Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #1

Issue changing tube

Hey all - I've got a tmec 200.. 2014, been horribly cared for by past owners. I've got it all working again minus getting air in the front tube.

I've tried changing the tube 5x now and always get a tear at some point.. tear or pinhole leak. The front tire is original (so from 2014) and is pretty damn stiff. I don't know if it's my technique or the tire that's a problem at this point.

Any suggestions? Will new rubber make this a lot easier? I've got a good bit of mechanic experience, but this is the first tire/tube change for me on a motorcycle.

Local shop wants ~$80 for replacing it, which seems insane. I can buy a tire for that much.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #2

Stiff front tires are the worst. The best thing you could do if reusing the old tire is to warm it up, leave it out in the sun for a while prior to changing it or heat it with a heat gun. The valve stem area is the tricky part. The way I do it is to insert the tube valve stem through the hole and put the nut on it. Then set the wheel into the pre warmed tire, hold the tube out while setting tire onto rim on one side once tire is on on one side lace tube around the rim. Next put just a small amount of air into the tube. Now all you have to do is put the tire on rim. It helps to have a rim stop, motion pro sells a cheap one that works good. And a couple or three rounded end spoons to put the tire on the rim. If you have a rim lock inside your tire its best to watch a you tube video to do that. Good luck
Also use a small amount of dishwashing liquid on the tire for lube. It helps to slide the tire on and once dry is sticky.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 08-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #3

If you dont have good levers, get some heavy duty ones. Use plenty of soap and take your time. I like to add a little bit of air into the tube to have it hold its shape. Anytime I put a lever in, I make sure it is not pinching. If a lever is hard to get out, I found out that if you press on the tire where it is stuck helps with easing the tool out. Once the tire is almost on break the bead on the opposite end of where you are working then lever on the last section.

Like herbie said, leave it out in the sun or use some heat.

Good luck!