Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980YamahaIT175G View Post
http://www.df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=695

If you look at the above link, that was what Tom Noonan was referring to. He was THE person who was the FINAL person to give you a plate or not. That was a few years ago. He had stated that as time went on, this would be the way to certify motorcycles. For ALL 50 states. Sort of looking into the future, if you will. Remember, he had stated this. Not me. I personally feel this is a little ridiculous. But, he has the FINAL say. Back in 1981, in New York State, once you had the proper equipment put on the bike, that was it. You took the old title with the "DIRT BIKE" describing the Body Type to the DMV and then, abracadabra, the new title had MOTORCYCLE describing the Body Type. This was for my two stroke premix enduro. At some point in time, I will post pictures of what my enduro looked like with the "equipment". Amazing what one could get away with years ago.
The 3 criteria that was posted was:

1 - Motorcycle needs to be able to go over 25 mph.
2 - EPA Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.
3 - DOT Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.

I'm saying that they do not use rivets, at least not on my bike, which is 50 state legal.

Anyway, the tires might be what keeps these from being DOT approved. On my Bashan, I have the enduro tread, which is DOT approved. Most knobbies are not DOT approved.

But, there is a way, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble and money for the Hawk

I would think the process to recertify an off road motorcycle for street use might be simple, but who knows.

http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regis...ler-or-vehicle

Point is, there are exceptions and a process, and you need to find the correct channels instead of listening to the person who is feeding you the wrong information, and believing it is the law.
Be a Piggy!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You don't need to live in Vermont to get Vermont registration. It's been done several times.
If that is the case, then I would believe anything goes! What about yearly inspection and insurance? Wonder how that would work out?

Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
The 3 criteria that was posted was:

1 - Motorcycle needs to be able to go over 25 mph.
2 - EPA Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.
3 - DOT Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.

I'm saying that they do not use rivets, at least not on my bike, which is 50 state legal.

Anyway, the tires might be what keeps these from being DOT approved. On my Bashan, I have the enduro tread, which is DOT approved. Most knobbies are not DOT approved.

But, there is a way, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble and money for the Hawk

I would think the process to recertify an off road motorcycle for street use might be simple, but who knows.

http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regis...ler-or-vehicle

Point is, there are exceptions and a process, and you need to find the correct channels instead of listening to the person who is feeding you the wrong information, and believing it is the law.
Believe it or not, I only had knobbies on my Yamaha. But on a new bike, to me that is not an issue. Just replace the knobbie with the best dual purpose/sport tire money can buy. With an emphasis on dirt, not street. Meaning, the highest percentage for dirt versus the street. That's all.

As for a custom build, it probably could be done. Too much money and paperwork for me. Want to go a route that is guaranteed to work and is the least costly. And most efficient (least amount of work/time). Vermont registration sounds pretty interesting. Avoids all the hassle with New York State.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #34

Quote:
If that is the case, then I would believe anything goes! What about yearly inspection and insurance? Wonder how that would work out?
Once you get Vermont registration, you could use that to transfer your bike to NY. If there's any hassle, just keep riding on a Vermont plate. Done.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #35

Get a title with a vermont registration

Thought this blog, and the responses that followed, sounded interesting:

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/

Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #36

Are you going to try it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Are you going to try it?
Still thinking about it. I am not a gambling person and cannot risk losing money. At this point in time, the manufacturerers/distributors know very well that this type of motorcycle needed to be DOT/EPA certified to get it on the road in ALL 48 states. Not Off-Road Legal, but On-Road (Street) Legal. The only way to send a message of dissatisfaction is to purchase a Street Legal motorcycle such as this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...f250mc-rte.htm

or this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...50mc-rte-n.htm

Dissatisfaction is spoken by my wallet. Message needs to be sent to the manufacturers/distributors that do not comply. Those that do comply get my business. That is all. Just my opinion. No reason these manufacturers/distributors could not rivet a couple of metal plates to the frame of a motorcycle. I do not mind paying for it, because in the long run there is no doubt whether or not the motorcycle is Off-Road Legal or On-Road (Street) Legal. This is how I feel about this situation. Everybody is different.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #38

I really like this Vermont thing.

/

Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #39

Irate

Quote:
Still thinking about it. I am not a gambling person and cannot risk losing money. At this point in time, the manufacturerers/distributors know very well that this type of motorcycle needed to be DOT/EPA certified to get it on the road in ALL 48 states. Not Off-Road Legal, but On-Road (Street) Legal. The only way to send a message of dissatisfaction is to purchase a Street Legal motorcycle such as this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...f250mc-rte.htm

or this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...50mc-rte-n.htm

Dissatisfaction is spoken by my wallet. Message needs to be sent to the manufacturers/distributors that do not comply. Those that do comply get my business. That is all. Just my opinion. No reason these manufacturers/distributors could not rivet a couple of metal plates to the frame of a motorcycle. I do not mind paying for it, because in the long run there is no doubt whether or not the motorcycle is Off-Road Legal or On-Road (Street) Legal. This is how I feel about this situation. Everybody is different.

Both of those bikes also state they are not carb approved and not for sale in CA NJ PA. Leads me to belive theat you would have a hard time in NY too. Doubt they have the plates on them either and I doubt almost any china bikes have that unless they are sold through a us dealer like CSC.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #40

The TT Special from CSC will be CARB and EPA approved for 50 states. None of us had any problems getting a license plate for our Zongshen RX3 bikes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #41

Hey Sicario - did you ever get your Hawk registered in NY?

When I spoke with Don at APSC (well, mostly listening to his sales pitch), he told me that the Hawk had gone through EPA certification (though he claimed that he was involved, I took that with a grain of salt). Still, I was Jones-ing to get another bike after some cretins stole my 2005 DR-Z400 off my front porch in the middle of September. So on Monday, October 19th, I put $1,399 on my Mastercard and started rubbing my hands in anticipation. And reading forum posts here where the best and brightest butts who have ever straddled a Chinese saddle are happy to help each other out. Especially Weld and Spud (-:

My Hawk arrived that Friday, October 23rd. The documentation (MCO, BCO, ODS) arrived on October 29th. That afternoon I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Foremost getting insurance. They didn't list Haosen as a manufacturer and the Foremost rep didn't have access to a VIN decoder. She (the rep) was very diligent, though, and started reading me a list of Chinese motorcycle manufacturers. When she mentioned, "Chongqing", I recalled reading that name on this site and we called it a winner. After the insurance cards arrived in my email inbox, I downloaded the required DMV forms and typed in the information (rather than hand-write it, because at times even I cannot read my own writing). This may have been part of the key to my success, though.

The morning of October 30th I took the APSC documents, DMV forms, and my insurance cards down to the DMV office in Troy NY. I was nothing but POLITE to the people behind the counter. I've witnessed too many people being turned away more for their attitude than for the technicalities. In short, I had absolutely no problems getting the Hawk registered and plated. The next day I rode it to a local bike dealer (Ronnie's in Guilderland) and paid my $6 for a mandatory state inspection sticker. The title arrived in the mail last week. The make is listed as HAOSE.

That success seems to have been a coin toss, though. The same day that I registered the Hawk at DMV I also attempted to register a 2002 Honda XR100R that I'd bought last July so my GF could learn to ride in a place without cars, curbs, and pedestrians. NY law requires dirt bikes be registered and insured - even if you are only going to ride it on your own property. Alas, the Previous Owner (PO) had never registered the XR, so all I had was a HAND WRITTEN bill of sale. Unlike the Hawk docs, that wasn't good enough for the people behind the DMV counter that day. For my troubles in trying to be "legal" about off-road riding, all I got for the Honda was two more blank DMV forms and a short lecture about how I needed to have the PO to fill them out before coming back. I was still polite, but I still haven't contacted the PO. Probably never will. I may give it a try at another DMV office. Or I might just sell the bike and buy my GF a scooter with airbags.

I'm hoping that this post, in some way or another, helps out Sicario or anyone else needing to brave the arbitrary landscape of a New York State governement office:

If at first you don't succeed, try another office (and use the knowledge you gained from previous visits). Or try the same office on a different day and claim that you gave it your best shot and really just want to do the right thing.

Or something like that.

Cheers,

Sprocket Man
2017 TaoTao CY50-B scooter 79cc big bore kit - 45 MPH! (sold)
2015 Haosen Hawk (sold)
2002 Honda XR100R - project bike almost done.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure (sold )-:

If I listed every bike that I've ever owned you'd either
1) Get bored
2) Be somewhat envious, or
3) Wonder: "What's wrong with that guy?"

Old 11-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #42

Thanks for posting your wise words of encouragement, Sprocket Man.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #43

Indeed, thanks for sharing your experience, Sprocket Man.

That's an impressive list of bikes in your sig line; are those past and present?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #44

You wrote that you did this on 10/30, and Sicario posted on 11/2--perhaps the state caught on? I hope not!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR_Sprocket View Post
started reading me a list of Chinese motorcycle manufacturers. When she mentioned, "Chongqing", I recalled reading that name on this site and we called it a winner.
This is the problem right here. It's not that the Hawk isn't capable of being street legal, its that somewhere in the labyrinth of bureaucracy the paperwork is muddled. Chongqing isn't even a manufacturer, its a city!