Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Tranny Change

I bought a Runmaster/Kinroad Enduro back in July 2008. I've only got about 30 miles on it cause I hate how all the gears must be shifted down. I've about went over the handle bars thinking I was going through the gears.

Its a great looking bike but I don't like the shift pattern, can I get another gearbox that'll shift 1 down and 5 up for it?

SgtWalleye

Old 02-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

Having had gearboxes apart and changed a 6 speed for a 5 speed box,it should be possible. It would be easier to swap motors complete. If you've good mechanical skills read on, find exploded diagrams of both gearboxes (not an easy task), carefully compare them also compare the crank cases. When you're confident the two are similar enough jump in and take the motor to bits, I have a feeling that you might get away with a selector drum and selector forks, but you won't know until it's all apart and the bits are in front of you.

Jonathan.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #3

You have pics of you engine? Might be helpful for us to better ID the model.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Runmaster/Kinroad kind of do their own thing, and I am not sure it is always good. I don't think I could get used to a different pattern.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I don't think I could get used to a different pattern.
You get "used" to what you want to get used to. Many of us "old poops" started with hand shifts, well, ok, I am pulling your leg a little bit (not being that old), but how about a right hand foot gear change? Yes, once upon a time, ALL bikes had the gear change lever on the right side (brake on the left). At the time of the changeover we all wondered how we could possibly get used to it. First bike I owned with a left hand gear change was a Triumph Trident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Roc...riumph_Trident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1976_Trident_T160.JPG

BTW: Ice racers, and Speedway bikes (with a transmission) still use a right hand foot shift today, as you are leaned to the left while racing.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

My buddy has a 1969 BSA 441 Victor. Rear brake is left foot, shifter is right foot. I'm a bright guy and it makes me nuts when I ride that old Beezer! If I rode it enough, I'd adapt, or blow the tranny. One or the other.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #7

A very good friend of mine begged me to allow him to ride my JPS. He was used to Japanese motorcycles (left shift), and was taking it easy, until a woman backed out of a driveway in front of him. Naturally he went for the brake, changed up a gear, scared him, and he went to lay it down. The bike, instead of laying down, turned. 180 degrees later, and heading the other way, he brought it back, shaking his head, wondering why Japanese motorcycles didn't handle like that. Shifting with the left is something I have to think about, and to this day I don't use the rear brake as much as I should, finding it unnatural to brake with your right foot.

That Triumph I linked to had a left shift, whose shaft ran through the engine, from right to left. Being something "new", that shaft broke at 400 miles, in the middle of nowhere (Sudbury Ontario), and sat at the dealer there for 6 months, waiting for a replacement warranty part from Triumph (who was on strike). I sold it soon after it was fixed.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #8

You guys are making my point

TheRealWorld wrote:
I don't think I could get used to a different pattern.