank up to 3k and then immediately die. Then I'll push start button again and after about 3-5 seconds of cranking and a couple blips of the throttle, it'll start fine and run fine. Temps are 30-50 degrees in my garage at any given time, and I've been riding it every week or so even for quick spins around the block but definitely not as often as I was in warmer temps. 600 miles on the odo. Anyone else have this issue and most importantly is there any reason to worry or an explanation of why this is happening? If I dont blip the throttle it takes longer to start. I did have this happen to me after riding 1 mile from house to gas station and then started it at gas station and it took about 5 seconds again to restart. One other time after being ridden 100 miles or so and sitting there idling it just died for no reason and then started back up with same 3-5 second delay. Hoping its not something to worry about or something that could get worse. Any help/insights/info/experiences appreciated.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

Are you applying choke? At those temps choke is needed until the engine warms up.

/

Old 01-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Are you applying choke? At those temps choke is needed until the engine warms up.

/
no choke on the RX-3. Fuel injected.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Proper procedure for starting a fuel injected engine:
Do not turn/touch the throttle.
Press the starter button.
When the engine is running, released the starter button.
If the engine is running at higher speed than normal idle allow it to run and warm up until the idle drops to normal before turning the throttle.
The owner's manual says to allow it to idle 1 or 2 minutes before driving.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
Proper procedure for starting a fuel injected engine:
Do not turn/touch the throttle.
Press the starter button.
When the engine is running, released the starter button.
If the engine is running at higher speed than normal idle allow it to run and warm up until the idle drops to normal before turning the throttle.
The owner's manual says to allow it to idle 1 or 2 minutes before driving.
I have other fuel injection bikes as well and follow this exact procedure
on the RX-3, but am still having these aforementioned issues. Thanks though. Doesnt look like anyone else has had anything similar yet

Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #6

When did you last check your valves? They could be out of adjustment and cause the problems that you are experiencing.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 01-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #7

Check the connection from the air box to the throttle body and from the throttle body to the intake port on the head. An air leak at either place could cause a lean condition and the computer might be having trouble compensating.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 01-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #8

Are you getting any diagnostic trouble codes flashing on the engine warning light? If so, the codes can help you to diagnose the problem.

Also, check the battery voltage. A bad battery can certainly difficulties in starting the engine. Finally, I suggest you follow George's advice, and check the valve lash. Tight valve clearances can also cause the problem you are experiencing.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

hmmm valves...that is not something I was wanting to hear. No trouble codes at all. And battery is good still measuring above 13 at all conditions. But I'll go through the suggestions and cross my fingers its nothing to do with a valve adjustment. Thanks for the tips Dan Spud and George.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #10

Hi
I have the same problem. Over couple months now.
When trying to start over couple hours of no touching my bike.
It's starting from first shot then days after 1 seconds.
- battery has been changed for new
- spark plug has been changed for new
- several times I have checked cable connections
- clean Mat/ Map sensor
Nathing helped
- still wants to check fuel pump

Over the time I have found that if I jump start with another battery its start 1 time with not problem, or if I had makes the pump running for few times its start ok

Waiting now for the answer from my diler for testing the pump.

I will write here when I find out.

Or maybe someone knows the problem already?

I living in London Uk now it's pretty cold here, but I have test the bike in all temperature from -2 ~ + 25 and its all the same.
Same times it's start ok.
I think the problem is between the battery and fuel pump,
The Battery when it is strong (2 battery's or after changing) pump is working so fast and build up pressure pretty well then the bike start ok.
Or the other time when I make pump to work more than one time it's build up pressure so good so well start ok.
My question is there any pressure switch for the fuel pump ?

Last edited by artur94; 02-09-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur94 View Post
Hi
I have the same problem. Over couple months now.
When trying to start over couple hours of no touching my bike.
It's starting from first shot then days after 1 seconds.
- battery has been changed for new
- spark plug has been changed for new
- several times I have checked cable connections
- clean Mat/ Map sensor
Nathing helped
- still wants to check fuel pump

Over the time I have found that if I jump start with another battery its start 1 time with not problem, or if I had makes the pump running for few times its start ok

Waiting now for the answer from my diler for testing the pump.

I will write here when I find out.

Or maybe someone knows the problem already?

I living in London Uk now it's pretty cold here, but I have test the bike in all temperature from -2 ~ + 25 and its all the same.
Same times it's start ok.
I think the problem is between the battery and fuel pump,
The Battery when it is strong (2 battery's or after changing) pump is working so fast and build up pressure pretty well then the bike start ok.
Or the other time when I make pump to work more than one time it's build up pressure so good so well start ok.
My question is there any pressure switch for the fuel pump ?
Hi Artur, have you checked for Insufficient Fuel Supply as posted here?
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....84&postcount=4

Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #12

Hi Jay

No I didn't check that yet.
The pomp are working, but don't know what pressure is building up.
I have asked them to check that, because I don't have suitable meter.
I have no pulled out the fuel injector because I know it's working, same time it starts from first shot, so I won't see.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

Hi
I have fixed the problem, I think :-)
It is now warmer around +8'C
On last Friday I have decided to do valves adjustment.

- I have noticed when disconnected the spark coil, in the plug who's a water.
- I have changed the ignition key switch, my one who's damage due to, some one trying too still my bike, water maybe enter the switch - have missing the top SS key hole plate.
- I have adjusted valves, they who's: exhaust 0.09 I have set to 0.07
Intake 0.11 stet to 0.05

And now for 3 days no problem. I don't know what well happen when temperatures drop to - 0'C, but I check that next year;-)

Don't know which one of those, cases solve that problem, but the difference is big.

I have checked the fuel pump, the pressure I have read, it who's 34 Psi whilst stop pumping, at engine off.

Last edited by artur94; 03-14-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur94 View Post
Hi
I have fixed the problem, I think :-)
It is now warmer around +8'C
On last Friday I have decided to do valves adjustment.

- I have noticed when disconnected the spark coil, in the plug who's a water.
- I have changed the ignition key switch, my one who's damage due to, some one trying too still my bike, water maybe enter the switch - have missing the top SS key hole plate.
- I have adjusted valves, they who's: exhaust 0.09 I have set to 0.07
Intake 0.11 stet to 0.05

And now for 3 days no problem. I don't know what well happen when temperatures drop to - 0'C, but I check that next year;-)

Don't know which one of those, cases solve that problem, but the difference is big.

I have checked the fuel pump, the pressure I have read, it who's 34 Psi whilst stop pumping, at engine off.

Thanks for update artur! Your timing couldnt be better. I am doing my valve adjustment on friday. I was waiting until I got a new battery and so now will attempt the valves. any tips at all on the valve adjustment? Glad to hear your issues have been fixed by valve adjustment.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #15

"Any tips on valve adjustment"
1) take your time ,
2) patience,
3) unbolt the rectifier LH side and let it hang there by it's wires. gives hands less things to get gouged on.

4) Unbolt LH radiator an move it out of the way to let you get at the front exh valves. Doesn't move very much with all the hoses still connected but enough to get the job done.
5) On mine the worst bolt to get to is behind the top LH radiator hose. I have to use a short wrench to get at it from above because it is hidden behind the radiator hose and you can't get a straight shot at it with a socket and ratchet. I vowed this time around I would fix that nuisance problem and so I just threaded the bolt in from the opposite side where there is room for my hand to get in.
6) Go buy a bolt that is longer so you can thread it in from the inside and put a washer and nut on the radiator side. rj