Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #61

Air Box Delete

As you know, like Weldangrind, I'm a big pod filter guy for a multitude of reasons. I know, I know...it's a preference but to each their own. On to the subject at hand.

That big, bulky air box these come with is a real "work of art". Not only is it very large, for what little actual paper filter area you get, (edit: 18 sq "), but it also plays an integral part of doing other things....like playing the role of inner rear fender, providing a plastic tab on the left side for mounting the starter solenoid, plus it also helps shim out the battery box and gives that box something to mount to....so all of these things had to be addressed. One other thing....why on Earth did they have to wrap that damn big airbox around the shock so it's almost impossible to access adjusting it without a big disassembly??? Like a guy can get a pair of spanners in there...sheesh...

Enter Victim: On the way home from work, I swung by Lowes and picked up a $4.00 Hefty office cubical trash can. I wanted something impervious to weather and water, but was sturdy yet flexible so it wouldn't crack. Ever try to crush or break one of these? You can't.

Once I got it home, I grabbed an empty 30 pack case, (Miller Lite, imagine that) and drew up a template of what I needed to cut, transferred that template to the trash can, whipped out the sheet metal sheers and got after it.

After cutting and mounting the rear inner fender, safely suspending it with lots of zip ties, I then did the same template trick with the empty beer container and made a mounting plate for the starter solenoid....and for whatever else I may want to mount there someday....again, suspended with zip ties.

As you can see by the finished product, the new inner rear fender will actually provide more protection than the stock airbox, plus if I wish, I can mount a cool little stash box in there but most importantly, accessing the shock for adjustment is now a piece-o-cake.

Oh yah....and the only unhappy participant of this project was the Hefty Trash can. He doesn't hold much these days.......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 03-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #62

Notes

As I was wrenching along yesterday evening, my mind was wandering to the sounds of Steve Earle, playing in the background.

Those little rubber straps that hold everything electrical....for the love of Pete, zip tie each one of those you find. They are guaranteed to dry up break in a short time. On my X-Moto, I was happily going down a trail and suddenly it stopped running.....just to get this wafting odor of burning CDI laying on my hot exhaust. Not that the TT's design will accommodate that because on the stock airbox, they can fall into a tray when the straps fail...but you get the idea.

If you get the chance, please loosen and retighten your motor mounts. I did that last night also and each one was in varying degrees of "barely snug to almost snug". This would explain the buzz we were getting around 5000 rpms.

Still waiting on parts now. Just a sprocket, exhaust wrap and mounting the exhaust system to go. If there's some time between now and my next update, it's because I'm sitting on my porch, with a stack of empties around me, waiting for the delivery truck.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 03-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
As I was wrenching along yesterday evening, my mind was wandering to the sounds of Steve Earle, playing in the background.

Those little rubber straps that hold everything electrical....for the love of Pete, zip tie each one of those you find. They are guaranteed to dry up break in a short time. On my X-Moto, I was happily going down a trail and suddenly it stopped running.....just to get this wafting odor of burning CDI laying on my hot exhaust. Not that the TT's design will accommodate that because on the stock airbox, they can fall into a tray when the straps fail...but you get the idea.

If you get the chance, please loosen and retighten your motor mounts. I did that last night also and each one was in varying degrees of "barely snug to almost snug". This would explain the buzz we were getting around 5000 rpms.

Still waiting on parts now. Just a sprocket, exhaust wrap and mounting the exhaust system to go. If there's some time between now and my next update, it's because I'm sitting on my porch, with a stack of empties around me, waiting for the delivery truck.
Wow, thanks for the update! That's a lot of good stuff you've taken care of. I'm taking notes here for when I get my sprocket. I figure, if the bike's already down for one maintenance issue, I might as well do more. This thread is a fantastic resource!

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
Wow, thanks for the update! That's a lot of good stuff you've taken care of. This thread is a fantastic resource!
Thank you oddthought! I gotta tell ya, it's been a hell of a lot of fun. I'm just having a blast....and knowing the end result is that Mrs. 2LZ will be on something that's not just fun, but also safe is important to me. It took a while to find her.....damn near a lifetime. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #65

That plastic will do nicely! I did something similar on our old 150 GY6 quad, except I wasn't smart enough to use a black trash can. I used plastic from a blue Reliance water container (made in Canada ).

Regarding the grease in the cups, it reminds me of a line from Cheesy, which is that the manufacturer simply waved the cup over some grease.

What is the little slide switch next to the ignition switch?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That plastic will do nicely! I did something similar on our old 150 GY6 quad, except I wasn't smart enough to use a black trash can. I used plastic from a blue Reliance water container (made in Canada ).

Regarding the grease in the cups, it reminds me of a line from Cheesy, which is that the manufacturer simply waved the cup over some grease.

What is the little slide switch next to the ignition switch?
The slide switch is actually attached to the cover you can rotate into place over the opening for your key. It's a cool idea (for preventing corrosion, I guess) but I'm not sure I'll bother with it. The plastic on the grabby end of the key has a funny shape molded into it that fits into a little not-quite hexagonal socket and you twist that to open/close the cover.

It's fine, I suppose, but I don't think it'll get used much by me.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #67

Ah, here's a detailed explanation by Joe on the blog a while back.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #68

Thanks for the explanation, OT.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #69

"2LZ", hmm seems a bit of a misnomer to me...

also, while you got it stripped are you pulling the swingarm for HD greasing? maybe a zerk or two? bit disapointed its only just bushings :(
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
"2LZ", hmm seems a bit of a misnomer to me...

also, while you got it stripped are you pulling the swingarm for HD greasing? maybe a zerk or two? bit disapointed its only just bushings :(
Hey SeerAtlas. The swingarm clean re-grease is on the prior page.

I totally prefer bushings myself. Just replace if they ever go bad. I bet I've only replaced four in my lifetime. My old Ironhead had swingarm bearings (Timkin, like a wheel bearing) and those damn things were ALWAYS coming lose! That's really bad on a chopper, flying into a corner and you feel the bike start to flex in half and dance under you. I bet I had to chase them twice a year. Just my personal preference.

FYI- "2LZ". Most think it's "Too Lazy". Road name given to me by a Boozefighter long ago. Like the trail cook in the old westerns was "Cookie", I was the road side Harley wrench in the pack when someone would break. Hence "Tools"....but spelled "2LZ". Bikers can't spell ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I totally prefer bushings myself. Just replace if they ever go bad. I bet I've only replaced four in my lifetime. My old Ironhead had swingarm bearings (Timkin, like a wheel bearing) and those damn things were ALWAYS coming lose! That's really bad on a chopper, flying into a corner and you feel the bike start to flex in half and dance under you. I bet I had to chase them twice a year. Just my personal preference.

FYI- "2LZ". Most think it's "Too Lazy". Road name given to me by a Boozefighter long ago. Like the trail cook in the old westerns was "Cookie", I was the road side Harley wrench in the pack when someone would break. Hence "Tools"....but spelled "2LZ". Bikers can't spell ;-)
Losing a swingarm bearing mid-ride sounds... extremely uncomfortable. Like, brown-pants uncomfortable.

I figured 2LZ translated to Tools, but I couldn't be quite certain if it was that or something about Landing Zone (LZ). Thanks for the clarification! That's a pretty good road name if you're gonna end up with one.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #72

I was thinking "2 LZ" as in "2, LZ engines", any other Datsun fans out there?

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERI...en_p22-01.html

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
The slide switch is actually attached to the cover you can rotate into place over the opening for your key. It's a cool idea (for preventing corrosion, I guess) but I'm not sure I'll bother with it. The plastic on the grabby end of the key has a funny shape molded into it that fits into a little not-quite hexagonal socket and you twist that to open/close the cover.

It's fine, I suppose, but I don't think it'll get used much by me.
I think it is a security feature. Prevents jamming a screwdriver into the ignition key slot and stealing bike.

Last edited by mtiberio; 07-22-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
I think iut is a security feature. Prevents jamming a screwdriver into the ignition key slot and stealing bike.
I suppose that could be true, but then why would they put that slide switch bit on there? I haven't tried it yet, so it might be harder than I'm thinking, but it seems to me that you could just pry the slide bit with a screwdriver to open or close it. It might take a thief off guard for a minute, but I don't know if it would slow them down much more than a few seconds.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #75

when I switched to the pod filter I was going to remove the airbox but stopped after I realized it was part of the rear fender. I like your idea, I am going to have to pick up one of those trash cans.