Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #1

Headlight Dims When Braking

I have a LF200GY-2 manufactured in March 2006. Curious that my headlight dims when I brake and stays dim when the brakes are released. I have read the post where the headlight brightens when brakes are applied but mine does the opposite. It does not seem to be a pure load issue since the headlight stays dim when I release the brake. Is this a common problem?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Does one of the brake light switches maybe stick when applied? That plus a weak battery would explain the symptom.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #3

Re: Headlight Dims When Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCastleman
I have a LF200GY-2 manufactured in March 2006. Curious that my headlight dims when I brake and stays dim when the brakes are released. I have read the post where the headlight brightens when brakes are applied but mine does the opposite. It does not seem to be a pure load issue since the headlight stays dim when I release the brake. Is this a common problem?
Welcome to the forums. No, I do not believe this is a common problem. Other than a stuck switch, I can't think of another cause. However, I am sure others will soon offer some good ideas.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Bad battery is my guess, Or bad connections at the battery or behind the light.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #5

Bad battery or maybe a bad regulator. The alternator should be able to provide enough voltage to maintain the headlight when the throttle is released (and the brake is applied), but perhaps the regulator isn't conditioning the power like it should.

Since you said that the headlight fails to return to a bright state upon releasing the brake, I'd start with the battery. What is the battery voltage at rest and when running?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #6

Measure the battery voltage after a good run when it should be fully charged. It should read 12.5 or 12.6 volts with everything switched off. Turn on a heavy-ish consumer like a brake light (21w), and the voltage shouldn't drop below 12 volts. If it does the battery is sulphated and has a high internal resistance and can not hold a charge.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #7

Might be the battery

Thanks all for the replies. Good community here for these bikes considering the parts availability, product standards, etc. I just bought the bike used ($900 with 285 miles or maybe kilometers?) and it might have a weak battery. I hooked it up to a battery charger last night and the symptom went away. I will let it charge fully and report back. I bought a battery maintainer and wired a permanent connector to the battey so I could keep the battery in better shape. I do this on my other bike as well.

By the way I read somewhere that that some of these bikes have a KM odometer and a speedometer in MPH. I will compare a known distance for mine and verify.

I do not really care for the bright blue color of this bike so I was considering camo paint or a wrap like Camoclad. I am not very artistic so the Camoclad my be better for me. Does anyone have a link to pictures of a bike using the Camoclad product? I can get a 4ft by 5ft sheet for under $80. Might make a Ducks Unlimited Special Edition!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #8

Here you go:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ighlight=honda

Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #9

My GY2 reads in MPH speed and Kilometers on the odo.

Allen