Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Rhino 250 vs Coolster 150 DX-2

Hi guys! First post here been lurking for a few weeks looking around. Been looking at a quad for myself and have been eyeballing the Rhino 250 from Tao Tao. About 6 weeks ago bought two for the kids from SPS and was a good experience(shipped in 2 days and delivered exception free on the 8th day from purchase.

My boy who is 9.5 y/o and 5' tall got the Camo green Coolster 150 DX2. I'm curious if the 150cc and the 250cc(200) have different chassis or are they the exact physical dimensions? Just thinking I can get around better on some of our hills in the woods on our property(+50cc).

Thanks guys for your input in advance!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Welcome! I'm glad you got site registration sorted out. Perhaps Rhino / Coolster owners will chime in soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! I'm glad you got site registration sorted out. Perhaps Rhino / Coolster owners will chime in soon.
Thanks! Yea was having trouble with the hot link on the email. But finally got it figured out.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #4

Welcome!
I have a Rhiino and will probably buy a Coolster for the Mrs. I like having an automatic trans in the stall for our hill. The Rhino works great with the manual clutch but it needs to be gear shorter-legged for the working mule we're requiring.
I'm looking forward to your comments on both!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

got two coolster 3150 dx2 quads for the Mrs and me. I havent been off the property yet but I'm 6'2" 225lb and these things move me around with no problems. They seem well put together and hard to beat for the price. Love the auto trans also. We plan on using them on the trails.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

I finally got to take my Rhino out ... did good. Very solid... the mods on here take it to another level. Handled pulling a trailer with 350lbs of gear plus my 210lbs. Took all but one of the big hills (rutted real bad with roots sticking out.. Is a complex winching situation.. need more straps and a pulley. about a 35 degree climb .... But that's another story.)

Overall it did really well on the four day trip in the woods. Don't regret the purchase.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I finally got to take my Rhino out ... did good. Very solid... the mods on here take it to another level. Handled pulling a trailer with 350lbs of gear plus my 210lbs. Took all but one of the big hills (rutted real bad with roots sticking out.. Is a complex winching situation.. need more straps and a pulley. about a 35 degree climb .... But that's another story.)

Overall it did really well on the four day trip in the woods. Don't regret the purchase.
That's right.... Didn't you gear yours real stubby?

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Yeah the gearing is in all torque mode. (smallest in the front, biggest in the back) Shifted it to third gear which was plenty fast enough. No clue what the top speed is in fourth yet, but doesn't seem I sacrificed too much speed for torque. Decent amount of pulling power with that gear set. It's a true utility ATV now.

Forgot to take some pics of it in the wild but will on the next trip. Someone in my group might of popped a pic though. Will see.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Yeah the gearing is in all torque mode. (smallest in the front, biggest in the back) Shifted it to third gear which was plenty fast enough. No clue what the top speed is in fourth yet, but doesn't seem I sacrificed too much speed for torque. Decent amount of pulling power with that gear set. It's a true utility ATV now.

Forgot to take some pics of it in the wild but will on the next trip. Someone in my group might of popped a pic though. Will see.
How small did you go on the front???? It's a beefy chain and it looks like it's already about as small as it can get.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

11t in the front and 37t in the rear. Yeah your not gonna get any smaller then 11t in the front. Just clears the bolt head. Had to file down the keeper clip to clear.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #11

I have two Coolster DX-150's. One is the black camo, and the other is the green camo. I have the no experience with the Rhino..so really can't comment on those, but have read alot of good things on those.
I can tell you that my experience with Coolster DX-2's have been a positive experience. The GY6 engine is a real beast of an engine for its size and the simplicity of the ATV itself makes it a real easy to wrench on if needed, but honestly the two I own and the one my brother owns have been real dependable and the only real wrenching we have done is just tinkering and not due to any failures.
I am 6'2 and 240lbs and my brother is 275lbs and we have no trouble going wherever we wish to go in the timber. We ride with other guys that have large Honda's, Yamaha, Polaris machines and we all ride thru the same ditches, hills and hollers. We use our ATV's mainly for hunting or just light trail riding, but we have had the Coolsters in a few rough spots and they perform just fine.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #12

Looks like it will be either a tree camo or green camo Rhino for me. Was riding my boys DX2 out in the front of our property trying to make it up the hill to the road. Could smell the belt in the CVT tranny slipping. Is that belt junk in there or the springs in the clutch be changed to say 1500rpm? It's a bone stock unit besides switching to a NGK plug, Royal Purple oil and reversing the rear wheels for a wider stance out back(stability).

BTW I'm 6'1" and like 265 lbs. Thinking that 50cc and manual tranny will be better suited for my frame.

What's your all thoughts on Killer Motorsports? My boy and girls Coolster's were purchased through Superior Powersports and was a great transaction. Shipped in two days And had them delivered in 4 more business days. But they don't have the tree camo in stock and my boy already has the green camo DX2.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #13

If you can smell burning rubber then it's the belt. Once the belt gets shot your on borrowed time until it goes completely. I used to change the belt on my minibikes CVT every season. When the new one was put on you could see the wear. Depending on the load the life span will vary.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #14

I ordered one Coolster DX2 from Power Sports Max and the last two from Killer motorsports. Both places were smooth transactions. All three took around 7 to 10 days delivered

Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckangaroo70 View Post
I ordered one Coolster DX2 from Power Sports Max and the last two from Killer motorsports. Both places were smooth transactions. All three took around 7 to 10 days delivered
What carrier delivered the atv's from your Killer Motorsports? When I bought the kids their quads from SPS out of Cali it was R&L Carriers and came damage free.

Thanks!