Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
2LZ, I read your experience with trying to remove the rotor from the stock wheel.

I'm trying to do the same thing now with no success.

Tried a heat gun on max setting for 5 minutes, then used my battery impact driver. No luck budging any of the bolts.

I'm thinking of using a torch....

I ordered a new stock rotor and bolts from CSC, thinking I would never get the old one off.

jb
I read in the tutorial that if you use a torch like Gerry did, make sure and not hit the spoke ends or it will wreck them.

I know I may be repeating stuff here but you're going to have to use a 1/2" air gun on them, with a nice sharp allen socket, with all your weight on it. It's the only way I got mine off. My gun was turned up on "high" too...and I still stripped two of them. Super soft, like unbelievably soft metal. I guess it's for expansion/contraction purposes?

If you don't have that available, take a grinder to all the bolt heads. You'll dig into the old rotor a little but you aren't re-using it anyway. Then peel the rotor off and grab the shanks with vise grips. You may want to re-heat the shanks for a few minutes each prior to trying to remove them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
If you don't have that available, take a grinder to all the bolt heads. You'll dig into the old rotor a little but you aren't re-using it anyway. .....
That's the problem.

I'd like to remove the rotor without damaging it.

I want to re-use the rotor on the 19" wheel.

Ordered another stock rotor anyway, because of my experience with other bolts stripping out.

jb

Old 09-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
That's the problem.

I'd like to remove the rotor without damaging it.

I want to re-use the rotor on the 19" wheel.

Ordered another stock rotor anyway, because of my experience with other bolts stripping out.

jb
Use a Dremel and cut a slot into the bolt, then use a large flat head screwdriver (or better yet, flat head bit on an electric drill/screwdriver to keep even torque on the bit) and see if that will break the bolt loose.

I am lucky in that I didn't need a heat gun, but I did use a 1/2 in ratchet, supported the ratchet head (to avoid uneven torque) and sharp Allen head bit, and gave it a quick, firm "pop" to break the Loctite. Then I was able to remove the bolts, but I still manage to bugger up most of the Allen head bolts. Good thing CSC provides new bolts with the Big Brake Kit. If you're just replacing the rotor, get a new set of bolts and a few extra for safety's sake!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Use a Dremel and cut a slot into the bolt, then use a large flat head screwdriver (or better yet, flat head bit on an electric drill/screwdriver to keep even torque on the bit) and see if that will break the bolt loose.

I am lucky in that I didn't need a heat gun, but I did use a 1/2 in ratchet, supported the ratchet head (to avoid uneven torque) and sharp Allen head bit, and gave it a quick, firm "pop" to break the Loctite. Then I was able to remove the bolts, but I still manage to bugger up most of the Allen head bolts. Good thing CSC provides new bolts with the Big Brake Kit. If you're just replacing the rotor, get a new set of bolts and a few extra for safety's sake!
Thanks for the tips.

I ordered new bolts along with new rotor.

I think I will give up trying to remove the rotor, and leave it in place in case I ever want to go back to the 18" wheel. Although I don't think I will.

Waiting for the new rotor and bolts to arrive.......

jb

Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #35

I'm doing the upgrade. It was pretty easy to free up the bolts. I used a propane torch and had no problems at all. The old bolts are as good as new. All this will go on my 'spare' 18" wheel.

Peter Y.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I'm doing the upgrade. It was pretty easy to free up the bolts. I used a propane torch and had no problems at all. The old bolts are as good as new. All this will go on my 'spare' 18" wheel.

Peter Y.
The torch must make the difference over a heat gun. My bolts had locktite all the way down and around the threads and they were gripping the holes all the way out, even after a good 5 minutes with my heat gun on each one.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #37

2LT, the torch is the only way to go!! If you do this upgrade you will find that the tutorial is a gold mine of information. I thought Ryan forgot to send me some parts of the kit...then looked at the tutorial and discovered how wrong I was. As for the torch, I do not see how you can remove the two caliper pins without a torch. Just a simple one from the hardware store is all you need but the trick is to get the part up to about 300F.

I'll take the bike out for a test ride tomorrow, now time for a celebratory adult beverage.

Peter Y.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
2LT, the torch is the only way to go!! If you do this upgrade you will find that the tutorial is a gold mine of information. I thought Ryan forgot to send me some parts of the kit...then looked at the tutorial and discovered how wrong I was. As for the torch, I do not see how you can remove the two caliper pins without a torch. Just a simple one from the hardware store is all you need but the trick is to get the part up to about 300F.

I'll take the bike out for a test ride tomorrow, now time for a celebratory adult beverage.

Peter Y.
I have a couple torches but try to refrain from using them if I can use the heat gun....but alas....sometimes there's no substitute.

Enjoy that celebratory adult beverage! Well earned.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #39

The optional front brake disc and pads really are an improvement over stock. With just a short ride around the neighborhood, complete with some progressively harder stops, I can feel a difference. The system is still no match for a Brembo radial caliper with floating disc. Still, this is much better than stock. The improvement is mostly at the panic end of the spectrum. That's where I saw the most weakness with the stock system. After a few heat cycles I'll have a better feel for this. Now I'd love to have adjustable levers since the new disc is slimmer and I do not use nearly as much lever throw as before.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #40

Good to hear there's an improvement!
I have adjustable levers but even at the closest setting on one of them, it's still kind of out there. They don't adjust perfectly evenly. Of course, one wouldn't even notice if they weren't adjustable. Now it's another setting to get anal about. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #41

For those who have upgraded to the oversized rotor was there a noticeable difference ?

Debating doing it and if it justifies the expense. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #42

I installed the larger rotor kit and am very happy with the improved braking. Prior to the change I had a couple close calls when the bike simply would not stop. Now, I probably had not given the brakes enough time to totally bed in. Nevertheless, I do not think I would ever been happy with the stock setup because all my other bikes stopped so much better than what came on my Zong, even when they were brand new.

Peter Y.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #43

Ditto Peter's experience. Hard braking on the stock rotor provided mild braking, and it was tough to balance the rear brake as it would lock up way sooner than the front.

Going to the Big Brake Kit made a big difference. On braking, the front end now squats and compresses and the big slows noticeably quicker. It's a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #44

This is my own RX3 and I upgraded to a 320mm rotor 4 piston caliper and new master cyl - I added Sintered pads and stops lovely.
At the moment I am working on the USA steel spoked design and what is availible isn't up to parr yet I feel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502337.jpg (87.8 KB, 183 views)