Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

swapping gears in hawk transmission

I watched a video on how a motorcycle transmission works and it looks like you should be able to swap the gears to change the ratio. I did a google search but didn't come up with much. Am I missing something or can you not just swap gears so I can have a low 1st but higher 5th?

I know I would be limited by the space available but even 1 or 2 teeth would help.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

your best chance would be to take the gears out and measure every part of them, and match up what you find in it to what you want to put in it

Old 07-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

It's selection that would limit you. Your only real option is to tailor the final drive to meet your needs, even though it affects the entire range.
Another option is to drop in a transmission from an XR200R; you'd get six gears, but it's really only an extra gear sandwiched in between 2-3 or 3-4 (can't remember which). I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ss View Post
I watched a video on how a motorcycle transmission works and it looks like you should be able to swap the gears to change the ratio. I did a google search but didn't come up with much. Am I missing something or can you not just swap gears so I can have a low 1st but higher 5th?

I know I would be limited by the space available but even 1 or 2 teeth would help.
Yes, this is possible. But never easy to do on any Asian bike I've had anything to do with. With Brit Bikes, they would offer trials gearsets for their transmissions. So, on Asian bikes, they say this is the transmission, and by implication, that's it. For a Brit Bike it would say something like: This bike is equipped with the R2D2 Gearbox. Available are R2D2 w (wide ratio gears) R2D2 n (street gears), and R2D2 R (close ratio road racing gears). However, on CB's, it is real easy to change out the transmission driving sprocket. Using two master links and a short piece of chain for the 15 tooth sprocket, and removing the extra master link and bit of chain to putt home on the road with the 17.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yes, this is possible. But never easy to do on any Asian bike I've had anything to do with. With Brit Bikes, they would offer trials gearsets for their transmissions. So, on Asian bikes, they say this is the transmission, and by implication, that's it. For a Brit Bike it would say something like: This bike is equipped with the R2D2 Gearbox. Available are R2D2 w (wide ratio gears) R2D2 n (street gears), and R2D2 R (close ratio road racing gears). However, on CB's, it is real easy to change out the transmission driving sprocket. Using two master links and a short piece of chain for the 15 tooth sprocket, and removing the extra master link and bit of chain to putt home on the road with the 17.
Yeah I think I resigned myself to do that. I have a 13/15/17 front sprocket and I believe they can all be used without changing the number of links. I know the 15/17 can haven't really felt the need to try the 13 yet

I guess I need a small master link tool any recommendations?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ss View Post
Yeah I think I resigned myself to do that. I have a 13/15/17 front sprocket and I believe they can all be used without changing the number of links. I know the 15/17 can haven't really felt the need to try the 13 yet

I guess I need a small master link tool any recommendations?
I have never heard of a master link tool. I used a small screw driver to spread the open end of the master link spring clip, then wiggled the screwdriver to get the top of the spring clip out and over the groove in the pin. So, if you are with me so far, put the screw driver where it won't get lost, or stab you, then just use your fingernail to get the bottom half of the spring clip out of the same groove. Now the spring clip will (sometimes needs a little push) hang up and down. Notice that the spring clip has two parrelel groves on the inside. So repeat the fingernail routine on the other pin. BE CAREFUL, you don't want to drop or lose the spring clip. Now work the outer plate (that the spring clip held in place) off of the two pins. Then I just worked off one end of the master link at a time from the chain.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

When you reinstall the master link, ensure that the closed end faces the direction of chain travel.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
When you reinstall the master link, ensure that the closed end faces the direction of chain travel.
I know my answer to his question was more than a little long winded. My excuse is I'm sure there are people with China Bikes who have never done this kind of work. Good point about making sure the spring clip of the master link faces in the direction of chain travel.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #9

I can tell you I had no idea it needed to go in the direction of travel. I will have to take a look at what I did.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Thumbs Up

when i was a kid, i had a kawasaki 85 that had two rear sprockets mounted on it, the larger with little coil over springs over bolts that would hold the smaller sprocket away from the larger, when using the smaller for road speed,, and pull the smaller in tight when you wanted to switch the chain over and use the larger for serious trail work. bike came with a masterlinked short section of chain to facilitate the switch. wonder if such a setup is made somewhere in china for these hondoids?

here, not the bike i had but close, look at the rear...

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...bikes/J1TL.jpg
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking