Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

Roketa 250 strip down and maint.

Moving my original post to here.... Starting a project on a Roketa 250 scooter. Purchased 3rd person. 2nd owner had for almost 2 years but didn't do anything with it. (old man who didn't have the energy to ride anymore) 1st owner did a lot of crazy things to the bike. Reason I know the 2nd owner didn't ride much is the last odo on the title when registed 2 years prior was only 1 mile under where the current mileage was. It has 12k on it. It's missing a lot of bolts, nuts, and major parts the more I dig. Small things like nuts and bolts are easy to come by and add, However the intake didn't even have an air box attached??? What's up? So far I've changed to oil and spark plug. Fixing to drain and refill the gear oil. Getting things secured and tied like loose wires and everything just to make sure it's safe and secure. Drained the tank and ordered a new fuel filter. Cleaned the carb. Inspected the wiring and needed to add some shrink tubing on the plug that went to the ignition since 2 wires looked they had been spliced. Remote for the bike doesn't work and found the speakers and box unplugged and wires cut. Horn doesn't work, tried to bypass to a speaker and it's the horn not switch. Going to post pics.... I've said it before and I'll say it again. Please feel free to voice any opinion, or advice that would be helpful or not! I like to hear what everyone has to say!!! You never know diff of opinions leads to learning!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #2

Pictures of the stock photo and what I have. Notice both of the bottom skirts (I call them) are missing on each side of the foot rests. Among other things....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1181805481829.jpg (78.4 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_153712_139.jpg (95.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_153725_870.jpg (96.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg roketamc-4.jpg (20.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg roketamc-2.jpg (20.2 KB, 191 views)

Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

I don't know if any of these match up the body on yours.

http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CHASSIS_PARTS.html

Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

That's a nice looking scooter. I hope you can find the correct body panels.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

That's not a prob Spud! At roketa parts .com they have every part still avail for this scooter. The great thing is it's still a production bike under various labels... Therefore the parts are affordable and readily avail. Sad part is they are a whopping $55 a side. It's ok though I want it to be complete when I get through. Only problem is the new panels are going to look a lot better than the rest. Thinking about repainting it in the process of everything. What is considered to be a good all around color for these scooters?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
That's not a prob Spud! At roketa parts .com they have every part still avail for this scooter. The great thing is it's still a production bike under various labels... Therefore the parts are affordable and readily avail. Sad part is they are a whopping $55 a side. It's ok though I want it to be complete when I get through. Only problem is the new panels are going to look a lot better than the rest. Thinking about repainting it in the process of everything. What is considered to be a good all around color for these scooters?
I'm glad you can find the body panels. A price of $55/panel is not bad when you consider the price of Japanese parts.

I suggest you paint your scooter with Krylon Fusion for plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Krylon Fusion spray paint is available in many nice colors; choose your favorite.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #7

You could also try Plasti-dip spray, because you can simply peel it off if you don't like it.

Your scooter looks a lot like Pastor Jim's last scooter, which was a Saga 250: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10200

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #8

You're exactly right it does look like Pastor's. In fact it's one of those other name brands with the exact same look and parts as mine! They've branded it atleast 5 times that i know of. They refer to it as a Honda clone specifically the Silver Wing or something close. I've also been reading and found it has all the same parts the Honda Helix used to use when it was built. Such as engine, trans, carb and many other parts. I'm really thinking about the Plasti-dip thing Weld. Also Spud if I decide to go the Krylon route any particular method you suggest me use? I'm wondering if I should go over it lastly with a clear coat. I've never used spray paint on some project like this...

Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
You're exactly right it does look like Pastor's. In fact it's one of those other name brands with the exact same look and parts as mine! They've branded it atleast 5 times that i know of. They refer to it as a Honda clone specifically the Silver Wing or something close. I've also been reading and found it has all the same parts the Honda Helix used to use when it was built. Such as engine, trans, carb and many other parts. I'm really thinking about the Plasti-dip thing Weld. Also Spud if I decide to go the Krylon route any particular method you suggest me use? I'm wondering if I should go over it lastly with a clear coat. I've never used spray paint on some project like this...
I wouldn't use a clear coat. The Krylon Fusion produces a very nice, durable finish by itself. Just follow the directions on the can, and you will get very good results with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

bwhitsonjr, I recommend that you read the thread on Pastor Jim's scooter, since it will help to familiarize you.

On his previous scooter (which was 50cc), the stock airbox and muffler were terribly restrictive, so I welded a less restrictive muffler on and used a pod air filter. I increased the slow and main jets to compensate.

When he got his 250, we looked at the stock airbox and decided that it wasn't too restrictive and chose to keep it in place. That said, a pod filter would be an easy install on your scooter, rather than sourcing the original airbox.

Page three of my thread on Pastor Jim's 250 shows that I installed a ZX-6 muffler. The stock muffler was heavy, and it had a catalytic converter inside that was quite restrictive. Jets are very easy to find for that carb. Slow jet: http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carbure...99103-MA1.html Main jet: http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carbure...und_28-xxx.htm

Please measure the OD of your carb inlet, and let us know the size in millimetres. We can probably guide you towards a pod from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #11

Very helpful and informative Weld! Thanks a million! I will check that out as soon as I get past one thing. We know that mine isn't restrictive at the moment since I don't have one. With that being said we've pulled the carb and cleaned that as well as changed the spark plug. Drained old fuel out and put fresh fuel along with a new fuel filter. (not a factory one just one I found down at Auto Zone) Doubt that is my problem. But just to recap we have air, spark, and fuel being delivered. When you crank it up it will idle no problem. The minute you start to put a load on it it wants to die. If you give it more throttle then it starts puffing out black smoke and really wants to die out. If you hold the throttle at constant the engine will fluctuate in rpm's on it's own. If you don't back down on the throttle slowly to idle it will die and puff a little smoke back out of the intake. And if you let off of it, it will die. Is this a sign of the CDI? I thought I remember reading somewhere this as the culprit. If not what are the signs of a bad CDI? Thanks again guys!

Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #12

Could be, but you can't effectively diagnose it until you have an air filter on there. Tell us the outside diameter of the carb inlet.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

I think that you need to install a filter to make it rev up. Also the choke is automatic. It is a fuel enrichener. It may not be working properly.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #14

The next thing on my list for sure is a new air filter. Also I'm shrugging on the next thing to do regarding the replacement of the CDI. I hope the air filter works... If not next step will be to replace the CDI.... And if to no avail if that doesn't work then I will replace the Carb I guess..... I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel but it's not looking too bright! I believe it's worth the time and money but what if non of that works??? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there... Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #15

Please don't fall out of your chair laughing after I tell you this.... But tonight while tinkering I found the gap specs under the seat.... Boy was I way off!!! I pulled the old plug out of engine and when I replaced it I just assumed that, that was the correct gap. I was way off!!!!!! The spec is 0.7mm.... I had my plug gaped to 0.3mm..... Now I assumed that this might help with the engine bogging as I brought the speed up as to maybe it wasn't burning off enough gas. But.... this didn't help at all. So onto plan B which is to order a CDI box and see what that does. I've also been seeing where a lot of people refer to that as a rev box as well.