Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #1

Zong 169fmm pickup coil

I have a no spark issue on my zongshen 169Fmm (Honda 230 clone). Resistances appear to be in spec for the pickup coil and stator but if someone can verify the correct ball park numbers I'd appreciate it.

I have to check voltages for the pickup and black/red stator wire. Can someone tell me what they should be approximately? AC volts

Is it possible that the pickup coil can be too far away from the reluctor tab on the flywheel? When I put it together it looked like one of the mounting holes was elongated a bit, the previous owner my have been playing. Is there a way to setup the pickup distance properly on these? Seems almost impossible giving the design.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 AM   #2

black/red: >AC 50V is enough to see the spark
Gap: http://www.motorfans.com.cn/article-6354-1.html <.75mm should be OK 0.5mm is norm
---
Build as below for exact valve (Watching those boat guy make my life easier. They had tons gadget: Homemade coil tester that involves mains 230V / spark tester using 3V to 7kv module (ie. those designed for bug zapper racket)

Last edited by humanbeing; 07-23-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Ok I'm not sure how to set the gap between the pickup and the flywheel with this motor as the stator and pickup are bolted to the cover which goes over the flywheel when installed and there is no access holes to view the gap once the cover is on. Any ideas?

I forgot to add, apparently the spark plug caps on these bikes are resistor type so do I run the regular D8EA (non resistor) or DR8EA (resistor type) spark plugs? I read not to run resistor type if your cap is already a resistor type. Note running the DR8EA plug the bike idles really high.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Honda shop manual said peak volt(Need to make something or buy ready made device ) reading - pickup: ≥0.7v - source coil :≥100v
---
It's a little dumb but works. 1.Take the caliper out & measure. 2. Calculate (ie. the difference btw flywheel & pickup = gap)
Vertical chonda is ~112mm https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40856900604 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40856900604 in theory 3. Adjust (Honda shop manual showed there's thread locker in theory) 4. Test...