Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Free Classifieds > Complete Machines
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

2017 hawk 250 (not titled yet)

2017 hawk 250 with exhaust, carburetor, and intake modifications done to it. it has less than 300 miles on the bike. I'll make a deal with anybody who wants it, I paid 1400 and it has almost another $300 worth of mods into it. I will sell it for $900 at the moment if you come and get it, I've had this bike for less than a month, and now can I use it for what I wanted it for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180402_170033.jpg (87.9 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg 20180402_165932.jpg (88.1 KB, 862 views)
File Type: jpg 20180402_170006.jpg (92.9 KB, 740 views)

Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

Wow, that's a bummer. I am surprised they switched it so quickly. Did the MCO state Motorcycle or dirt bike as the vehicle type? Did they deny it based on the VIN? I only ask because some states will only register for road use if the MCO states motorcycle. It is surprising to me that Kansas would suddenly change their tune on these things given their lack of emissions testing.

I will ask a couple of friends of mine if they are interested in it. I live in Nebraska, so it's not too much of a drive.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

It states its a motorcycle, nowhere on it does it state that it's an off-road only bike.
But I agree it sucks, but I'll get a dual sport, that i can title.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS-Hawk View Post
It states its a motorcycle, nowhere on it does it state that it's an off-road only bike.
But I agree it sucks, but I'll get a dual sport, that i can title.
Well, if you want something like the Hawk, the Bashan Enforcer is going to be the ticket. The Bashan bikes are 49 state legal, unlike the Hawk, so they can be registered in every state except California.

All of the upgrades on the Hawk also work on the Enforcer as they are pretty much the same bike, so you could always return the Hawk to mostly stock and swap the goodies over to the Enforcer.

Or just keep your eyes open for a CRF230 or similar. If the Kansas market is anything like Nebraska though, used Japanese dual sports tend to be almost ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

I’m interested i sent you an email

Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Well after 2 months of fighting with the tag office, i decided to take it to the highway patrol office, they inspected it and gave me a piece of paper stating that it was street legal, cost $20 for the inspection, and I got my title and tags for the bike finally.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS-Hawk View Post
Well after 2 months of fighting with the tag office, i decided to take it to the highway patrol office, they inspected it and gave me a piece of paper stating that it was street legal, cost $20 for the inspection, and I got my title and tags for the bike finally.
That's awesome! So you were essentially fighting the DMV, who was unsurprisingly incorrect. Worth the 20 bucks to actually be able to use the bike you put all that work into. Make sure to update the info on the Registration thread so other guys know if they run into it.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #8

Yeah i was so happy i went and put even more aftermarket parts into it. I put on a set of Renthal mini bend handlebars, changed the sprockets to the 17/45, and installed a Renthal MX racing chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180427_170433.jpg (95.3 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg 20180427_170509.jpg (98.2 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg 20180427_170449.jpg (94.0 KB, 569 views)

Old 05-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

I love happy endings!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

That's awesome! So glad you got it through. I'm in California and everything is a fight with our DMV, each employee has their own interpretation of the law and there doesn't seem to be any form of management to enforce the actual laws. I took a trailer into the Fremont DMV and they came out and inspected, looked over my paperwork and told me I had to go get a California Highway Patrol inspection. I drove straight to the Oakland DMV, they came out, looked it and my paperwork and I left with my new plates.

I agree, I too love a happy ending!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #11

I'm a little late to this party, but congrats on getting the bike road legal. Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #12

Titled 2nd Owner Hawk in Kansas - 115 Days

So glad you were finally successful! I was crazy enough to buy one from an owner in OK who thought he had a title but when I showed up realized it was the certificate of origin. Whew! What a legal battle and lesson. I spoke to 3 private attorneys, all of whom seemed to shy away from taking it on. I think they realized I wasn't going to pay more than a couple hundred MORE dollars for the exchange of a few documents in civil court. I had to learn, through university-based public service outlets, how to 'sue' the state DOR and the seller, 'pro se' (self-represented). I hope that posting my experience here will someday help another Hawk buyer/Kansan realize that they can be titled, and the legal steps are challenging but achievable. I've counted over 10 Kansas public officials involved in my $300, 4-month quest to achieve a 'quiet title.' Three of those were lawyers, one a judge, along with the several other public 'servants' most of whom need good lessons in customer service. In Topeka, it's actually a DMV satellite office that has the best leadership and customer service. So much for driving 200 miles for a bargain (2017 with less than 100 mi. for $1,050). I'm glad I had the experience, actually, as I will keep my sons out of future title nightmares. Any newcomers considering buying one from a first-owner still holding the certificate of origin...insist they title it first, at least in Kansas. Let me know if you'd like to ride in Topeka (river trails), or if you'd like some Hawk company on your favorites in Salina. I'm retirement age, rediscovering riding with my adult sons, so still a bit of an off-road newbie! Nice Mods, man. Congrats!