Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Japan vs China

I've been out of the DS scene for a while. But want to get back into riding dirt roads.

So, I found a Honda NX-250 (liquid-cool thumper) made in 1988 with low miles.
It runs but need carb cleaning, and a lot of cleaning up (bearings, brakes, etc)
So, it probably means a lot of elbow grease to make it running reliably again.
I plan to ride in the remote wilderness-->so reliablility is 100% important.

Question is about reliability: Is it better to buy a $1500 brand new China dualsport (like TMEC)?

Or is it better to buy a $1000 used Japan bike and spend a couple hundred bucks to restore it?

I know Honda is the cats-meow. But when I look at a used bike, I usually don't feel good thinking what sort of hidden problems are there.

Last edited by Dragon; 10-15-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

I'm not sure which move is better, but I'd stick with the NX250, just for the unique character; you don't see many of them around. I think that a fair amount is shared with the XR250R, so you could mold it into whatever you wish.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

The NX250 is a good reliable bike. Main drawback for me would be the 16"-19" wheel size. A new Chinese bike probably won't have the fit and finish of a Honda but most of them are simple, reliable work horses. I ride my Chinese bikes and quad in remote locations very often and have never been stranded. The only thing that ever stopped me is a CDI failure on my Lifan 140 powered trail 90, but 5 minutes later I was on my way after plugging in the spare CDI I always carry.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

I'm worry about not being able to find parts for the NX Honda.
I'm sure they stop making parts long ago.

Seems like parts for CB would be easier to find.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

I have a NX250 Parts bike.....not sure what all is still good on it, definitely no body panels...but if you get it and need something, hit me up, I might have it.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 10-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I'm worry about not being able to find parts for the NX Honda...
Parts are NO worry ... [engine] Chinese still making exact NX (AX-1) clone | [others] Weak yen = worth to find in Japanese site ...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #7

I'm kind of in a similiar situation. I can get a brand new 250 (actually a 229cc) Hawk delivered to me near Hilo Hawaii for $1499, which is a very good price considering where I live! I could buy a used Japanese bike for $3500-$4200. But, I don't need a lot of speed. 50-55 mph would do. I also don't mind a pushrod engine. I appreciate something that is easy to work on.

You should go through the threads here on the Hawk, the 250 and 200 Storm, the TMEC, and maybe the 200 and 250 Will's. You'll find that most consider the gearing too low, so plan on replacing the front and/or the rear sprockets. The good thing is, except for the TMEC, which uses some pretty obscure rear sprocket (but it IS available through JT Sprockets), the sprockets are easy to get through Amazon and Ebay. On some of the bikes, you may have to do some rejetting in the carbs. Some of the bikes are running quite lean. But, the carbureted Japanese bikes have also been that way since the 1980's. Some owners that have the Kehin clone carburetor are replacing them with a Mikuni clone (about $40), mostly because jets are easy to find even locally for them, whereas the Kehin clone units would probably have to be ordered.

Some of the bike engines have an extra counterbalancer (the Storm and Will models). Though all engines are counterbalanced by the crankshaft weights, these models have an added counterbalancer. I have heard the counterbalanced engines, then have to use a short chain to drive the oil pumps. The noncounterbalanced bikes (the Hawk and TMEC??) have gear driven oil pumps, which means these bikes have no chains in the engines, as they are pushrod models.

I think I am going to order a new Hawk after my birthday weekend coming up at the end of the month.

So, look through the threads going in about 3-4 pages in the dual sport section. Maybe take some notes like I did. The company I would order Hawk from want $299 shipping, whereas some others want $500 all the way up to $700-$800!

You can find what jets owners used on the different models (of course temperature and elevation differences rule), also plenty of gearing info. Some models seem to do okay with going to a 17 tooth front sprocket only, and no lengthening of chain needed. Others replaced both sprockets and had to add some links, or go to another longer chain. I think the 250 Storms, for 2015, went to a 17/45 sprocket set, which is probably good as is.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #8

This guy is offering specific shipping to Hawaii now.

http://www.apscusa.com/Hawaii-Shipme...ery_p_531.html

/

Old 10-16-2015, 01:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post

/
That's the place! And only $299.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
That website now says "free shipping" for the price of $1,499.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I've been out of the DS scene for a while. But want to get back into riding dirt roads.

So, I found a Honda NX-250 (liquid-cool thumper) made in 1988 with low miles.
It runs but need carb cleaning, and a lot of cleaning up (bearings, brakes, etc)
So, it probably means a lot of elbow grease to make it running reliably again.
I plan to ride in the remote wilderness-->so reliablility is 100% important.

Question is about reliability: Is it better to buy a $1500 brand new China dualsport (like TMEC)?

Or is it better to buy a $1000 used Japan bike and spend a couple hundred bucks to restore it?

I know Honda is the cats-meow. But when I look at a used bike, I usually don't feel good thinking what sort of hidden problems are there.
As far as reliability is concerned, I think a new Chinese motorcycle will be more reliable. Until you own it, you can't know for sure what might currently be wrong with a used bike. Also, you can't know what will soon fail next with a 25-year-old motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm not sure which move is better, but I'd stick with the NX250, just for the unique character; you don't see many of them around. I think that a fair amount is shared with the XR250R, so you could mold it into whatever you wish.
Not just unique, but also the NX makes ludicrus amount of power for a 270-pound weight!

The Zong RX3 is pretty close competitor, but is 50 pounds heavier.

Bike HorsePower Torque
------------------------------
Yamaha XT250 17.5 13.7
Honda CRF250L 20.0 14.2
Zohgzehn RX 3i 26.0 16.6
Honda NX250 26.0 17.4

Old 10-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That website now says "free shipping" for the price of $1,499.

Being you are in Hawaii and as you have found out your options are very limited. You know the HAWK is a decent bike. And this is a darn good price at $1,499.00 with Hawaii shipping included. I would hit the buy it now button before this weekend is over.

/