Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Lets see some video of your China ATV in the wild

Just a bit of video of the three Coolster 3150 DX-2 ATV's me and my brother own. People ask me all the time about the capability of these ATV's and this video showcases several different terrains and even a few fairly steep hill climbs.
One of the hills is steep enough that I would not want to see an unexperienced rider climb whether they were on a 150cc China machine or 500cc Japanese machine. It is steep, rutted and with tree roots in the path along the way it would be quite easy to get over backwards or thrown sideways. We do have upgraded rear tires which have 100% more bite then the stock ones. One thing about climbing with the small 150cc engine and CST transmission is that once you commit to climb...you have to just lay into the throttle and stay in the throttle until you reach the top. Backing off the throttle will basicly allow the ATV drive belt to go neutral and you will never be able to regain your momentum or needed gear ratio. Of course some really steep grades might best just be avoided all together. The red Coolster that belongs to my brother has been cartwheeled down a few hills. One hill it cartwheeled end over end several times and surprisingly it never hurt a thing other then a mirror he had mounted on the handlebar.

One other terrain I try to avoid is mud. It isn't that the Coolster's with upgraded tires won't go thru mud, because they do pretty well in the mud actually for a 2X4. However they do have a tendency to really throw the mud since the stock fenders don't completely cover the tires. My Coolster 3150 I have fender flares on and will plow thru a few mud holes on occasion, but the other two will cover you from head to toe with mud. Some folks like that, but I don't like riding wet or mud covered. I'm just OLD I guess.LOL

Here is some of my video...now lets see some of yours.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

Uhhggg Please reshoot the entire video in landscape mode. LOL

/

Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

Ok I made it to 3 minutes in and it went to landscape. Now back to the video.

/

Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

The China atvs and the cvt transmission really do seem to be quite capable. Looks like you have some great riding areas near you.

/

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Uhhggg Please reshoot the entire video in landscape mode. LOL

/
So...you saying no oscar worthy cinemaphotography on this one? lol

I have four different cameras I will use to take video. I have a pair of 1080p video glasses, 1080p sj4000 gopro knockoff, emerson action cam and my Samsung galaxy cell phone. Sometimes I will just splice various video together from varios different devices. Thus you end up with a video of varying quality and resolution. Not the best sometimes, but still fun to play around with and share with anyone who might have an interest in the video subject.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
The China atvs and the cvt transmission really do seem to be quite capable. Looks like you have some great riding areas near you.

/
I didnt know what to expect regarding the cvt transmission when I bought my first Coolster 150. They are a different animal then the mamual shift trannys and require a different approach to steep grades, but once you learn its behavior and limits...it really does perform better then I would have ever expected it to.

We have around 20 miles of trails i would guess along the river I live. This time of year...some of them can get a bit overgrown but during spring and fall they are usually very nice to ride. Most trails would be considered beginner/intermediate type trails but there are some much more extreme areas as well for the more daring. Those I avoid.lol

Old 09-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Here is another video I shot. It is short and consist mainly of three different hill climbs. Each one of these climbs I would say are about the Coolster DX-2 150cc limit.

Hill #1 is a smooth and straight ride up, but it is steep and really does put alot of strain on the ATV and its drive train.

Hill #2 is the worst. It is rutted, full of stair stepped tree roots, has large rocks in the path and is steep. If you watch the video you can see I have the front tires off the ground quite a bit trying to power over one of those nasty roots at the start of the steep grade.

Hill #3 is probably the most tricky. It has very sharp turns up the steep grade. You have to keep in the throttle going up, but also have to navigate those turns just right as well. This hill takes the most weight shifting and a bit of skilled navigating to get to the top.

The trails on this day are dry clay pack. Hill #1 would be out of the question if the trails were wet.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

ckang how tall and how much do you weigh if you don't mind? Does the bike feel like a full size adult machine under you?

/

Old 09-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
ckang how tall and how much do you weigh if you don't mind? Does the bike feel like a full size adult machine under you?

/
I am 6'2" and weigh around 240lbs. The machine is a good fit.