Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

RX3 Adventure ride 40 days/39 nights - better than Noah

Hello folks -

I am looking to take an adventure ride this next spring, and have started to save money, decide on locations to stop at, and plan all the aspects of this trip. For me the timing is important beucase (a) I am completing my internship next spring, and will have some free time, (b) I have to make sure I have a job when I come back, so the timing is important, and (c) this is going to require some serious money; which my budget is $5,000 (which would include the purchase price of the bike)

My goal hree is to: (a) push myself and do something I have never done, (b) face some fears of traveling, camping, and ride so far, (c) see more of the USA which I have not seen, (d) push the bike to see if i can make it, and (d) have some fun. (e) maybe meet some people and make friends along the way. (f) probably a once in a lifetime event for me.

Therefore, I wanted to reach out to the RX3 community here for some help and advice to help me make some choices and some of the aspects I am kinda stopped on.

Details of the trip are as follows:

(1) I have decided to go with an RX3 for this 2-up ride due to my wife wanting to come with me (she refuses to get her license and ride her own moto - long story). I know the bike is a little underpowered for this, but it will be alright as long as I can maintain 50-55mph with all the weight and gear. I am not concerned about riding 80-90 mph. The bike is the right size and would work quite well IMO. I have soft panniers and a top box, so the stock stuff I probably will not need. I will most likely upgrade to the better pannier racks that CSC has.

(1.1) Even though the budget is $5,000, I might be able to purchase the bike outright by April 2020; thus having more capitol.

(1.2) I plan to ride a max of 300-350 miles a day due to the stops I wish to see and visits. The day rides would be closer to 350, whiles some days would just be 300 or less. I have read in other blogs that 350 is a good pace. I am thinking to make it across Nebraska, I will have to have a big day of riding there.

I am worried about the heat in the desert as I have not experienced that, so I don't know what to expect. However, enough water and a liquid-cooled engine, I think would be alright.

(2) I have not decided yet if I would purchase a RX3 and have shipped to me to Minnesota, or if I would fly out to CA, buy one, then drive it to the places I want to go, and then drive back to Minnesota. Not sure yet. Still a couple of factors to work out.

If I was to get one, and have it shipped to me in MN, that would add at least 3-5 days travel time.

(3) I plan to take at least 40-days to ride to various places. The places I plan to ride are:

-California (off-road in LA: Santiago Peak, Rowlers Flats; Lee Vining; Back to the Future movie houses; Captiol Records Building; PCH), drive to San Fran (Reyes Point, Tesla), Yositemite Park, Joshua Tree, and a couple of things along the way. Most of the trip would be spent in CA. If the trails are too hard to too much for my skills and level, I would turn back due to having 2-up riding.

-Arizona: Phoenix; the rock crater; grand canyon; page, Az.

-Nevada (around Vegas, minimal off-road); check the area out as I might want to work there.

-Utah (around St. George, Moab (a drive-thru, due to time), Monument Valley, Zion National Park.

-Colorado (Pike's Peak) no off-road.

-Four Corners

-Ship Rock

-St Louis

-Nauvoo (heard it was beautiful)

-Riverside, IA: To see the ENTERPRISE Starship there.

-And ride up to St. Paul, MN (home).

(4) I do have a few of questions for the community. If you would be so kind to answer some or give some helpful advice this might make my decisions a little easier as I plan this out.

-How often did you do your laundry? Every 2-3 days? How many days of clothes would you bring? 2, 3, or 4?

-Did you use the stock tires on the RX3 or switch them out for your ride? I am leaning towards swapping out to IRC GP1's or something similar.

-Did you change out your inner-tubes before the trip? I am leaning out to switch out to HD tubes to avoid breaking-in issues.

-Has anyone tried to waterproof the bike as some people have reported problems when the bike would gets wet? What did you do to waterproof?

-How much drinking water would you carry on your bike or with you?

-What GPS would you recommend?

-What was or is a good sleeping bag which is light and would measure to about 10-degrees? What has worked for you?

-did you use a foam mattress or an air mattress?

-Do you have a recommendation for a light 2-3 person tent?

-Do you stop every 3-4 days for a rest day, or did you continue riding? How did that affect the trip, your back, or other aspects?

-How did you work meals? Did you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner? How much do you think a good budget for a 30-40-day trip would be? Did you try to buy food at a grocery versus fast food and gas stations?

-did you use a mini-gas stove versus a fire? Which did you prefer more?

-What are somethings you would have to worry about when camping? Wolves, bears, theft? Bugs?

-What are three things you recommend bringing or knowing about?

-What would you recommend for a ADV jacket and pants? boots?

Thanks so much if you read until here. I hope to hear what you have experienced to help finish up the plans for my trip.

Also, don't worry, once I am underway, I will post here on CR.net FOR SURE!

Thanks,

Sky.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

"If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Gen. Patton.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2005 Skyteam ST90 (sitting in pieces)
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #2

Welcome Skyteams90, All good questions, here we go:
-How often did you do your laundry? Every 2-3 days? How many days of clothes would you bring? 2, 3, or 4?
EVERY ONE PAKS WAY TO MUCH STUFF WHEN THEY FIRST START OUT TRAVELING BY MOTORCYCLE. REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY THINGS YOU NEED ON THE ROAD HERE IN AMERICA. IF YOU BUY THE UNDIES, SOCKS, AND SHIRTS THAT CAN BE HAND WASHED IN A SINK AND AIR DRY OVERNIGHT HELPS BY ONLY NEEDING 2-3 OF EACH.
-Did you use the stock tires on the RX3 or switch them out for your ride? I am leaning towards swapping out to IRC GP1's or something similar.
STOCK TIRES WERE FINE FOR WHAT I DO. GRAVEL, DIRT ROADS JUST BE CAREFUL AND DON'T RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD.

-Did you change out your inner-tubes before the trip? I am leaning out to switch out to HD tubes to avoid breaking-in issues.
NOPE ONLY HAD 1 FLAT TIRE IN OVER 17,300 MILES AND I PATCHED IT WITH TOOLS I HAD WITH ME. CENTER STAND IS A GOOD ACCESSARY TO BUY FOR THIS REASON AS WELL AS OILING AND ADJUSTING CHAIN

-Has anyone tried to waterproof the bike as some people have reported problems when the bike would gets wet? What did you do to waterproof?
NOPE ,BEEN IN RAIN ALOT THEN RAIN WILL STOP AND BIKE AIR DRIES QUICKLY AT 60 MPH. I'm SURE THERE HAVE BEEN OTHERS WHO GET WET FOR HOURS ON END ALSO BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN SHUT DOWN FROM IT.

VERY IMPORTANT. IF YOUR RIDING IN 100 DEG HEAT YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF MOISTURE PULLED OUT OF YOUR BODY. NEED TO STOP AND DRINK EVERY 30-45 MIN. WHEN I RODE IN 105 DEG HEAT ID STOP EVERY 30 MIN AND RUN WATER IN MY HELMET AND SOAK MY T SHIRT AND IT WAS STILL TORTURE. BOUGHT A COOLING VEST AND THAT HELPED ALOT. BRING AT LEAST 1 LARGE BOTTLE FOR EACH OF YOU AND REFILL IT WHEN YOU STOP FOR A BREAK OR USE A CAMEL BACK TYPE THEN YOU CAN DRINK WHILE RIDING.

GARMIN IF YOUR EVER GOING TO GO TO RALLIES WHERE THEY DOWNLOAD RIDES OR POKER RUNS. ALL RALLIES USE GARMIN. I USE THE CHEAPER 7" SCREEN ONES FOR CARS. THEY ARE NOT WATER PROOF BUT USSUALLY LAST IF I KEEP THEM DRY AND OUT OF THE DUST WITH A ZIP LOCK BAG. MORE IMPORTANT TO KNOW HOW YOURS WORKS THEN BRAND AS IVE USED GARMIN, MAGELLAN, CHEAP $50 CHINA ONE FROM EBAY.
-What was or is a good sleeping bag which is light and would measure to about 10-degrees? What has worked for you?
I HAVE CHEAPER ONE THAT IS 40 DEG RATED AND I CARRY A FLEECE LINER IF IT GETS COLD. JUST LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORCAST WHEN TRAVELING AND IF IT SAYS IT SHOULD BE 80-90 DEG DURING YOUR TRIP IN SUMMER IT USUALLY IS. AGAIN YOU CAN ALWAS BUY A FLEECE LINER IF IT GETS COLD ON YOU. SNUGGLES UP WITH YOUR WIFEY MAKE IT FUNNER TOO.

SELF INFLATING AIR MATTRESS . I HAVE DEGENERATIVE DISK DECEASE IN MY 62 YO BACK AND IT GETS HARDER AND HARDER FOR ME TO SLEEP COMFORTABLY.

I USE A 4 MAN TENT BECAUSE I LIKE TO HAVE A CAMP CHAIR IN IT TO SIT ON AND PUT ON MY BOOTS, ETC ALSO IF IM STAYING IN ONE PLACE FOR A FEW DAYS IT ALLOWS ME TO LEAVE MY PANNIERS IN THE TENT AND THEN I CAN RIDE AROUND DURING THE DAY WITHOUT ALL THE LUGGAGE ON BIKE. WITH 2 OF YOU TRAVELING TOGETHER I THINK A 2-3 MAN TENT WOULD BE A PAIN, TOO SMALL. ALSO KNOW THE AREAS YOU WILL BE CAMPING IN BECAUSE NOT ALL OF THEM ARE NICE GREEN GRASS WITH SOFT DIRT TO PUT THE TENT PEGS INTO. IF YOUR CAMPING ON ROCK OR RIVER BED WITH BIG ROCKS IN THE DIRT ITS VERY HARD TO GET THE TENT PEGS IN. SO YOU MAY WANT A SELF STANDING TENT THAT WILL STAND BY ITSELF WITHOUT ROPES AND PEGS.

-Do you stop every 3-4 days for a rest day, or did you continue riding? How did that affect the trip, your back, or other aspects?
YES, AFTER RIDING EVERYDAY FOR A WEEK OR SO I NEED TO STOP FOR A DAY OR TWO REST, WASH CLOTHES, CHECK BIKE, JUST ENJOY THE SCENERY OR EVENT CAUSE RIDING A CYCLE DOES GET TIRING. MY NECK AND BACK GET PRETTY TIGHT AND SORE. ADVIL IS YOUR FRIEND. IF I KNOW ILL BE RIDING A LONG DAY , I WILL POP A FEW ADVIL OR IBUPROPHIN BEFORE I START SO HOPEFULLY IT TAKES THE EDGE OFF AND I WONT CRY.

-How did you work meals? Did you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner? How much do you think a good budget for a 30-40-day trip would be? Did you try to buy food at a grocery versus fast food and gas stations?
IVE HEARD OF BUDGETS OF $50 A DAY IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES AND $100-$125 IN USA.
I JUST USUALLY EAT AT PLACES ALONG THE WAY OR AT THE RALLIES PROVIDED FOOD VENDERS. PACKING A STOVE, FUEL BOTTLE AND FOOD IS A PAIN AND TAKES ALOT OF ROOM UP ON THE BIKE. IM ON VACATION , AND DON'T LIKE TO COOK . PART OF THE BEST THING OF TRAVELING BY CYCLE IS THE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN THE FOOD PLACES, CYCLE SHOPS ,ETC. DEFINATELY NO FOOD , CANDY ,GUM, DEODERANT, PERFUME OR ANYTHING WITH A SCENT IF IN BEAR COUNTRY.

-did you use a mini-gas stove versus a fire? Which did you prefer more? I HAVE A LITTLE MINI STOVE AND THINK ITS WAY MORE CONVIENENT THEN A FIRE. BUT NOT AS CONVIENENT AS A MCDONALDS, ETC. ALSO WITH ALL THE FOREST FIRES WE'VE BEEN HAVING IN THE PAST 10 YEARS ALOT OF CAMPS WON'T ALLOW OPEN PIT FIRES.

-What are somethings you would have to worry about when camping? Wolves, bears, theft? Bugs?
NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH ANY OF THESE THINGS. MOSQUITOES CAN BE ANNOYING. DONT LEAVE YOUR TENT SCREEN OPEN FOR THEM TO FLY ON IN AND PESTER YOU ALL NIGHT. IF YOU CAN, ALWAYS CAMP NEAR RV AND OTHER CAMPERS AND THE ANIMALS USUALLY STAY AWAY. LISTEN TO THE PARK RANGERS OR HOST AND IF THEY TELL YOU THERES DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE AREA GET A CABIN OR MOTEL.

-What are three things you recommend bringing or knowing about? YOUR GIRL, YOUR BIKE, A MAP AND YOUR GOOD TO GO. EVERYTHING ELSE CAN BE BOUGHTEN ALONG THE WAY,

IF YOUR GOING TO BE IN HIGHER ELEVATION WITH COLD TEMPS, I USE MY JACKET AND A WIND BRAKER OVER IT TO KEEP THE WIND, RAIN OUT. LIKE IT TO HAVE ALOT OF POCKETS TO PUT STUFF IN AND A HEATED VEST HOOKED UP TO THE BIKE AND HEATED GRIPS. WATERPROOF PANTS TO GO OVER RIDING PANTS OR REGULAR PANTS. I HAVE BATES BOOTS THAT LOOK LIKE SIDE ZIP UP POLICE BOOTS, THICK SOCKS. YOU CAN BUY VERY EXPENSIVE RIDING GEAR AND IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT. ON MY BUDGET I BUY WHAT WORKS AND IS AFFORDABLE.
ON HOT TRIPS I USE REGULAR PANTS, BOOTS OR TENNIS SHOES, WINDBREAKER
. I KNOW WE SHOULD ALWAYS BE ATGATT BUT IF ITS HOT AND YOU CAN BARELY STAY AWAKE AND YOU CAN'T STOP BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE SOMEWHERE THEN I DRESS WITH WHATEVER MAKES ME COMFORTABLE. ALWAYS HAVE ON PANTS AND LONG SLEEVES SO YOU DON'T GET SUNBURNED. A HAT IS GREAT FOR US BALD PEOPLE. ALSO KEEPS HEAD WARM AT NIGHT IF IT'S COOL OUT.

TAKE ALL THIS FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH. ITS WORKED FOR ME ON MANY TRIPS TO CANADA, BAJA MEXICO, GRAND CANYON, ALASKA ,MOAB, COLUMBIAN RIVER GORGE, HELLS CANYON AND A 1000 MILE CERTIFIED IRON BUTT ON MY RX3. MOST IMPORTAN IS TO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR WIFE AND BE FLEXABLE WITH YOUR SCHEDULE BECAUSE UNFORSEEN THINGS CAN HAPPEN. RJ

Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Hmmmmm, all I can say is wow! If you are in Nebraska, stop and see Megadan in Omaha, in CA 2LZ has an rx3 and stop and see him. If you get thru Idaho, we have ten acres, and a free shower, shop for maintenance, fresh farm eggs, delicious tomatoes, etc. Since I am originally from Montana, a trip thru Glacier park is gorgeous, and don't forget Yellowstone park. The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WY. is unbelievable, and a must see. Also, get your concealed firearms permit, and take some training. We have had wolves and cats come into our campsite. Pepper spray is also a must.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Alot of questions there!

Do you know what you're planning on taking? 2 up plus cooking and camping equipment is a lot of shit. 100% possible but I'd seriously consider hopping between hotels. Also consider a couple of hammocks if you're going to be camping in wooded areas. If you are set on camping, I'd seriously consider the hobo life - 2-3 days for boxers, 2 for socks, week+ for shirts (smell test everything). Pm me and i can send you some pics of my bike, i can suggest a few ways to eek out more luggage space for free/cheap.

I always try to carry enough water for 2 days on the bike (4l), maybe just 6l with 2. I go to remote places though where you only see a handful of people in a day, if you're on the beaten track it's less important.

Also, riding on trails 2up can be ok but anything other than "smooth" dirt roads won't be a huge amount of fun for either of you. Riding on pavement is obviously much more comfortable but you'll probably find yourself wishing for more HP, particularly at altitude and going up mountains. Though, smooth dirt can be good fun 2up.

300 M per day 2up is a good amount on pavement, its alot for off road. Sometimes i ride a everyday for a week, sometimes a road will ruin you after 2 days and you have to rest. It is a "skill", and does increase quite slowly so for the first couple of weeks you will probably want a rest every 2 days.

My bike has crossed 60cm deep rivers and ridden through torrential rain without any problems, i think it's waterproof enough.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

RX3 trip

Thanks so much for posting. This gave me a lot of answers I was looking for in regards to preparing for my trip. I like the idea of a 4-man tent and using a chair in there for extra comfort and getting ready. The mattress bit helped me as well, as I am 42 and have back issues as well.

Once I get closer I will post more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Welcome Skyteams90, All good questions, here we go:
EVERY ONE PAKS WAY TO MUCH STUFF WHEN THEY FIRST START OUT TRAVELING BY MOTORCYCLE. REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY THINGS YOU NEED ON THE ROAD HERE IN AMERICA. IF YOU BUY THE UNDIES, SOCKS, AND SHIRTS THAT CAN BE HAND WASHED IN A SINK AND AIR DRY OVERNIGHT HELPS BY ONLY NEEDING 2-3 OF EACH.
STOCK TIRES WERE FINE FOR WHAT I DO. GRAVEL, DIRT ROADS JUST BE CAREFUL AND DON'T RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD.

NOPE ONLY HAD 1 FLAT TIRE IN OVER 17,300 MILES AND I PATCHED IT WITH TOOLS I HAD WITH ME. CENTER STAND IS A GOOD ACCESSARY TO BUY FOR THIS REASON AS WELL AS OILING AND ADJUSTING CHAIN

NOPE ,BEEN IN RAIN ALOT THEN RAIN WILL STOP AND BIKE AIR DRIES QUICKLY AT 60 MPH. I'm SURE THERE HAVE BEEN OTHERS WHO GET WET FOR HOURS ON END ALSO BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN SHUT DOWN FROM IT.

VERY IMPORTANT. IF YOUR RIDING IN 100 DEG HEAT YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF MOISTURE PULLED OUT OF YOUR BODY. NEED TO STOP AND DRINK EVERY 30-45 MIN. WHEN I RODE IN 105 DEG HEAT ID STOP EVERY 30 MIN AND RUN WATER IN MY HELMET AND SOAK MY T SHIRT AND IT WAS STILL TORTURE. BOUGHT A COOLING VEST AND THAT HELPED ALOT. BRING AT LEAST 1 LARGE BOTTLE FOR EACH OF YOU AND REFILL IT WHEN YOU STOP FOR A BREAK OR USE A CAMEL BACK TYPE THEN YOU CAN DRINK WHILE RIDING.

GARMIN IF YOUR EVER GOING TO GO TO RALLIES WHERE THEY DOWNLOAD RIDES OR POKER RUNS. ALL RALLIES USE GARMIN. I USE THE CHEAPER 7" SCREEN ONES FOR CARS. THEY ARE NOT WATER PROOF BUT USSUALLY LAST IF I KEEP THEM DRY AND OUT OF THE DUST WITH A ZIP LOCK BAG. MORE IMPORTANT TO KNOW HOW YOURS WORKS THEN BRAND AS IVE USED GARMIN, MAGELLAN, CHEAP $50 CHINA ONE FROM EBAY.
I HAVE CHEAPER ONE THAT IS 40 DEG RATED AND I CARRY A FLEECE LINER IF IT GETS COLD. JUST LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORCAST WHEN TRAVELING AND IF IT SAYS IT SHOULD BE 80-90 DEG DURING YOUR TRIP IN SUMMER IT USUALLY IS. AGAIN YOU CAN ALWAS BUY A FLEECE LINER IF IT GETS COLD ON YOU. SNUGGLES UP WITH YOUR WIFEY MAKE IT FUNNER TOO.

SELF INFLATING AIR MATTRESS . I HAVE DEGENERATIVE DISK DECEASE IN MY 62 YO BACK AND IT GETS HARDER AND HARDER FOR ME TO SLEEP COMFORTABLY.

I USE A 4 MAN TENT BECAUSE I LIKE TO HAVE A CAMP CHAIR IN IT TO SIT ON AND PUT ON MY BOOTS, ETC ALSO IF IM STAYING IN ONE PLACE FOR A FEW DAYS IT ALLOWS ME TO LEAVE MY PANNIERS IN THE TENT AND THEN I CAN RIDE AROUND DURING THE DAY WITHOUT ALL THE LUGGAGE ON BIKE. WITH 2 OF YOU TRAVELING TOGETHER I THINK A 2-3 MAN TENT WOULD BE A PAIN, TOO SMALL. ALSO KNOW THE AREAS YOU WILL BE CAMPING IN BECAUSE NOT ALL OF THEM ARE NICE GREEN GRASS WITH SOFT DIRT TO PUT THE TENT PEGS INTO. IF YOUR CAMPING ON ROCK OR RIVER BED WITH BIG ROCKS IN THE DIRT ITS VERY HARD TO GET THE TENT PEGS IN. SO YOU MAY WANT A SELF STANDING TENT THAT WILL STAND BY ITSELF WITHOUT ROPES AND PEGS.

YES, AFTER RIDING EVERYDAY FOR A WEEK OR SO I NEED TO STOP FOR A DAY OR TWO REST, WASH CLOTHES, CHECK BIKE, JUST ENJOY THE SCENERY OR EVENT CAUSE RIDING A CYCLE DOES GET TIRING. MY NECK AND BACK GET PRETTY TIGHT AND SORE. ADVIL IS YOUR FRIEND. IF I KNOW ILL BE RIDING A LONG DAY , I WILL POP A FEW ADVIL OR IBUPROPHIN BEFORE I START SO HOPEFULLY IT TAKES THE EDGE OFF AND I WONT CRY.

IVE HEARD OF BUDGETS OF $50 A DAY IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES AND $100-$125 IN USA.
I JUST USUALLY EAT AT PLACES ALONG THE WAY OR AT THE RALLIES PROVIDED FOOD VENDERS. PACKING A STOVE, FUEL BOTTLE AND FOOD IS A PAIN AND TAKES ALOT OF ROOM UP ON THE BIKE. IM ON VACATION , AND DON'T LIKE TO COOK . PART OF THE BEST THING OF TRAVELING BY CYCLE IS THE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN THE FOOD PLACES, CYCLE SHOPS ,ETC. DEFINATELY NO FOOD , CANDY ,GUM, DEODERANT, PERFUME OR ANYTHING WITH A SCENT IF IN BEAR COUNTRY.

-did you use a mini-gas stove versus a fire? Which did you prefer more? I HAVE A LITTLE MINI STOVE AND THINK ITS WAY MORE CONVIENENT THEN A FIRE. BUT NOT AS CONVIENENT AS A MCDONALDS, ETC. ALSO WITH ALL THE FOREST FIRES WE'VE BEEN HAVING IN THE PAST 10 YEARS ALOT OF CAMPS WON'T ALLOW OPEN PIT FIRES.

NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH ANY OF THESE THINGS. MOSQUITOES CAN BE ANNOYING. DONT LEAVE YOUR TENT SCREEN OPEN FOR THEM TO FLY ON IN AND PESTER YOU ALL NIGHT. IF YOU CAN, ALWAYS CAMP NEAR RV AND OTHER CAMPERS AND THE ANIMALS USUALLY STAY AWAY. LISTEN TO THE PARK RANGERS OR HOST AND IF THEY TELL YOU THERES DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE AREA GET A CABIN OR MOTEL.

-What are three things you recommend bringing or knowing about? YOUR GIRL, YOUR BIKE, A MAP AND YOUR GOOD TO GO. EVERYTHING ELSE CAN BE BOUGHTEN ALONG THE WAY,

IF YOUR GOING TO BE IN HIGHER ELEVATION WITH COLD TEMPS, I USE MY JACKET AND A WIND BRAKER OVER IT TO KEEP THE WIND, RAIN OUT. LIKE IT TO HAVE ALOT OF POCKETS TO PUT STUFF IN AND A HEATED VEST HOOKED UP TO THE BIKE AND HEATED GRIPS. WATERPROOF PANTS TO GO OVER RIDING PANTS OR REGULAR PANTS. I HAVE BATES BOOTS THAT LOOK LIKE SIDE ZIP UP POLICE BOOTS, THICK SOCKS. YOU CAN BUY VERY EXPENSIVE RIDING GEAR AND IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT. ON MY BUDGET I BUY WHAT WORKS AND IS AFFORDABLE.
ON HOT TRIPS I USE REGULAR PANTS, BOOTS OR TENNIS SHOES, WINDBREAKER
. I KNOW WE SHOULD ALWAYS BE ATGATT BUT IF ITS HOT AND YOU CAN BARELY STAY AWAKE AND YOU CAN'T STOP BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE SOMEWHERE THEN I DRESS WITH WHATEVER MAKES ME COMFORTABLE. ALWAYS HAVE ON PANTS AND LONG SLEEVES SO YOU DON'T GET SUNBURNED. A HAT IS GREAT FOR US BALD PEOPLE. ALSO KEEPS HEAD WARM AT NIGHT IF IT'S COOL OUT.

TAKE ALL THIS FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH. ITS WORKED FOR ME ON MANY TRIPS TO CANADA, BAJA MEXICO, GRAND CANYON, ALASKA ,MOAB, COLUMBIAN RIVER GORGE, HELLS CANYON AND A 1000 MILE CERTIFIED IRON BUTT ON MY RX3. MOST IMPORTAN IS TO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR WIFE AND BE FLEXABLE WITH YOUR SCHEDULE BECAUSE UNFORSEEN THINGS CAN HAPPEN. RJ

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #6

RX3 trip

Wedoit -

I didn't consider stopping to see folks, but now that you mention that, I will consider that. I did not realize the famous MEGADAN is there in NE. Sweet.

I will have to reach out to 2LZ when I am in CA and see if we can meet.

IDAHO: Oh man, I would love to. This orgignal trip just stopping at the places I have planned in CA are alot. That is what is taking the most stuff is the CA leg of the trip. Then a few places in Utah. I have family in Southern ID and would love to get there. Its a little further north, as my furthest north was Salt Lake. However, if i was able to figure a way to get to ID, then I would def get you on my travel.

You had me at 10-acres, eggs, and shop.

Glacier park is awesome, I did not have the planned for this trip. My intial thought was to do the SouthWest (CA, NV, UT, NM), then trip #2 do NW (OR, WA, MT, ID, etc). I will post here once I have things figured out more.

I am still figuing about the RX3 or a differnent bike. Its between a RX3 or a Royal Enfield INT650.

Cody, WY: I have been there when I was a kid. It would be great to get out there again.

Concealed: That is a good idea. I didn't really consider that.

Pepper Spray has been added to my list - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Hmmmmm, all I can say is wow! If you are in Nebraska, stop and see Megadan in Omaha, in CA 2LZ has an rx3 and stop and see him. If you get thru Idaho, we have ten acres, and a free shower, shop for maintenance, fresh farm eggs, delicious tomatoes, etc. Since I am originally from Montana, a trip thru Glacier park is gorgeous, and don't forget Yellowstone park. The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WY. is unbelievable, and a must see. Also, get your concealed firearms permit, and take some training. We have had wolves and cats come into our campsite. Pepper spray is also a must.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

RX3 trip

Hi there -

Thanks for posting your ideas and feedback.

I don't know 100% what I am taking just yet. I am in the process of purchasing all the gear I think I will need, then place it all on the bike, and see what I can take off, and leave. That is the plan for now.

If I was to do cooking, it would be a tiny little stove. Maybe those cooking tablet kind. I do have one of those, but some campsites people cannot use fire. So, a little tiny gas stove would have to be used.

Hotels: That would be ideal, however, at $50-$100 / night on the low end, to use every night would be nearly $3,000 in cost for me. I don't know if I totally have that, otherwise, I would have to save a little more money.

Hammacks: I have considered that as they are lighter and smaller in space. I will consider it and see if I can make it work. However, the wife will probably want to sleep in a sleeping bag next to me.

Luggage space: Sure send me some pics. I will PM you. Thanks!

Water: I will be going through the desert in a couple of places and some out in the bonnies areas. Thanks for the tip.

2-UP riding: I know the RX3 is underpowered at 25hp. That is a huge downside to the bike, but there are other positives of the bike which are good. My main issue has just been to be able to do better than 50-55mph which is what my BASHAN - STORM can do. So, the RX3 which can do better than 55mph and cruise at 70'ish, would be find. However, the lack of power going up and down the hills and mountains will be a problem. BUT - thats all part of the adventure.

REST: Thanks for pointing out the every 2-days. Dang. I did not consider that, and have tried to find out blogs and posts which have not been easy to find which talks about that. Keep in mind - THIS IS MY FIRST TRIP.

Waterproofing: Thanks for your comment. I will not have to worry too much.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenselessOverloadi View Post
Alot of questions there!

Do you know what you're planning on taking? 2 up plus cooking and camping equipment is a lot of shit. 100% possible but I'd seriously consider hopping between hotels. Also consider a couple of hammocks if you're going to be camping in wooded areas. If you are set on camping, I'd seriously consider the hobo life - 2-3 days for boxers, 2 for socks, week+ for shirts (smell test everything). Pm me and i can send you some pics of my bike, i can suggest a few ways to eek out more luggage space for free/cheap.

I always try to carry enough water for 2 days on the bike (4l), maybe just 6l with 2. I go to remote places though where you only see a handful of people in a day, if you're on the beaten track it's less important.

Also, riding on trails 2up can be ok but anything other than "smooth" dirt roads won't be a huge amount of fun for either of you. Riding on pavement is obviously much more comfortable but you'll probably find yourself wishing for more HP, particularly at altitude and going up mountains. Though, smooth dirt can be good fun 2up.

300 M per day 2up is a good amount on pavement, its alot for off road. Sometimes i ride a everyday for a week, sometimes a road will ruin you after 2 days and you have to rest. It is a "skill", and does increase quite slowly so for the first couple of weeks you will probably want a rest every 2 days.

My bike has crossed 60cm deep rivers and ridden through torrential rain without any problems, i think it's waterproof enough.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #8

One suggestion, if Nauvoo isn't on the way, and you aren't Mormon, I'd give it a miss. I'm originally from about 40 miles away, and you won't see anything (outside of Nauvoo's Mormon/LDS history) that you wouldn't see by riding up Missouri Route 79.

I prefer 79 myself, and it ends in Hannibal, Mo, which has some cool Mark Twain history, and if you like good BBQ, there's a place called Fatback's in Quincy (North West from Hannibal, but across the river) that I highly recommend.

Oh, and for a GPS, I'd just use a smart phone and have a charger on the bike. I'd get one of these:https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...w-x-grip-mount
and check this site out: https://www.dualadventure.com/navigation-setup