Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

RX3 Fuel Float

I've got 3 RX3's, and both register empty.

The fuel level sending units were pulled and plugged back into the harness, and raising the float arm registers fuel level.

Put them back in, filled up the tanks...and a flashlight shows neither float rises with the fuel level. We can raise the lever with a coathanger and the fuel level rises on the gauge.

WTF?

We took the fuel sender unit out to see if somehow the float itself has been compromised and it's not. There seems to be resistance in how the arm swings.

We cleaned the pivot and put it in a bucket of water (different density than gasoline, heavier)

Reinstalled, it still doesn't rise properly, but at least registers: one bar with a full tank, but still not floating to the top. Shaking the tank, sloshing fuel around shows some gauge response and then returned to no bars.

Any thoughts? Am I looking at a new sending unit?

Last edited by Caribbean Rider; 01-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Fuel gauge adjustment

A guy made this step by step procedure to adjust the RX3´s fuel level sensor.
It´s in spanish, but there are plenty of pictures that maybe will help you:

https://coltermoto.wordpress.com/tri...ible-flotante/

From my point of view it is useful for the "zero" adjustment (let´s say: "E" light blinking exactly when there is time to switch the fuel valve to the Reserve position), but isn´t enough for the "full span" adjustment also required: after that my fueld gauge is perfect for Empty, but indicates "Full" at 50% of fuel.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 01-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCircus View Post
A guy made this step by step procedure to adjust the RX3´s fuel level sensor.
It´s in spanish, but there are plenty of pictures that maybe will help you:

https://coltermoto.wordpress.com/tri...ible-flotante/

From my point of view it is useful for the "zero" adjustment (let´s say: "E" light blinking exactly when there is time to switch the fuel valve to the Reserve position), but isn´t enough for the "full span" adjustment also required: after that my fueld gauge is perfect for Empty, but indicates "Full" at 50% of fuel.
Why would the float not rise with the fuel level?

Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

I am wondering if my tech re-installed the fuel sender correctly.

The basics: which direction does the float go? Forward or backwards?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Since I have new units on order, for spits and grins we took off the float on one and pushed on two wine corks.

Worked perfectly. Gauge works fine.

We broke the float in two and discovered it was completely saturated with fuel. We have no idea how that happened.

The float was the problem, most likely on the other RX3 also.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Rider View Post
Since I have new units on order, for spits and grins we took off the float on one and pushed on two wine corks.

Worked perfectly. Gauge works fine.

We broke the float in two and discovered it was completely saturated with fuel. We have no idea how that happened.

The float was the problem, most likely on the other RX3 also.
I believe that you're the first....but it's a good thing to keep our eyes on.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #7

I have taken the float off several times and re-bent. To no avail!

You mean to tell me that replacing the float with wine corks solves the issue??? LOL That's unreal!

Will the cork break down with time due to the gasoline? I don't know. Maybe that's a dumb questions, but I really don't know.

Flipping cork screws! Ha! Wait until I tell my husband. He's going to stare at me like I've lost my mind.

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post

You mean to tell me that replacing the float with wine corks solves the issue??? LOL That's unreal!

Will the cork break down with time due to the gasoline? I don't know. Maybe that's a dumb questions, but I really don't know.

Flipping cork screws! Ha! Wait until I tell my husband. He's going to stare at me like I've lost my mind.
Living in wine country, being surrounded by wineries, and Mrs. 2LZ belonging to a local "wine club", it appears that I'll have a lifetime supply of "floats"!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:

Yep. That was it. A cork.

How long will it last? Don't know. I have two new float assemblies coming. Pretty reasonable, $16 ea. MOL.

Last edited by Caribbean Rider; 02-02-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #10

My husband Luke, gave me the stare I was expecting. LOL He couldn't believe it ha!

Since you got 2 new floats on the way, do you plan on leaving the cork in until your next valve job? Or do you plan on replacing it asap?

@2LZ, you crack me up. Did you know I'm in wine country as well? NY is a wine heaven. Who knew!!!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
My husband Luke, gave me the stare I was expecting. LOL He couldn't believe it ha!

Since you got 2 new floats on the way, do you plan on leaving the cork in until your next valve job? Or do you plan on replacing it asap?

@2LZ, you crack me up. Did you know I'm in wine country as well? NY is a wine heaven. Who knew!!!
We never buttoned the bikes back up, and it's not difficult to pull the tank. We'll put in the new units and store the corked ones as back-up.

IOn all my years owning dozens of bikes and cars, I never had a tank float fail.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Rider View Post
IOn all my years owning dozens of bikes and cars, I never had a tank float fail.
Oh, just wait until you have a carburetor fuel float fail. On an airplane. With fuel pouring out of the carburetor directly over an exhaust stack. (Rotax has a service bulletin to replace the floats due to fuel saturation causing them to fail.)

It's unfortunate that it happens, but it can happen even to the best manufacturers.

Glad that replacements are on the way, but the cork solution is pretty innovative!