Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

wheel bearings

well im at about 3600 km and am thinking about tearing into the wheel bearings. I did a brief search and read some stuff but just want to ask again if any of you have any advice on this matter. I dont seem to have any issues with them, but just want to check anyway.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #2

My bearings were completly messed up after aprox 5000 km. I think they are shipped with way too little grease. Fortunatly they are standard size, so you can replace them with Japanese quality ones.

Tip for the DIY mechanic: Put the new bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes, and they will shrink 1% in size. This way they are easier to install. They will regain their normal size when they reach room temp. :wink:

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #3

BTW: after replacing the bearings, the topspeed increased from 120km/t to 130km/t and my front wheel stopped shaking.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

well i pulled the rear wheel off today in the rain (stupid idea) and inspected the bearings. both sides are insanely easy to get to. there was a lot of grease but I jammed as much more as I could in there which really wasnt much and just made a mess. for some reason I greased the axle bolt too which made reinstalling it a total hassle. when the weather clears I am going to get the wobble out of my front tire (I actually did okay truing the rear...good enough anyway dont wanna drop 90.00 right now) and inspect those bearings too. I was considering packing my chain with a bunch of grease, letting it sit over night maybe and then wiping the excess off.

it seems like this little bike is going to be fairly dependable transportation despite a few early issues.

even though I took a fit about the inevitable vibes that cropped up, and even though I had some issues with my local dealer, I love the darned thing. Every day I get to enjoy 60mpg and the open road, I am glad I bought it.

I love my bike. I really do. Is that sick? Probably, but its a good kind of sickness.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #5

I was poking through the parts manual for my bike today, and found the wheel bearings listed as "Bearing 6300RS". 6300rs is a standard sized bearing. You can get them just about anywhere, and they aren't very expensive at all. I would say low end would be around $5 each, and maybe high end (Timken, torrington, Fafnir) might go for $10 each. These are double sealed bearings, so grease really doesn't need to be used on them. The only placed I actually put a some grease on my rear axle was on the left hand side (sprocket side), in the hub seal. And I didn't use very much at all, just enough to lube the seal so that it wouldn't run dry on the little spacer that goes into it. It (the spacer) was already (with only 38 miles on the bike) starting to show wear marks made by the seal running dry on it. I didn't see a # on the seal, but you could probably take it out (carefully) and take it (or all the parts, including the rear wheel) down to a bearing house and they could find a match for it. I've fixed lots of stuff this way when i couldn't get an actual part number for a bearing or seal.
Good luck.
NV

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #6

NV, Thanks for that info. Should be able to go to any bearing shop with that number to get one?

Allen

Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #7

Bearing Distributors is my favorite secret spot

Honda fork seals, $27 per side

Fork seals from them, $4 per side.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
NV, Thanks for that info. Should be able to go to any bearing shop with that number to get one?

Allen
Ya, you should be able to. I did a quick google and came up with this:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/6300RS

$4.95 each

NV

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

Good deal. That probably need to go into the parts sticky.

Allen

Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #10

bearing sizes

I recently had this topic, also to do with bearing sizes. (back wheel)
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...hlight=bearing
I replaced my bearings with these:
BEARING BORE O.D. WIDTH PRICE
6302-2RS 15MM 42MM 13MM 1.12

They are sealed on both sides.

These bearings and seals are dirt cheap if you go to a bearing place.

While you are busy with those bearings, have a close look at the seals on the caliper side, I've seen posts and experienced it myself that they are too big on the inner diameter and so they allow dirt and water in.

The thickness of the seals are 7mm, but I could only get 8mm, which I'm 99% sure will fit. (haven't received them yet, I should probably follow up on them)
Oil seals
BORE O.D. WIDTH
24 42 7 (I'm planning to change this one to a 25, 42,8)
28 42 7
'94-'95 Honda CB650
'90-'93 Honda MT5 and MB5