Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Hawk tank leaking...

Hey everyone, I came out to my bike today to see gas all over the floor. I checked the standard stuff and couldnt figure out what was going on. I pulled off the seat and it seems there is a crack on the seam of the tank, right were its welded together by the mount.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Might be the final straw for the hawk... cant trust it...

Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Maybe Weldangrind would have the best answer. I say take the tank off, fill with water and weld it.

"mq1991... Might be the final straw for the hawk... cant trust it... " Duh... I hope you didn't think a $1400.00 China bike was going to be top of the line like from USA, Japan, Europe and now India. They don't even know what a service manual is and that is only one part of many problems from bikes being built and shipped from China.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitze View Post
I say take the tank off, fill with water and weld it...
Filled with water is 1 the worst step http://www.dansmc.com/gastank.htm
Oil floats on water. Gas had a really LOW flash point... Some tips: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...k-safely.6056/

Old 06-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitze View Post
Maybe Weldangrind would have the best answer. I say take the tank off, fill with water and weld it.

"mq1991... Might be the final straw for the hawk... cant trust it... " Duh... I hope you didn't think a $1400.00 China bike was going to be top of the line like from USA, Japan, Europe and now India. They don't even know what a service manual is and that is only one part of many problems from bikes being built and shipped from China.
I know... but there is a line. I wouldnt expect a gas tank to start leaking from the seams.

I am totally on board with replacing things like chains, tinkering with it, and stuff. Its just scary to think that it couldve left me stranded somewhere because of the gas tank, or rear sprocket bolts, etc.

Ill give it one more strand worthy breakdown, after that ill just move on.

Its a shame, I really like the bike.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Good info again humanbeing

Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Hey everyone, I came out to my bike today to see gas all over the floor. I checked the standard stuff and couldnt figure out what was going on. I pulled off the seat and it seems there is a crack on the seam of the tank, right were its welded together by the mount.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Mine actually did the same thing from same spot. Started a few months back. I had several attempts in fixing it without actually welding it. My last "fix" seems to be working so far. My crack went from about an inch long to about 3 inches. I removed and drained the tank then dremeled the area clean down to bare metal. Wipe off residual dust with brake cleaner on rag. I did try JB weld but that didnt last as the gas eventually made it come off the tank. But this last attempt I used quick steel epoxy playdo stuff and seems to be holding up this far. I also had another leak at the outlet nipple where it comes out of the tank. Bad welding. Did the same thing there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
I know... but there is a line. I wouldnt expect a gas tank to start leaking from the seams.

I am totally on board with replacing things like chains, tinkering with it, and stuff. Its just scary to think that it couldve left me stranded somewhere because of the gas tank, or rear sprocket bolts, etc.
Ill give it one more strand worthy breakdown, after that ill just move on.
Its a shame, I really like the bike.
mq1991 I agree, it is a shame and I don't see any change coming from RPS. They are a company that doesn't know what they want to be when they grow up. RPS needs to be put up for sale or at best remove the owner and top management and get a BUSINESS PLAN!

Getting Hensim/Haosen or any fab shop or manufacturing company in China to change is like pulling a tooth from a tiger, they think you are disrespectful when you ask for improvement or change. And DON'T use the the word "shame" at a business meeting, they will get very mad and walk out on you and not talk to you for days. Found that out the hard way years back and the change I wanted on the parts to be fabricated was delayed for about 2 months My last business trip to China was last monthnow that I have sold my business.

Don't get me wrong, China is a fantastic place and I would recommend it as a travel destination to anyone. That's the good side of China, the people, food and such. The other side of China "Business" it totally sucks. Some days it felt like having your teeth pulled out with NO anesthesia.

I am putting my money on CSC. Maybe, finally, someone will show the powersports business people from China living in the USA how to sell, service and support bikes manufactured and shipped from China. Go CSC

Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

I used Permatex Cold Weld to repair a metal gas tank, and it worked well. The difference between it and JB is Cold Weld actually states that it will resist gasoline.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Do you have an appetite for replacing your tank with plastic? If so, my guess is that a post-'86 Honda XR200 tank would take the least amount of fab work to install. If the seat doesn't mate properly with it, an XR200 seat would solve that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I have had good luck with Seal-All in the past, so i put some on and it seems good so far.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

I was going to suggest seal all as well ,it will work ,but it may have to be reapplied down the road .Anybody contact the seller and see if they might help ?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #12

I've been through this with a buddy's HD after market tank on his Sporty. It started along the rear mount at the tank. We tried everything, even had the area reinforced and welded at a shop. It still leaked after a short while. The cause was the mount wasn't lined up exactly right where the bolt when through the frame and the solid mounted Sporty motor would make it crack due to vibration.
A new tank fixed the problem.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
I was going to suggest seal all as well ,it will work ,but it may have to be reapplied down the road .Anybody contact the seller and see if they might help ?
I had the worst experience trying to just get my headlight replaced, to the point that paypal refunded me a chunk of money.

If the seal all fails, ill try welding it.

I put a patch on my buddys old bike, and its still good 2 years later of summer riding. So far i like it!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I've been through this with a buddy's HD after market tank on his Sporty. It started along the rear mount at the tank. We tried everything, even had the area reinforced and welded at a shop. It still leaked after a short while. The cause was the mount wasn't lined up exactly right where the bolt when through the frame and the solid mounted Sporty motor would make it crack due to vibration.
A new tank fixed the problem.
Ill loosen the tank mount bolt and see if i can make it fit better. Hopefully welding it will be a permanent fix.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

My gas tank started leaking last week, very minor, but grew fast. I took tank off, and saw that the weld under the tank which holds the outlet on, had worked loose. I paid $7 at AutoZone for the tank repair putty, and that so far is holding good. absolutely no leakage. I submitted a warranty clam for a new tank though. No this isnt a top of the line enduro. It is an economy one. needs some TLC, but no reason to throw in the towel on them