Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 08-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Hawk NJ

I am trying to purchase a Hawk 250 and wanted to know if anyone had luck at dmv in NJ. I found the NJ approved list but cant seem to find Hawk unless it is under the Chinese name on the MSO/MCO like most of them on this list.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...ufacturers.pdf

Old 08-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Welcome! I think we have Hawk-owner members in your area; perhaps they will chime in soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

HI Hase, I was equally concerned with purchasing a Hawk. NJ always seems to be second in line when it comes to EPA regulations next Cal. I looked and looked and looked, I know 1399.00 sounds really attractive but what good is it if you want to put it on the road. I opted for the Bashan BS250gy18 c, one because the engine is equipped with the air injection system,(you can see the two bolt connection right next to the spark plug wire). Two it has a kiehin carb, three it has a cat converter the size of a small baking potatoe. This all adds up to a bike that doesn't have any exhaust smell at all. It cost me 1629.00 to my door. The etailer claims a 49 state legal statis. I hope helps you decide, good luck

Old 09-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Isn't it 'Haosen' or something like that?

Here they are.

http://www.haosenmotor.com/

/

Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Good advice for unknown states in not buying an unknown bike. There are actually reputable dealers who will not ship bikes to states that won't register them. Of course, some of those dealers found out the hard way, and had to exchange bikes that their customer could register. A very good dealer to ask for NJ legality is ASPCUSA mentioned on a few threads, including in the dealer discussion section. Not only among the lowest prices, but very honest! If they say "yes" believe them! If not--try a different brands, like Bashan as Davidwojo1059 mentioned. I have seen them (the Bashan enduro lineup) on the most recent EPA/DOT list as being certified for 49 states, with California being the exception.

Davidwojo1059--you have the Brozz, bro (couldn't resist!)? What size counter-sprocket and what size rear sprocket came on it, stock?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Isn't it 'Haosen' or something like that?

Here they are.

http://www.haosenmotor.com/

/
They are listed on the EPA off-road list, not on the EPA/DOT list. Several states seem to strictly go by the EPA/DOT list, and if I remember a few members over the years, NJ is one of them. If not on the list--no go! The loophole for the Hawk is in those states that go by street equipment; I recall a member or two being able to register their Hawk in NY, for instance, but again, I recall members over the years being denied NJ plates because Jersey goes by the EPA/DOT approved list.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #7

Bashon brozz

Hi Calcune, My brozz came with a few features that really surprised me, To answer your question, seventeen on the counter shaft. I haven't counted the rear. I am thinking it is in the low fifties, when I count them I will post it for you. Back to surprises, The battery is Yuasa vented acid but still not some unreconisable brand. The speedo is digital Large number, easy to see, the tachometer is just the opposite. And a fuel gauge (sorry not digital). I am still in aaw over all the additional features for a little bit more money.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

The Brozz has been a bit of a mystery around Chinariders. The past distributor for the Brozz/Shark was Peace who are known for scooters. They seemed to have them at a pretty high wholesale price because seemingly NO ONE had them listed--ever! That is why the Storm, and to a lesser extent, the Will, became so popular. I keep thinking there was another Bashan that was very popular around chinariders.

I am still a little confused about the Brozz/Shark bikes, as to where they fit in the lineup, since the Storm will be once again sold in droves as they have seemed to arrived in the US, and at the same price. One feature that confuses me is that both the Brozz/Shark have drum rear brakes, while the Shark also has standard forks, but both seem like they are supposed to be'premium' bikes in the Bashan lineup. Don't get me wrong; I don't think that either bike is 'bad', just confusing as to where they are supposed to fit in Bashans lineup. The other thing I DO know that I really, really want a Brozz...and I want the color scheme of the Shark (ok, that part is not happening). You are the second person to post as getting one of these bikes, so I look forward to your experiences, and member 'SANY's experiences with the bike. My guess is there soon will be others...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The Brozz has been a bit of a mystery around Chinariders. The past distributor for the Brozz/Shark was Peace who are known for scooters. They seemed to have them at a pretty high wholesale price because seemingly NO ONE had them listed--ever! That is why the Storm, and to a lesser extent, the Will, became so popular. I keep thinking there was another Bashan that was very popular around chinariders.

I am still a little confused about the Brozz/Shark bikes, as to where they fit in the lineup, since the Storm will be once again sold in droves as they have seemed to arrived in the US, and at the same price. One feature that confuses me is that both the Brozz/Shark have drum rear brakes, while the Shark also has standard forks, but both seem like they are supposed to be'premium' bikes in the Bashan lineup. Don't get me wrong; I don't think that either bike is 'bad', just confusing as to where they are supposed to fit in Bashans lineup. The other thing I DO know that I really, really want a Brozz...and I want the color scheme of the Shark (ok, that part is not happening). You are the second person to post as getting one of these bikes, so I look forward to your experiences, and member 'SANY's experiences with the bike. My guess is there soon will be others...
Yes , who made the call to equip with rear drum. Has every thing going for it on the brozz then this. Strange, it would have been a direct competitor for the csc tt250. Even more withe the tach and digital speedo. Mostly all I can come up with is that these units are already pre-built and at the end of the line the different features are added, but somehow forget the rear disk brakes.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HASE View Post
I am trying to purchase a Hawk 250 and wanted to know if anyone had luck at dmv in NJ. I found the NJ approved list but cant seem to find Hawk unless it is under the Chinese name on the MSO/MCO like most of them on this list.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...ufacturers.pdf
This shows Bashan's approval (I copied and pasted from the link above):

LHJ Chongqing Astronautical Bashan Motorcycle Manufacture Co., LTD

I should mention, it is interesting seeing some defunct Chinese brands still on the list (my guess for used bike sales)...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Tags
nj hawk 250