Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

Washington Backcountry Discovery Route Ride 7/29-7/31 for RX-3

Wanted to let all RX-3 riders know we are going to do a portion of the WABDR July 29th-31st. Typically the route goes from border of Oregon all the way up to Canada, and is usually a 5-6 day adventure. To encourage more members to come and make it easier for majority of schedules, we will condense the best portions of the route into a 3 day window instead. Using facebook group and local rider connections it sounds like so far we'll have around 6-7 RX-3's on the trip, and maybe a TT-250 as well. Number could fall or rise dramatically as usually is the case for group rides, but hopefully we'll have even more. If interested in going or getting more details you can post here or send me a private message.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Thumbs Up Washington bdr

Hello superdude,

I'm very interested and would be traveling up from Northern California. Please include me on the list. I'm also interested in an arctic circle trip, maybe others are as well? 2016 Sahara Orange

Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

I think you're mistaken. The WABDR starts at the Canadian border, and goes south all the way to Oregon.

I'd love to join, but Mrs. Weldangrind and I already have camping reservations at that time. Who knows, maybe I can sneak away...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideabout View Post
Hello superdude,

I'm very interested and would be traveling up from Northern California. Please include me on the list. I'm also interested in an arctic circle trip, maybe others are as well? 2016 Sahara Orange
I will add you to the list of those interested in going rideabout. Would be great if you rode up from Northern California and I can relay that info to others that may be interested in riding up from same area and maybe wanna join.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I think you're mistaken. The WABDR starts at the Canadian border, and goes south all the way to Oregon.

I'd love to join, but Mrs. Weldangrind and I already have camping reservations at that time. Who knows, maybe I can sneak away...
ha yes apologies for my misunderstanding of the route Weldangrind. It most definitely does start in Canada and THEN ends in Oregon, and not the other way around. That type of knowledge and wisdom is what we need on the trip and why you should ride down so you can ride the route back up with us.

Side note I'm gonna be going up through B.C. again June 9-11th through Kalowna/Merritt/Kamloops same area as last time. Only road we for sure want to do is HWY 3 going west (I think called something different by you though) but otherwise we are trying to figure out some more great roads to that take us west towards Surrey border crossing.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I think you're mistaken. The WABDR starts at the Canadian border, and goes south all the way to Oregon. ...

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

I did this ride 2 years ago with Roger, and may be interested in doing part of it again with you all.

Could you tolerate a DRZ400S?

Have you done it before? Do you have the GPS tracks and program?

Are you camping or moteling (credit card camping)?

Without a GPS program it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find your way if not an expert on the local geography and very frustrating and even dangerous to get lost.

Roger and I did the Oregon route last year without a program (just maps and a GPS but not programmed) and it was a HUGE hassle and we spent A LOT of time trying to get on track.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

BTW it's all about Washington. LOL

Old 05-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I did this ride 2 years ago with Roger, and may be interested in doing part of it again with you all.

Could you tolerate a DRZ400S?

Have you done it before? Do you have the GPS tracks and program?

Are you camping or moteling (credit card camping)?

Without a GPS program it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find your way if not an expert on the local geography and very frustrating and even dangerous to get lost.

Roger and I did the Oregon route last year without a program (just maps and a GPS but not programmed) and it was a HUGE hassle and we spent A LOT of time trying to get on track.
Hey fastdoc. For this trip its just RX-3's and tt-250s, similar to what CSC does for their Baja rides, and that way all the CSC enthusiasts and owners can connect and share in the experience of such a cool ride like this. I guess someone could put some knobbies on the RC-3 sportbike when those come out, that would be an approved bike as well. I've ridden portions of the route already and will do some more recon work before the ride, but we'll definitely use GPS route and Butlers maps to do the route the right way and avoid getting lost or spending time trying to figure out where we are. We'll be doing hotel and camping. I myself probably will hotel it a night and camp another night but not sure yet. Glad to hear your feedback on the route though. You think you'll have an RX-3 before summer you can take with us?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

It would be easier to put a 'Made In China' sticker on my Suzuki.

Sorry I will miss out on your ride. It's a wonderful route.

Other logistical hurdle is the non-loop aspect.

Roger and I rode the route to the Canadian border, then cannonballed the asphalt byways back to the truck parked in Stevenson, on the Columbia. LONG RIDE on a KLX and WR that day...

Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
It would be easier to put a 'Made In China' sticker on my Suzuki.

Sorry I will miss out on your ride. It's a wonderful route.

Other logistical hurdle is the non-loop aspect.

Roger and I rode the route to the Canadian border, then cannonballed the asphalt byways back to the truck parked in Stevenson, on the Columbia. LONG RIDE on a KLX and WR that day...
ya thats definitely one of the challenges. I might hit you up for some ride and route advice closer to when we're leaving, if you're wanting to dole some out

Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Got more ride details posted on this page. Public page viewable by anyone even if you dont have facebook I believe:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1089880997734659/

Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #13

I would be happy to share whatever little bit of experience I have. I have done most of the ride. There are some parts that are more challenging than others of course, but there is no part of the ride that is not a wonderful pleasure to be on.

So far I have been blessed with doing the Washington ride, the Oregon ride, and although not officially, I have seen a fair bit of Idaho Utah and Wyoming and California :-)

God willing, these wonderful things to do in life will continue for sometime, for all of us! I look forward to seeing your pictures.

If you guys do decide you want a token Japanese bike along, let me know. I would seriously be interested in doing a couple days or so with you.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
ha yes apologies for my misunderstanding of the route Weldangrind. It most definitely does start in Canada and THEN ends in Oregon, and not the other way around. That type of knowledge and wisdom is what we need on the trip and why you should ride down so you can ride the route back up with us.

Side note I'm gonna be going up through B.C. again June 9-11th through Kalowna/Merritt/Kamloops same area as last time. Only road we for sure want to do is HWY 3 going west (I think called something different by you though) but otherwise we are trying to figure out some more great roads to that take us west towards Surrey border crossing.
1. I'm sure you can ride it either way.
2. The Butler map for WABDR starts in the south and goes north.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
Hey fastdoc. For this trip its just RX-3's and tt-250s, similar to what CSC does for their Baja rides, and that way all the CSC enthusiasts and owners can connect and share in the experience of such a cool ride like this.
If that's the case, I'm out. I have a Lifan.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer