Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

vs CRF L

Has anyone rode the RX3 and the CRF 250L back to back and able to tell me how they compare in power and suspension for fast gravel/dirt road type of riding?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

I haven't rode the RX3. But I have found the CFR250L more than happy to do everything I have asked it There a 5 miles stretch of trail made beside railroad track the incorporates the large rocks on the sides of the tracks. My CFR handled these well and the suspension just absorbed the rocks.

I'm sure the RX3 is a great bike but that's Spud's department but I'm sure he know all about the CFR as well.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Problem is Honda hiked the price to $5400. And then you have to buy luggage racks and super size gas tank. It will add up quick to over $6000 territory.

Whereas the RX3 is about $4000 ready-to-go.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Safe to say the Honda is a better off road bike with less weight a better suspension,21" wheel ect.Horsepower is about the same.
The RX3 has mild off road capability and is a turn key adventure/touring bike.
One slanted toward the road and one slanted toward the off-road.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #5

I agree with Inroads.

The Honda CRF250L is a great little motorcycle. As a dual sport bike, it will certainly perform better off road than the Zongshen RX3.

The Zongshen RX3 is an adventure bike. It handles fast gravel/dirt roads very well, and is excellent on pavement. The RX3 will be more pleasant to ride for long distances on pavement and fast gravel/dirt roads. In addition, it comes with an amazing array of stock equipment for a low price, which makes it an excellent value.

Both motorcycles are very nice, but each has a different mission. One should choose between these two motorcycles based upon the type of riding he plans to undertake.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

What about power?

Which one feels more powerful romping around back roads?

Also, can the RX3 work without the luggage racks? I read the metal racks weight 50-pounds.
Since I can probably just bungee my sport bag to the seat most of the time, I don't need racks.
On occasionally long trips, I can put the racks back on.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Also, can the RX3 work without the luggage racks? I read the metal racks weight 50-pounds.
The side racks are easily removable. So are the engine bars and top box mount. You can also remove the cast pillion grab handles. Altogether, that's an easy 50 lbs to drop.

I saved 5 more lbs by replacing the stock battery with a lithium iron. And over the winter, I plan to rebuild the steel wheels with aluminum rims.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #8

I'm all for saving weight, but I still don't trust lithium batteries. Had buddies with bad experiences (fire).

Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

I haven't heard that, so I'll have to look into it. So far, it's been great for a year. Over 6 months in the Vstrom and 4 in the RX3.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
...Also, can the RX3 work without the luggage racks? I read the metal racks weight 50-pounds.
Since I can probably just bungee my sport bag to the seat most of the time, I don't need racks.
On occasionally long trips, I can put the racks back on.
Who told you the racks weight 50 pounds?!

As Detours stated, you can easily remove the racks, and configure the bike any way you want. When it's time to go traveling, the racks are easily installed.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm all for saving weight, but I still don't trust lithium batteries. Had buddies with bad experiences (fire).
The lithium batteries used in motorcycles and automobiles are lithium/iron/phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries. These batteries are much less volatile than the lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries used in radio controlled vehicles. LiPo batteries are made from a lithium/cobalt material which is very volatile, and will burst into flames when exposed to oxygen.

As long as you install a LiFePO4 battery manufactured for motorcycles, you won't have any problems. I installed a Shorai LiFePO4 battery in my Honda XR650L five years ago, and it has functioned perfectly for about 40,000 miles.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #12

I came to ask the exact same question, haha. I'm sure someone has rode both and can compare. Specs wise the engine in the CRF250L seems much better, but they seem to have similar power numbers (despite DOHC vs SOHC) and I have heard of a number of problems with the CRF engine, especially lots of cam chain tensioner failures.

As for chasis, I have heard plenty of sub frame failures of the CRF, and LOTS of complaints that the suspension is "crap", The bike does feel rather budget as I have been able to sit on one. I've not seen an RX-3 yet, much less get to sit on one (anyone around the northern part of Western NC? hehe).

I'm in the same debate as you Dragon, on which. The RX-3 seems way ahead though. From what I gather, there are a few things you have to do "right away" in order to be able to ride it much. These are based on research, talking to a few owners, and too much time sitting and playing with it at a dealer.
1) Seat - its a dirt bike seat, this may be a personal thing, but the stock seat is HARD, I got sore sitting on it at the dealer, haha.
2) Gas tank - I've read of high-ish altitude off road (not hard running) getting 75-100 miles on a tank, and that is not-running empty. Also headwind 60mph just at 100 or less miles to a single tank.
3) tires - apparently very bad on the street AND dirt.

I do also worry about putting luggage on as the subframe seems to be a matter of when and not if.

I've not heard of any real problems with the RX3 other then clutch failures from riding it (I think I'll get a 13tooth right off the bat as all the local stuff is very rocky and being an off road rookie I will be slow).

Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #13

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I think the Honda CRF250L and Zongshen RX3 are both good motorcycles. A potential owner should choose one,or the other, based upon the type of riding he will do. If you have an emphasis on off road capability, I would definitely choose the Honda CRF250L. If you have an emphasis on street and adventure riding, I would definitely choose the Zongshen RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

I haven't ridden the CRF250L but here's a chart I put together comparing some RX3 specs to the CRF and other light dual sports.

Code:
			CRF250L	WR250R	AJP PR5	RX3	RX3 (naked)
Seat Height (in)	34.7	36.6	37.0	31.3	31.3
Curb Weight (lbs)	320	295	275	386	346
Displacement (cc)	250	250	249	250	250
Fuel Economy (mpg)	73	71	40	70	70
Fuel Capacity (US gal)	2.0	2.0	2.0	4.2	4.2
Range (miles)		146	142	80	294	294
HP			19.0	24.1	27.0	24.8	24.8
Torque (ft-lb)		13.6	14.9	17.0	16.6	16.6
Power to Wt (HP/lb)	0.06	0.08	0.10	0.06	0.07
Torque to Wt (tq/lb)	0.04	0.05	0.06	0.04	0.05
Wheelbase (in)		56.9	55.9	56.7	55.1	55.1
Ground Clearance (in)	10.0	11.8	12.0	8.3	8.3
Front Wheel (in)	21	21	21	18	18
Rear Wheel (in)		18	18	18	17	17
Front Travel (in)	8.7	10.6	11.0	5.1	5.1
Rear Travel (in)	9.4	10.6	11.8	5.6	5.6
MSRP (US $)		$4999	$6690	$5995	$3495	$3495
Notes:
  • The AJP PR5 uses a retuned version of the RX3's engine.
  • The RX3 naked column estimates 40 lbs savings after removing boxes and bars. Could be 60+ lbs with grab handle removal, LiFe battery and alloy wheel upgrade.
  • A 13T sprocket change on the RX3 makes its power delivery much more competitive.
  • The RX3 has limited suspension travel but a lower seat.

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #15

I considered the Honda CRF250L and the CRF125L, the Yamaha XT250 and the RX3. I felt the Honda 250 just too tall for me, the Yamaha is ok in height but the fuel tank is small , same with the Honda.

I wanted a Dual Sport bike, not a Dirt Bike and defiantly not a Sport/Street Bike.

I like the features of the RX3, the tanks size, the crash bars and luggage cases being standard were big feature for me. I would have had to design and have hard bags made for the other bikes, they are a necessity for me and the non-profit work I do, I travel into the back country and deliver vitamins to the very poor prior to them having free cleft surgery; I typically carry 20/30 kilo's in the custom hard bags on my Yamaha YBR125G. I have to park and leave my bike many times on the side of the road or trail and hike to see a child and this, many times in the pouring rain; lockable hard bags are a necessity to me.

My YBR125 just doesn't have the power (rated 10 HP but that's not at the wheel) and I burnout three clutch sets a year just from the excessively steep hills.

I plan to order that new HD clutch set from CSC, maybe today. I read the story of the fellow in Colorado burning his clutch and the push pull trip home; I've done that with the YBR and can't imagine pushing the RX3 up some of the hills; I need to go back to see the kids up on the mountain but hesitate with the YBR, it's steep and some of the toughest trail riding I've ever done (may be the toughest).

I designed a crash bar for the YBR because sometimes I fall over (have many times in the past, very good at it), this OEM feature on the RX3 was a benefit.

I am putting together an order from Taobao (thanks SpudRider for the info) for a bunch of basic replacement parts and that 13 tooth sprocket. I need to have basic stock on hand, our dealer here doesn't stock any parts and takes forever to order things, common with many of the dealers of all brands here (the saying is "No stock Sir").

Have already changed the rear tire to a more dual sport pattern, Samsun brand, 140/80-17; a bit taller than I'd like but my access to available tires is very limited. the wheel a 17"alloy and HD spokes. Also changed the front tire to one with more off road pattern and grip.

All the bikes I considered, I would have had to modify the stock seat, had to on the YBR and all five previous bikes I had in the US. I have modified the RX3 seat base, being carbureted rather than EFI, the wire loom is quite different. I don't like the position of the starter relay under the seat (same on the EFI), they had to put a bump in the eat pan to clear the relay, on mine it was easy to relocate it towards the rear under the passenger seat thus allowing me to lower the seat pan by a half inch. I rebuilt the seat foam and reshaped it and then had it recovered, do to the more "saddle" shape the recovering was beyond my ability. Haven't had a chance to ride on that seat yet due to the carb issue.

I upgraded the headlight system with a set of relays and a 65/55 H4 and need to add the driving lights; would have done the same on all the bikes I considered.

I really want to get to know this bike and get some Kilomoters/miles on it and get it out into the back country, I really do think it will meet my needs.

I did have the crash bars and luggage carrier frames repainted with a Zinc and Epoxy primer, in the very wet climate I live in and being 720 meters from the ocean, everything rusts or goes moldy here including me. There was a bit of rust developing at the open ends of the tubes and the weld locations. I see it on the headlight/speedo bracket and plan to touch up those weld spots with a zinc primer. If Zong put on more and higher quality paint, we'd have to pay more for the bike, cheap fix here for me.

When it did run good I got up to 25 liters to the Kilometer, that's about equal to 70 MPG and hit a top sustained speed of 145 KPH (indicated on the speedo, we know it's optimistic so closer to 128 KPH or about 79/80 MPH; good enough for me here, that will get the job done and really is way too fast for the road conditions here (traffic, road surface, stray dogs, cows and chickens... and the to common drunk walking on the side).

I really feel the bike is a good buy for the money and with a few after market items and a few custom features (as I did with the BMW's in the US) it will be "mine".

Hope to get all the panels back on this weekend and the carb too, will get some pictures and post when it's back together.

This site is great and I used the info and comments posted here when making my decision to buy the RX3, thanks to everyone here for all their help, comments and suggestions.

Riceburner