Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

5000 km update

I was cruising down the interstate today on my way home from work and noticed I just hit the 5000km mark on the odometer. As I was screaming down I94 at 70mph, throttle pinned wide open, it really hit me how absolutely amazing my bike is! Just wanted to share my very positive story of how a little china bike has really helped my out.

I moved to a new city (Milwaukee) about 8 months ago. I had gone through a rough break-up with my long time girlfriend and was laid off from my job around the same time. I packed all of my belongings in my car and headed for Milwaukee. A good friend of mine had a place for me to sleep and some potential jobs to check out, so I hit the road and didn't look back. I was in need of a fresh start. Shortly after I arrived in Milwaukee my car took a crap. It wasn't worth fixing so I sold it off to the first bidder for $300. My goal was to scrape together all the money I had and along with the $300 I would buy a beater car to get around.

Then I stumbled across my china bike on craigslist. I made a bold move and bought the bike instead of a car, since I could ride the bike right up until the first snowfall. It took a lot of tinkering, adjusting, ebay ordering, and some smashed knuckles, but I got the little 200cc up and running like new. I gave it a fresh paint job to make it my own and have never looked back. I take it down the interstate at 70mph, run it around town, and have even taken some adventure trips on it. Pouring rain or warm and sunny, I gear up and ride. And it never disagrees. I just hit the start button and go. It is my only transportation right now and it has never failed me!

A lot of the work I put into it was with the backing of all of you on here! Thanks!

I've landed a full time job and an apartment. I have saved up enough to buy a car for winter. It has all worked out and I couldn't have done it without my little chinese enduro. Just goes to show you that these bikes are very capable, and in my case, very dependable. $400 for the bike, about $100 in parts, and the rest was just my time in the garage.

China bikes officially rock!! I love telling people how it's such a great little bike that only cost $400. They can't believe it, especially if they take it for a spin. Nothing but smiles when they return. For a lot of people it reminds them of the old days when bikes were simple and basic.

I have a real hard time listening to anyone who bashes chinese motorcycles. They may not be for everyone, but they are very respectable machines!!

Thanks for letting me ramble!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

That's a good story. Probably time to be putting the bike up in WI.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

Excellent news! I'm pleased to hear that your China bike provided a silver lining to an otherwise tough time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #4

Only 5000km!! I'm still grinning ear to ear after 25,000 km.

Jonathan.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Yours is a wonderful, and inspiring story; thank you so very much for sharing it with us.

Indeed, these are wonderful little motorcycles; they offer an exceptional value that is becoming increasingly rare in Western society.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing your story.

God is great.

Chinabikes are pretty cool too. 8)

Pretty hard core riding in your neck of the woods till the first snow!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
…Pretty hard core riding in your neck of the woods till the first snow!
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
…God is great. …
Double Amen!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #8

When I was much younger, I had my main source of tranportation break down on me. It was no problem as I had just gotten a Susuki 750. 20,000 miles later I got my truck fixed. The motorcycle just was'nt fun after that.

I am not too far from starting on my 3rd year with my China bke. It was bought purely for entertainment as a result I still enjoy going for a spin around the lake or to the auto parts store etc.

Glad you made it thru the tougher times and still enjoy the bike. You will get even more rewards from it in the future I am sure.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #9

Good story These bikes are for down to earth people with a good mind. No moron can buy one and have it end well. Your story proves that.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #10

I bought my Qlink XP200 precisely to recapture just a little of that feeling of the TL250 I grew up riding in my teens and the TS185 I had in my early college years. The TS I bought for $75. Once you are successful and settle down with a family you'll forget the hardships and want to re-live those "glory days". Life has a way of making you want to leave the comforts of a successful life and go back to the times when you had to struggle to live. When it comes down to it, its all about remembering how good you've got it NOW because it could always be worse.

So I tip my glass to the little chinabike and to you for taking a crappy situation and not being afraid to jump right in and make a big change. If life has taught me anything it's that sooner or later change always leads to something better.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #11

Woot! glad to hear you're doing well! 8)

Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Good story These bikes are for down to earth people with a good mind. No moron can buy one and have it end well. Your story proves that.
We need the moron's to sell us perfectly good bikes easily repairable bikes for cheap.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #13

Hi guys, just wanted to post an update. Still riding the chinabike almost every day. Weather has been pretty decent around here...mostly 50 degrees and not much rain. I actually like the cooler riding weather. For me, 40 degrees and clear roads is a great day to ride. I have snowmobile gear to use, so temp isn't really an issue for me.

I will hang it up soon, but I have promised a friend of mine that we will go for a snow ride. This guy is absolutely hilarious and is MY HERO!!! He rides his Goldwing year round!!!! He fits it with snow tires and rides in anything!!! No way I could chicken out. If he can do it on a giant touring bike, my little enduro with knobbies with sure as hell be out there too!!

Again, thanks to everyone here who has helped out!!! And RIDE RIDE RIDE!!!! Commute on a motorcycle and save some gas!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #14

So cool! Been a long time since I was on a snow ride . Though a Goldwing in the snow pretty much terrifies me! Ride safe.