Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-McMullan View Post
Could it be that America is finally ready for a Chinese 2 wheel invasion? If it is then a lot of the credit has to go to Joe Berk and the way he has introduced the Zongshens.

Best I start wrapping up a Tekken ready to send to the States (by the way I'm taking it to the UK next January).
not unless they start getting us bigger motors. the 250 glass ceiling doesn't fly well here in the states. I know personally I'd like my hawk to sport at least a true 300, if not 400 or 450 to better handle faster speeds used to get to the fun places to ride. we mostly use these bikes for fun, not utility or economy.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
not unless they start getting us bigger motors. the 250 glass ceiling doesn't fly well here in the states. I know personally I'd like my hawk to sport at least a true 300, if not 400 or 450 to better handle faster speeds used to get to the fun places to ride. we mostly use these bikes for fun, not utility or economy.
I agree, Sport Rider.

In the US, 250 cc bikes will be only a small segment of the market.

jb

Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #18

Not sure I agree with the idea that 250 are a limited market. If that were the case Honda yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki would not be offering their 250s. Don't forget the U.S. has a huge appetite for consumer goods. We tend to have a lot of discretionary income... relatively speaking.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-McMullan View Post
Could it be that America is finally ready for a Chinese 2 wheel invasion? If it is then a lot of the credit has to go to Joe Berk and the way he has introduced the Zongshens.
Joe deserves a lot of credit, but there have been a few players over the years. The big one as of recently has to be RPS and Adam Renkleff and the Hawk 250. While low-priced bikes in a box have been around for several years, for some reason, a bike that cannot even be registered in some states, has caught on like wildfire, and the momentum has kept going. This, in spite of the fact that the Hawk literally needs a new carb and jets right out of the gate, and seems to need some trial and error to get running properly, not to mention new sprockets.

Second has been the Bashan bikes and discount online retailers (credit to an unknown person for the Bashan bikes). These bikes seem much better out of the box, and cost a little more than the Hawks. The Bashan Storm has been a solid bike for many members, including one that a member rode from Utah to New York City back in the spring. It was a young woman riding solo, no less!

Then along comes Joe and the RX3, and then the TT250. Some of us question the premium of the TT250 over a (virtual identical) Hawk or Bashan, but that is part of the CSC business model, and is working very well for them, thank you. They do get the bike running and shipped in a literal suspended animated state, so all one has to do is uncrate it and start it up and ride! Some here have mentioned they prefer to put their own bike together, but again, the CSC business model is set in place and one either picks up their bike from CSC in person (as one would at most any bike dealer), or they ship them ready to ride anywhere in the US.

The closest competitor at this time, American Lifan, has plans in place to become a player, but they are going to try, once again, to set up a physical dealer network, with their flagship bikes being the full-fairing KPR200 and the street-fighter-ish KP200--200cc, liquid-cooled, fuel-injection. But only 200cc...

I could see the Tekken bringing another breath of fresh air (following the RX3) to the US, in spite of the limited engine size some were not happy with as mentioned above. The big deal for the US--price. There will be people buying lower priced bikes with small engines, and as competition being good for brands, I can see an air-cooled Tekken with all the 'adventure' cases going against the RX3 for market share--provided the Tekken is priced lower accordingly (unless you have plans to find a liquid-cooled, EFI engine for it). Heck, I like the Fuego DAX replicas and the Grom replica; you could start with those...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Joe deserves a lot of credit, but there have been a few players over the years. The big one as of recently has to be RPS and Adam Renkleff and the Hawk 250. While low-priced bikes in a box have been around for several years, for some reason, a bike that cannot even be registered in some states, has caught on like wildfire, and the momentum has kept going. This, in spite of the fact that the Hawk literally needs a new carb and jets right out of the gate, and seems to need some trial and error to get running properly, not to mention new sprockets.

Second has been the Bashan bikes and discount online retailers (credit to an unknown person for the Bashan bikes). These bikes seem much better out of the box, and cost a little more than the Hawks. The Bashan Storm has been a solid bike for many members, including one that a member rode from Utah to New York City back in the spring. It was a young woman riding solo, no less!

Then along comes Joe and the RX3, and then the TT250. Some of us question the premium of the TT250 over a (virtual identical) Hawk or Bashan, but that is part of the CSC business model, and is working very well for them, thank you. They do get the bike running and shipped in a literal suspended animated state, so all one has to do is uncrate it and start it up and ride! Some here have mentioned they prefer to put their own bike together, but again, the CSC business model is set in place and one either picks up their bike from CSC in person (as one would at most any bike dealer), or they ship them ready to ride anywhere in the US.

The closest competitor at this time, American Lifan, has plans in place to become a player, but they are going to try, once again, to set up a physical dealer network, with their flagship bikes being the full-fairing KPR200 and the street-fighter-ish KP200--200cc, liquid-cooled, fuel-injection. But only 200cc...

I could see the Tekken bringing another breath of fresh air (following the RX3) to the US, in spite of the limited engine size some were not happy with as mentioned above. The big deal for the US--price. There will be people buying lower priced bikes with small engines, and as competition being good for brands, I can see an air-cooled Tekken with all the 'adventure' cases going against the RX3 for market share--provided the Tekken is priced lower accordingly (unless you have plans to find a liquid-cooled, EFI engine for it). Heck, I like the Fuego DAX replicas and the Grom replica; you could start with those...
I disagree with a lot of what you just posted

Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Not sure I agree with the idea that 250 are a limited market. If that were the case Honda yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki would not be offering their 250s. Don't forget the U.S. has a huge appetite for consumer goods. We tend to have a lot of discretionary income... relatively speaking.
Agree And it shows you it's not all about a low price or they would be out of business.
Quality, Service and Support, just gas and ride!

Old 11-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
if you are looking at off-road, then yes, I agree with you. my paradigm is from a dual sport perspective, being able to ride to a location 2 hours or so away and then enjoy the backroads. getting there would require some speeds up to 65 or 70. the RX3 may handle this better, but the hawk is just not built for it. not enough useful power. my mind pictures something along the lines of a KLR, but in a slightly lighter duty package. all of this using basic technology, no frills, and a price tag that makes it more viable to average guys as a second or third bike.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #23

English Man In China

Wow! Chinariders, English Man In China (David McMullan) now a member. If you don't know him, he is one of the most respected people in the motorcycle industry here in China for us English speaking people. He understands the business better then anyone.

Chinariders, if you are thinking about importing motorcycles or motorcycle parts by the container load, he is the go to consultant/adviser you want. Plus read his past magazine articles, they give you excellent information.

The Fuego Scrambler looks like a fun ride. Maybe with a 6 speed Loncin RE250 Engine.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy. View Post
I disagree with a lot of what you just posted
Do you think I am wrong or you just disagree?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard