Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980YamahaIT175G View Post
I was looking to purchase this bike when I came upon this thread.
Welcome!

I like your screen name. I love the early monoshock ring-dingers. I had a '78 MX175 for a while.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Here is the page where the XLS files can be found. if you scroll down, they have 2014 and 2016 as well. Also, the off-road bikes (besides cars and trucks)

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm
Ricky Power Sports (Hawk) shows up on the 2015 off-road cert spreadsheet. Alas, not on the on-road one. Don't know what the difference is, tho.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJunk View Post
Don't know what the difference is, tho.
Some states don't care whether a vehicle has EPA/DOT certification, and will issue a plate based on minimal street equipment (i.e. mirror(s), headlight, brake-light, etc) Other states are a no-go because the bikes are certified off-road according to the EPA.

For some reason, I was able to view these lists, and RPS did not show up on any of the lists from '14, '15, or '16 but thanks to you pointing it out, I found it on the '15 off-road.

For me in Arizona, it makes no difference since it has more than enough street equipment to get a license plate, but many states will find lots of angry buyers if their retailer won't return and refund their $ (assuming they bought it online)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #19

So far... A Hawk has been plated in the state of Washington. Awaiting to see if the actual title shows up.

If asked one replies "On road" to the licensing person, so you don't have to go have the bike inspected for lights, turn signals, horn, brakes, stop light, etc... These are required to plate an ATV or ORV in WA.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #20

When I was young, here in CA all you needed for a bike was a tail light and a left side mirror. You didn't even need a headlight! Now!? Unless it was pre-owned by the Governor himself, forget it! It's why I stripped a perfectly good, "supposedly street legal" X-Moto 200 GY! I use it for trail riding only and bought a Q Link for my little get-around. The Q was the only street legal CB at the time. Not sure what's legal now, if anything. That's why CSC should sell a BOATLOAD of those TT Special's here, if they grease enough palms to get C.A.R.B. approval.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #21

I recall seeing a plated 2-stroke CR500 in Santa Barbara in the late 1990's; a man was driving and a female was the passenger. A friend needed to get a CR250 2-stroke titled in his name, and the lady at the Oxnard DMV gave him street plates to make the titling process easier (he never put it on the street, but it saved him a lot of time!). In the mid-2000's, there were a few people here in Chinariders with plated Chinabikes, such as Roketas and Jetmoto enduros.

Cleveland Cyclewerks got their proprietary 230cc OEM'd by Lifan 50 state legality, although as we all know, they never had an enduro with that engine (it would have been convenient!!).

CSC had a Hartford 150cc engine and 229cc Zongshen for a few years in their Mustang replicas, 50 state legal, so I have no doubt the TT will have no problem getting certified in all 50 states. Others can do it, too, but there is a whole boatload of cost for CARB approval. Wade Liu has 49-state certified a few products that are exclusive to Excalibur for off-road, but he lets the manufacturers do the certification for products he distributes for them, such as the TMEC 200. TMEC, like several others, don't consider California lucrative enough to pay the extra costs for certification, but I am quite sure they vastly underestimated what they can sell there! CSC already knows how well their RX3 is selling, and having a bike like the TT to compete with the Bashans (EPA/DOT certified 49-state legal according to the lists I linked to), the TMECs, etc. The Hawk seems to have jumped the gun as far as street legality goes, as some owners are finding out!

Not sure how many of us are around from 2005 or '06 when this forum began, but there were many issues with the Lifan GY200-3 bike--it, too, was not getting plated for many states, as it was certified for off-road. That bike should not be confused with the now 'legendary' Lifan GY200-5 which was 49-state EPA/DOT certified.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

Thank you for posting the excellent information regarding the licensing process in New York state.
Your welcome. Should come in handy for anyone wanting to register their dual sport in New York State. Was much easier to do when I went through the process with my 1980 Yamaha IT175G back in 1981. Now it is a total madhouse.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

I like your screen name. I love the early monoshock ring-dingers. I had a '78 MX175 for a while.
Just did not like to fill up at the gas station since it was a premix. Lot of irrate drivers waiting for me to finish doing my thing with the filling the tank first with a premeasured container of two stroke oil. Followed by a a filling at top speed of gasoline. Took almost 10 minutes, but always a few drivers in line in back of me waiting. And cursing. Really sucked. Ahhh!!! But the power!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #24

Just wanted to mention to everyone that I just spoke to Adam Rinkleff at 972-484-9988. Really nice guy. Very helpful. I asked him if the required (for New York State) two (2) metal plate(s) were on the bike. He said NO. Meaning, NO DOT (FMVSS) plate AND NO EPA plate. That means it is impossible for this dual sport to be registered in New York State. Of course, this sucks. Maybe in the future it will get the required plates.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #25

Thanks for sharing that info.

Which bike is in your sights now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #26

Quote:
I was looking to purchase this bike when I came upon this thread. Whew! That was a close one. There is a person you need to talk to. Contact information is as follows:

Technical Services Bureau
Tom Noonan/Mark Engle (Director)
NYS DMV Technical Services Bureau
6 Empire State Plaza
Room 220
Albany, NY 12228

Phone: 1-518-474-5282 (select option # 4)
Fax: 1-518-473-9903

From my conversation over the phone with Tom Noonan (a while back, a few years ago), there are three (3) criteria that need to be met for the motorcycle to get plated in New York:

1 - Motorcycle needs to be able to go over 25 mph.
2 - EPA Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.
3 - DOT Certification/Approval metal plate riveted to frame of motorcycle.

If all criteria are met, then you get a plate. I believe the first two (2) are met. The third one has to be verified by Adam Rinkleff. Hope he chimes in here.
The new bikes don't have rivets, what do they say about this?

Colorado DMV tried some bull like that on me when I tried to register my brand new bought at a licensed dealer in Denver motorcycle. I just went to another DMV and got it done.

You are dealing with people who may or may not know what the law/regulation is.

And some may even say you do not need to register to drive on the roads. Plenty of youtube vids on that.
Be a Piggy!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for sharing that info.

Which bike is in your sights now?
Honestly, I do not really know. The only motorcycle that seems to pass muster is the DongFang DF250RTE.

http://www.df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=695

If you notice, the two (2) metal plates in question are riveted to the frame/swingarm. That is what is needed to register a motorcycle in New York State. Wish I lived in Vermont. So much easier there.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
The new bikes don't have rivets, what do they say about this?

Colorado DMV tried some bull like that on me when I tried to register my brand new bought at a licensed dealer in Denver motorcycle. I just went to another DMV and got it done.

You are dealing with people who may or may not know what the law/regulation is.

And some may even say you do not need to register to drive on the roads. Plenty of youtube vids on that.
http://www.df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=695

If you look at the above link, that was what Tom Noonan was referring to. He was THE person who was the FINAL person to give you a plate or not. That was a few years ago. He had stated that as time went on, this would be the way to certify motorcycles. For ALL 50 states. Sort of looking into the future, if you will. Remember, he had stated this. Not me. I personally feel this is a little ridiculous. But, he has the FINAL say. Back in 1981, in New York State, once you had the proper equipment put on the bike, that was it. You took the old title with the "DIRT BIKE" describing the Body Type to the DMV and then, abracadabra, the new title had MOTORCYCLE describing the Body Type. This was for my two stroke premix enduro. At some point in time, I will post pictures of what my enduro looked like with the "equipment". Amazing what one could get away with years ago.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Wish I lived in Vermont. So much easier there.
You don't need to live in Vermont to get Vermont registration. It's been done several times.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldangrind View Post
you don't need to live in vermont to get vermont registration. It's been done several times.
x2.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894